PDA

View Full Version : Apple System X Printing Problem

Bally Heck
19th Apr 2002, 10:18
I have just taken delivery of a new Imac G4 with an HP920c deskjet printer. It has the ability to run System X and System 9.2 simultaneously. This allows older applications to run on the machine.

My problem is that when I try to select a printer in the System X print centre, I get the message "the application Print Centre has unexpectedly quit."

I can use the printer under System 9.2 without any problems.

Any ideas anyone?

Bally Heck
23rd Apr 2002, 02:33
Soo. Yer either all jealous. Or none of ya suns uv bitches is man enough to answer ma queery!

Techman
23rd Apr 2002, 02:46
What's Apple?.:p

Mad Monk
23rd Apr 2002, 18:41
This is not guaranteed, but give it a go. If it fails there are numerous OS X help sites on the Web, including Apple themselves.

Good Luck.

A. Delete the folder /Library/Printers
1. Log in as an Admin user (see Note 1 below).
2. Click the Finder icon in the Dock.
3. Choose Computer from the Go menu.
4. In the Finder window, open the Mac OS X disk.
5. Open the Library folder that is at the top level (root) of the Mac OS X disk.
6. Locate the Printers folder, and drag it to the Trash (see Note 2 below).

Or
B. Reinstall printer drivers.
1. Download and install the latest printer driver from your printer manufacturer's Web site.
2. If you cannot do this, follow the steps for an Apple printer as below. This will reinstall the third-party drivers included with Mac OS X.

1. Insert the Mac OS X 10.1 Install CD. The Welcome to Mac OS X window appears.
2. Open the Optional Installs folder.
3. Double-click the Additional Printer Drivers package.
4. Click the lock button in the lower left of the Installer window.
5. Enter an Admin user name and password.
6. Complete the installation (see Note 3 below).

Notes
1. The first user created on the computer is an Admin user, and others may be designated in the Users pane of System Preferences.
2. If an alert box appears that says you do not have access or privileges to move this folder, either you have not logged in as an Admin user or the permissions on that folder have been changed. In this case, start up from Mac OS 9 to delete the folder.

Bally Heck
24th Apr 2002, 11:18
Thanks Mad Monk

I couldn't delete the printer folder but inspired by your reply I checked the Apple tech support website. This suggested deleting the Canon folder in the printer library which I did. It now works, How bizzarre:)

24th Apr 2002, 16:21
I thought my G4 was cool 'till I saw the new iMac!

What's it like "in service"?? Please, let us mere mortals know.....

Bally Heck
25th Apr 2002, 01:34
Cannot tell a lie. It's a bit like Windows ME.

In a hundred years:)