PDA

View Full Version : 1970s kids' TV theme tune - please help!

Hokulea
31st Jan 2013, 06:57
I live in the middle of nowhere but still need my fix of UK TV which I can't get via cable or satellite so it's netflix and occasionally Amazon. I've recently been running out of good British comedy series to watch but saw a few good reviews about "Spaced" so am watching the series via netflix. Can't make up my mind about it right now, but was watching episode 4 in the first season and there's some music they play which immediately reminded me of a children's TV show I must have watched growing up in the early 70s - maybe mid-70s, not sure exactly when the show was on air.

But I cannot remember what show it was and it's driving me nuts! This music will be in my head until I finally remember. I hadn't heard this particular music for nearly 40 years I guess, so am just asking if someone could put me out of my misery!

It's the music played between 7:24 and 7:38 in this youtube clip.

Spaced Series 1 Episode 4 Part 1 - YouTube

Please help!

Sprogget
31st Jan 2013, 07:08
Roobarb and custard 1974 - YouTube

Hokulea
31st Jan 2013, 07:16
Thank you so much, Sprogget! Yes, that's it, what a wonderful show it was!

maliyahsdad2
31st Jan 2013, 08:51
Good choice of program, stick with it. The one where they all go clubbing "Epiphanies" series 1 episode 6 is one of my favorites! I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but some very clever subtle comedy as well as some in your face stuff! Lots of homages to 70's and 80's culture (?) too.

Hokulea
31st Jan 2013, 09:54
Thanks, maliyahsdad2, I'm certainly starting to enjoy it. Just finished episode 5 so will watch the next episode tomorrow if I can. The references to the 70s and 80s are definitely there and after sneaking a very quick look at the start of episode 6 I now have Come on Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners in my head!

reynoldsno1
31st Jan 2013, 23:33
Got the whole series on DVD on a whim - it's a keeper. It gets better & better ...

11Fan
1st Feb 2013, 03:13
Just started watching it on Netflix now. Kind of a slow start. It gets better I trust.

Hokulea
1st Feb 2013, 07:46
There are some laugh out loud bits in Spaced but I've now watched the first series and am not convinced. I love the vivisection episode (episode 4?) but episode 6, the clubbing episode, left me bemused. I guess it's just personal taste in the end. I'll watch the second series, hell, I've run out of good Brit TV comedies to watch, but I got the answer I wanted earlier on so I'm happy!

Sprogget
1st Feb 2013, 08:01
The point of episode six is ecstasy.

Hokulea
1st Feb 2013, 08:08
Thanks, Sprogget. I did get that but still didn't find it very funny - amusing, yes. Maybe I missed out on a bit of UK culture in my younger years. I'll watch that episode again though, I often find comedy funnier the second time around once I understand the gist of it. Just a slow learner I guess...

Sprogget
1st Feb 2013, 08:14
To expand, the point of that episode is how it expands the characters when they take it & Tyres' turn as an ecstasy casualty which they use as a running joke I.e. he only has to hear the phone ring to be back on a rave.

Spaced is a class act all the way through with some of the best characters ever written into a sitcom imo with Brian & Mike smashing the boundaries of what can be done in the format. Chuck in the endless cultural references and some fantastic gags - Twist for example; What do you do? I work in fashion, cuts away to Twist in the dry cleaners and you have one of the highest regarded comedy shows Channel 4 ever produced.

Still, there's always endless knob gags in Mrs Browns Boys for everyone else. Horses for courses.

Hokulea
1st Feb 2013, 08:40
Oh, the rave bit when the phone was ringing was definitely one of the laugh out loud bits, loved that!

Don't get me wrong, I think I'll grow to love it but it's taking a while. Black Books took me a couple of episodes to get it and now I think of it as one of the funniest UK comedies ever. Others may not agree. Same with The IT Crowd. Maybe it's just me getting older or living in a very different culture now, but it's taking me longer than it used to to find a UK sitcom funny.

Incidentally, one of my favourite UK movies is Shaun of the Dead so seeing those two characters was wonderful in Spaced! I also enjoyed the cop movie they did - can't remember the name of it right now and it's too close to bedtime to bother with a google search.

Sprogget
1st Feb 2013, 09:09
Hot Fuzz. The common denominator is Edgar Wright. He produced and directed Spaced, Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz.

MagnusP
1st Feb 2013, 11:06
Hokulea, have you tried the UK series "Coupling"? It's like a more grown-up version of Friends. Series 1 episode 5 "The Girl With Two Breasts" is one of the funniest telly moments I've seen. I can't access yootoob from here, so don't know if it's available there.

vulcanised
1st Feb 2013, 12:02
Coupling was great, as was Green Wing (also starring Sarah Alexander, but that's just coincidence).

Sprogget
1st Feb 2013, 12:41
Or Green Wing also starring Mark Heap who played Brian in Spaced.

Green Wing - Dr Alan Statham at the Charity Meeting - YouTube

MagnusP
1st Feb 2013, 13:32
Aaahh, vulcanised, the delightful Ms Alexander (now 42) who for a time lived with Gerald Harper (now 83). Dunno why; she could've had me. :p