PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair loses court case

radeng
31st Jan 2013, 17:01
BBC News - Ryanair ash cloud case: EU's top court rules against airline (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21273666)

SpringHeeledJack
31st Jan 2013, 17:12
In this case what can a business do if a major weather/world event happens ? I do think that it's deplorable how some passengers are treated when things go wrong during transportation, but if the airline physically can't operate due to law and weather that's pretty bad luck. Maybe minimal reasonable aid/compensation is justified and the rest born by the passenger either directly or through travel insurance.

SHJ

Tankertrashnav
31st Jan 2013, 17:15
Nice one radeng. It's already being discussed here http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/506758-stranded-passengers-decision-could-very-far-reaching.html#post7667653, but why should we have to go to R & N and mix with those funny people you get on there when we can have our own thread on JB :ok:

For my own part I'm no more an O'Leary fan than most, but on this occasion I reckon Ryanair have been hard done-by.

vulcanised
31st Jan 2013, 20:00
For my own part I'm no more an O'Leary fan than most, but on this occasion I reckon Ryanair have been hard done-by.

My feelings also, but I'm also wondering what the knock-on effect is going to be. Another legal verdict flying in the face of common sense.

Tableview
31st Jan 2013, 20:14

Add me to that list. It creates a very unhealthy precedent for an industry which is already suffering from over-regulation. Typical of what happens when you get Europrats meddling in things of which they have no knowledge.

Sallyann1234
31st Jan 2013, 21:17
Agreed. These rules are a heavy penalty on airlines that are in no way responsible for the delays.
It should be down to pax to insure against delays caused by freak conditions.

UniFoxOs
1st Feb 2013, 08:06
And presumably since this is a ruling by a "top EU court" and that :-

On such occasions there is no limit - in time or money - to the airline's duty to look after its passengers, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruled.

it opens the doors for EVERY pax of EVERY airline that was inconvenienced by the event to claim whatever they can.

UFO

The SSK
1st Feb 2013, 10:09
In the middle of last year, when it looked as if things might go pear-shaped in Iran (mushroom-shaped?) that a good idea might be to buy a fully flexible ticket to Tehran, and every day re-book the trip for the following day. Then, when the airport closed/was obliterated, whatever, invoke Regulation 261 and insist that the airline provide hotel accommodation and three meals a day until such time it was able to fulfil its contract.