PDA

View Full Version : No more Defence cuts......

Roland Pulfrew
30th Jan 2013, 21:18
According to the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9838305/No-more-defence-cuts-says-David-Cameron.html) tomorrow. We can only hope it's true, so no more cuts and a referendum on Europe - must be an election coming up!!

Stuff
30th Jan 2013, 21:47
Interesting timing considering DMS20 has just been published which clearly shows where the cuts in Defence Medical Services are being made in 2020.

Easy Street
30th Jan 2013, 22:28
Whilst the article is ostensibly about the 2015 SDSR-2, what about all the cuts decided in SDSR-1, PR11 and PR12 that have yet to be announced or implemented? They will keep coming during the next 2 years, and while they aren't "new" cuts, they will be as far as the press, public and Opposition are concerned. These measures will take the sheen off any 'no cuts post-2015' rhetoric.

Biggus
30th Jan 2013, 23:02
Who said Cameron would still be PM by the middle of 2015?

Ivan Rogov
30th Jan 2013, 23:33
The editors notes at the bottom of this article make an interesting point of view, he might have a point :bored:

Trident: No Need For Like-For-Like Replacement, Says Danny Alexander (excerpt) (http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/141955/uk-slides-towards-unilateral-disarmament.html)

Roadster280
31st Jan 2013, 00:18
If one was looking for a view on governmental fiscal policy, I doubt whether Tpr Atkins, T, would have a view that carried much gravitas.

I therefore don't see that some bloke called "Danny" at the Treasury has a view on nuclear defence that matters either.

seanbean
31st Jan 2013, 00:48
...and another squadron of low-flying pigs passes overhead...

AR1
31st Jan 2013, 04:11
The squadron of Pigs have been axed due to the increased cost of feed.

FantomZorbin
31st Jan 2013, 07:18
mmmm ... there's always a twist in the tale!

.. hat, coat, etc.. :E

Jacks Down
31st Jan 2013, 07:50
S of S has just been on the Today programme explaining how he only expects the equipment programme to increase by 1% in real terms post 2015. Nothing about the rest.

Phoney Tony
31st Jan 2013, 09:37
Only AT will be deployed to support operations in Mali.
Only AT and ISR will be deployed to support operations in Mali.
Only AT, ISR and some ground forces in a training role will be deployed to support operations in Mali.

The troops will be out by Christmas.

etc.

teeteringhead
31st Jan 2013, 10:00
S of S has just been on the Today programme explaining how he only expects the equipment programme to increase by 1% in real terms post 2015. a little disingenuous when "defence inflation" runs ahead of RPI/CPI by quite a bit. DASA's own figures state that from FY 05/06 to FY 11/12 Defence inflation averaged 3.7%

DASA'a own definition is: The defence inflation statistic measures the average change in pay, and prices of goods and services, making up the defence budget, with quality and quantity held constant.

So Mr S of S, does your 1% in "real terms" take account of Defence Inflation or not??

The Old Fat One
31st Jan 2013, 11:00
With a hundred WSOps in the hold surely they are fat for expensive, possibly
under-utilised manpower? Too many MACR and FSs! Little or no promotion for Sgts, just one more tranche and the whole world would open up for the youngsters, who are missing their opportunities.

SW error egdg (verbosity), see my pink below.

With a hundred WSOps in the hold, surely they are fat.

:E

Bastardeux
31st Jan 2013, 11:56
An article in the times has basically rubbished the whole story and even stated that ministers are "quite keen to deploy to Mali"...here's an idea for the ministers, how about they f@&k off with this ludicrous notion that the military are capable of doing anything they want while also telling us all that they no longer want to fund us. And the shadow defence minister quoted can shut his stupid, fat tw@t mouth too, if labour had been just a smidging more generous in the brown years, things might not be such a clustersf!&k now!!! I'm sick of hearing about further cuts, it's all I've known my entire career, and I'm sick of politicians acting like everything is fine and dandy...but most of all, I'm sick of the politicians thinking we have anything left to cut! FFS, the fact that the navy's budget for food per man, while it's sailors are on ops is lower than the budget allocated to prisoners for food exemplifies a political class that simply doesn't give 2 sh!ts and it's an absolute disgrace!!!

Rant over.

Lightning Mate
31st Jan 2013, 13:59
Good rant. :ok:

Jumping_Jack
31st Jan 2013, 14:03
:D:D:D:D:D

Onceapilot
31st Jan 2013, 14:05
Well said Mr B!

OAP

Heathrow Harry
31st Jan 2013, 17:04
if you look at the MoD equipment buy thread you cans ee its tough to 2015 then they have a various increases in expenditure - but that of course is after the next election - Labour may have very different ideas