29th Jan 2013, 14:49
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/fawn.jpg

DX Wombat
29th Jan 2013, 15:56
I like that. :ok:

Tableview
29th Jan 2013, 17:00
So what's it going to be :

Ciervo a la Catalana in the 'olla', or a bronze casting of the little chappie (or chapess?)

Ancient Observer
29th Jan 2013, 17:03
You'll need some quite heavy Red wine to go with that. I don't think the local white cava will do.

tony draper
29th Jan 2013, 17:09
With the price of scrap being what it is you would be able to weigh that in and buy a side of beef.
:rolleyes:

OFSO
29th Jan 2013, 18:06
Yes, it's a bronze cast. Not much work at t'foundry these days, what with the recession, so the fawn was left in the middle of the shop floor. Very pretty.

toffeez
29th Jan 2013, 19:07
I think this local red would suit you very well, eh OFSO?

Sangre de Toro | Wines | Wines and Brandies | Torres (http://www.torres.es/wps/portal/web/inicio/vinosBrandies/vinos/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gTlyBfJydDRwN_HydzA08T1zDXMDNP AwtPU_2CbEdFAKRcZgk!/?WCM_PORTLET=PC_7_4DRMBB1A000R60IK48BLFT10Q7010457_WCM&WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/en/torres/secciones/vinosbrandies/vinos/sangredetoro)

Another PUSSY Product. Ooops, a CAT product.

Sunnyjohn
29th Jan 2013, 20:02
Dawn in the Artists' Foundry, Girona

Yum! Where's me knife . . . 'Put the pot on Mrs SJ!'

G-CPTN
29th Jan 2013, 20:07
Tell us how they produce casts like that?

I presume the artist needs to make a master, from which a mould is produced.

Do they use sand?

How thick is the finished item? (and how do they regulate it?)

500N
29th Jan 2013, 20:10
Very nicely done

"Not much work at t'foundry these days, what with the recession, so the fawn was left in the middle of the shop floor."

I am surprised they haven't tried making more and selling these
to the Germans, US et al.

Anyway, I like my venison right next to my veggies !

Matari
29th Jan 2013, 21:27
Looks like a mould of a lion propped up against the back wall there. Head's up little fawn...something's stalking you...

OFSO
30th Jan 2013, 10:01
Ok, pay attention. As a sculptor you would normally work in a material such as terra-cotta or wax. When your terra-cotta sculpture is finished you drive very carefully and slowly with the (wet) sculpture - note that Diana's leg was cracked in transit yesterday, but no problems there - and take it to the foundry (see picture below - the foundry owner and foreman is the one with the beard) and tell the foundry owner/foreman how you want it to look. He then makes a silicone mould from your original. Your original sculpture is usually damaged beyond recognition getting it out of the mould, but don't worry.....take it home and use the bits for something else.

Hot wax is poured into the mould making a copy of the original.

The sculptor then goes to the foundry again and checks the wax. In fact at this point you have a good chance of spotting and correcting any errors you might have made with the original, 'you' because my experience is that our foundry doesn't make errors themselves.

If you've sculpted in wax, you enter the story at this point.

The wax sculpture is then cast into bronze - usually it is necessary to cast it in pieces so it's chopped up, very worrying to see. The pieces are put into a sand box, sand compressed around it, and metal poured in - as it goes in, the wax runs out of the bottom, hence the title "the lost wax process". Once cast, the pieces are welded back together, the clag knocked off, and its polished.

You then pay for it, take it to a gallery, they put it on show and nobody buys it because it's so damn expensive. However the casting costs are more than justified when you see the many skills good artistic foundry men have - often they themselves have considerable sculpting ability.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/IMG_20130129_101117.jpg

toffeez
30th Jan 2013, 10:11
Good to see that old skills are still with us ...

nice knockers on the right, too ...

beaufort1
30th Jan 2013, 11:37
Reminds me of many years ago my late father casting solid gold and silver jewellery for my mother, he used plastic Airfix models, then took a cast in wax. Back in the early 70's you could get all sorts of things by Airfix. I'll have to ask my mother if she still has a carriage and four horses he cast. Wonderful piece, beautifully polished and it all clipped together. Lovely detail on the horses right down to the hair on their manes flying in the wind. The whole piece was probably no longer than two or three inches. He was a proper sheddite, even owned his own manual wind up centrifuge of great antiquity. :8

OFSO
30th Jan 2013, 15:54
nice knockers on the right, too ...

And on the full-size sculpture of a lady removing the last vestage of her clothing, which is presently unfinished in the studio......

Can be photographed if there is any interest !

G&T ice n slice
30th Jan 2013, 16:58
How does the casting sand stay in place?

I remember seeing something on the televisual machine many moons past where they seemed to pour sand into a box & then compressed it with a hydraulic ram affair. Then they poured the metal in and "here's one I prepared earlier" just poured the sand out & hey presto finished thingamujig.

I suspect it was at "oh gosh I'm too tired to go to bed so I'll watch the OU instead"

handysnaks
30th Jan 2013, 17:48
Surely it's Fawn in the Artists' Foundry, Girona?:p

toffeez
31st Jan 2013, 07:06
You mean she's waiting 'cos you haven't finished with her yet?

Doesn't sound like a real lady to me. Anyway, let's see her jugs.

AlpineSkier
31st Jan 2013, 07:59
How does the casting sand stay in place?

Like hamburger meat, it is mixed with a small percentage of fixative.