PDA

View Full Version : International organisations: totally - or only partly - useless ?

AlpineSkier
31st Jan 2013, 23:12
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/entwicklungshilfe-waldstrategie-der-weltbank-weitgehend-nutzlos-a-880564.htm

This is a report from the World Bank showing that the last TEN years of effort to improve the lots of indigenous people in forested areas hae been a total failure ( well above 90% anyway ) and that 75% had failed in Latin America, Africa and Asia

Dushan
31st Jan 2013, 23:38
You needed a report to tell you that?

Tableview
1st Feb 2013, 05:06
It's called 'stating the bleeding obvious'. UNESCO, FAO, UN, UNHCR, bunch of pompous fatcats travelling first class and enriching themselves, producing reports and down on the ground nothing changes for the majority.

I have seen much of it first hand in Africa. And a friend of mine used to work for FAO, some of the stories I heard were shameful. Truly.

radeng
1st Feb 2013, 10:02
What about ICAO, ITU, IMO, WMO, ISO? Although they are all somewhat different to UNHCR etc.

OFSO
1st Feb 2013, 12:18
My former employer, the European Space Agency, highly successful, delivers a lot for about 25% of what NASA used to be budgeted, has developed most of the technology that today brings you satellite TV, weather, earth resources, comms, space science etc. etc. blah blah blah and is an International Organisation with 18 member states and recognised to be the best integrated of any international organisation (i.e., most staff members could swear fluently in up to five languages if necessary).

An example of a good one. Oh and do we need it ? Well, ESA creates jobs for roughly 100,000 around the globe.

UniFoxOs
1st Feb 2013, 17:19
I rather think the OP was referring to "huggy fluffy" organisations rather than ones that exist for a non-emotive purpose.

(Can't read the press article because it's in krautish)

UFO

rgbrock1
1st Feb 2013, 17:42
I think the International Red Cross does a fine and exemplary job.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Feb 2013, 18:31
Red Cross
I'm a volunteer with them (supervisor, instructor). Very well organised at the regional/National level and with great people. I haven't yet met an idiot, and I can't say that about any other organisation I've worked for (including the RAF).

green granite
1st Feb 2013, 18:41
This is a report from the World Bank showing that the last TEN years of effort to improve the lots of indigenous people in forested areas hae been a total failure ( well above 90% anyway ) and that 75% had failed in Latin America, Africa and Asia

That depends from your perspective, the general object of the UN organizations of taking from the poor of the rich countries and giving it to the rich of the poor countries has by and large succeeded, thus enriching the Gnomes in Zurich.

Dushan
1st Feb 2013, 19:48
Red Cross
I'm a volunteer with them (supervisor, instructor). Very well organised at the regional/National level and with great people. I haven't yet met an idiot, and I can't say that about any other organisation I've worked for (including the RAF).

So this proves it; Temp Spike never worked for IRC as he claimed.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Feb 2013, 22:16
I've met some American RC people, but I don't think I've met Temp Spike.

Sorry to spoil your theory.

obgraham
2nd Feb 2013, 04:45
Though the IRC may get some good things done, the American RC is a cash stealing inefficient bureaucracy of the highest order. Enormous infrastructure, huge cash throughput, only occasional successful work.