PDA

View Full Version : 5 years ago........today.

SMOC
31st Jan 2013, 04:42
YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pCQuin8ccos&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpCQuin8ccos%26feature%3Dplayer_em bedded&gl=GB)

:ok:

Flying Mechanic
31st Jan 2013, 12:56
Awesome flyby! Shame it went on you tube.

4 driver
31st Jan 2013, 18:59
wasn't it a bit of a tradition? can anyone confirm or deny....?
The beginning of the mobile phone photo/video controversies.

Arfur Dent
31st Jan 2013, 20:35
And how The Management ran!!

Captain Dart
31st Jan 2013, 21:25
...and do not forget that the management pilot involved had been a member of the infamous and cowardly Star Chamber.

But after this effort, he got Star Chambered himself!

Molokai
31st Jan 2013, 22:08
Heard from a reliable source in KAL that the skipper went to Korean and was washed out during sim training! Maybe the Alteon guys at ICN were " jealous "! I was also told that many of them had never flown the T7 before, so his " ground effect " flypast must really have made them very green.

cxorcist
31st Jan 2013, 23:07
Too low? Definitely!

Intentionally that low? I seriously doubt it.

Isn't the skipper now at Qatari or some other sandbox job?

SMOC
1st Feb 2013, 01:16
Is he not the one who leaked "the list" that apparently showed up NR in court after he said no notes were taken :}

AnAmusedReader
1st Feb 2013, 06:57
Yes he was. Last heard of in the desert CP on the -777.

arse
1st Feb 2013, 07:53
Tradition? YES
Tradition to do it that low? NO!
Too Low? Absolutely!
Intended to be that low? Probably. I would think the pilot was using the RA very carefully, but was not accounting for the droop at the rear. RA reading probably 30 FT or so, but tail only 15 FT or so. Just a guess, but low awareness!
Where is he now? Moved on from the Gulf job!
Who else was on the flightdeck? A BTC in the right seat (who didn't know he was planning on going that low?). CEO or DFO in the jump seat? Relief standing in the doorway.

Overall: Poorly executed. Low awareness. Poor communication. Score 1. Refly!

doubleu-anker
1st Feb 2013, 09:35
In other words, a spur of the moment, cowboy bet up. A hanging offence now in most Ag aviation companies, let alone a top heavy "airline".

Leave the low flying to the experts.

Best Rate
1st Feb 2013, 10:25
'Gutsiest move I ever saw man......'

BusyB
1st Feb 2013, 10:50
Some folks really like to pile on the criticism. I understand it had been done on previous flights and was practised in the simulator beforehand. I still think its on the low side but it was not a Public Transport Flight.

White None
1st Feb 2013, 14:52
Not that we'll ever know, but I'd bet my hat that 99% of those saying it was too low, unsafe etc are the guys who were actually LL trained in a previous life, and all those suggesting it was OK weren't. And sorry..."practiced in the sim" - Hilarious!

Now..... where's my hat?

broadband circuit
1st Feb 2013, 16:02
but it was not a Public Transport Flight.

No, it wasn't, but he had about 50 passengers onboard.

Plus he had enough fuel to reach HK, so I'm guessing it was pretty heavy, and lots of inertia if he'd suffered any unexpected sink.

50 POB and 100T+ of fuel (fuel figure is a rough guess)

If he'd done it during the acceptance flight schedule with 4 POB and 10T, then maybe it might have been less extreme. To do it full of fuel with passengers onboard was reckless at very best. IMHO

treboryelk
1st Feb 2013, 22:50
White None,

What LL training are you referring to?

Abbeville
1st Feb 2013, 23:31
Which ever way you cut it the bloke in the LHS behaved like an utter TAWT.

He has to live with it so best let him be.

Old news

Calvin Hops
2nd Feb 2013, 00:55
Heard from a reliable source in KAL that the skipper went to Korean and was washed out during sim training! Maybe the Alteon guys at ICN were " jealous "! I was also told that many of them had never flown the T7 before, so his " ground effect " flypast must really have made them very green.

Yep, he was washed out at KAL. QR seems like a good fit for him.

nitpicker330
2nd Feb 2013, 02:05
Every ferry flight departs with full tanks courtesy Boeing. :ok:

Dan Winterland
2nd Feb 2013, 02:52
It's a case of "Normalcy of Devience". We don't really know how low the previous flypasts were as this was the first to be publicly recorded. The fallout cost Cathay dear though.

turnandburn
2nd Feb 2013, 02:55
total pob was closer to 110

cabin crew and flight plus lots of others
was a PR flight

White None
2nd Feb 2013, 05:00
Every ferry flight departs with full tanks courtesy Boeing

Sorry to Nitpick but - Not True

The Messiah
2nd Feb 2013, 06:45
Sorry to Nitpick but - Not True
Correct. They give you the fuel you ask for the intended flight.

White None
2nd Feb 2013, 06:59
Correct. They give you the fuel you ask for the intended flightBut only provide FOC sufficient for you to leave US Airspace!

broadband circuit
2nd Feb 2013, 10:58
Every ferry flight departs with full tanks courtesy Boeing.

They give you the fuel you ask for the intended flight.

Strangely enough, you're both right in a way.

If we're buying the airframe, we get requested fuel. Apparently if we are picking it up as a lease (ie airframe actually owned by a leasing company such as ILFC), then as part of the lease it normally starts with full fuel.

White None
2nd Feb 2013, 11:30
But only provide FOC sufficient for you to leave US Airspace

Yes I know I'm quoting myself but I was serious, if we buy one, they provide our requested fuel for the trip but only sufficient for physical export fm US supplied free.

Basil
2nd Feb 2013, 12:45
Every ferry flight departs with full tanks courtesy Boeing.
I understood that to be correct if you take the aircraft and go but not if you carry out an acceptance check and bring the aircraft back for rectification of defects found.

mr Q
3rd Feb 2013, 08:13
What was the fallout to Cathay ??

VR-HFX
4th Feb 2013, 09:51
mr Q

Rogered Wilko.