PDA

View Full Version : Let's get all over and done with, as rapidly as possible...

airship
29th Jan 2013, 13:38
It strikes me that human-beings ca. 2013 could care less about all their fellow travellers as the planet hurtles farther into the void of space. Pygmy elephants (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21241380) being the latest example:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/65564000/jpg/_65564281_65563768.jpg

So let's just let "them all" get on with it, without limit. Say over 4-6 weeks.

That should be long enough for all the licensed hunters and farmers in North America and western Europe to exterminate all the last remaining examples of bears, wolves, wildcats, and any other species requiring merely control or eradicating whilst preserving farmed animals.

Allow many African countries like Kenya (population 8 million at independence, today 5 times that many) to eradicate their own wildlife population at a stroke in similar fashion.

In the far-east, allow the deforestation and logging operations to take their natural courses, shoot the orangutans before they suffer, grow ever more oil palms on the newly available land devoid of animals.

Let me know (wake me up) when it's safe once again to pee or shite into the oceans, without endangering the lives of turtles, dolphins and whales etc.

I have to say that I've absolutely no time left for sad pictures of orphaned baby elephants etc. anymore. Unless someone supplies me with an Apache or Cobra helicopter with those revolving cannons. Then, we could begin...?! Otherwise, say goodbye to all the animals whilst you can, take lots of photos "of when wild animals once roamed the planet"... :sad:

flynverted
29th Jan 2013, 13:47
helicopter with those revolving cannons

Here ya go
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/oakey023.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/oakey020.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/oakey025.jpg

airship
29th Jan 2013, 14:00
+ logistics + in-flight refuelling + satellite intelligence + co-ordinates of the principal human-being criminals involved...

All of which obviously won't be forth-coming. So just say all your good-byes. Wake up to a brave new World in 2 months' time or thereabouts. Where the world's farmers can allow their animals to wander about without worrying that they'll be attacked by viscious wolves, lions etc. And the averge north American deer-hunter will have to make do with lemmings in futue...

DX Wombat
29th Jan 2013, 14:02
Let's get all over and done with, as rapidly as possibleWhy? That appears to me to be a very silly suggestion Airship.

Brian Abraham
29th Jan 2013, 14:20
If you were a species of life on this verdant and blue ball, other than human, you would be saying we have a plague on our hands - of humans. Problem is, I don't see any of us willingly giving up our spot. Trouble with our species, unlike the rest of nature, is we don't have any predators. In nature, should there be an excess of prey, the predators soon breed up to take advantage, and things return to a status quo.

Tankertrashnav
29th Jan 2013, 14:39
Trouble with our species, unlike the rest of nature, is we don't have any predators.

Oh I don't know, we seem to have made a pretty good job of killing each off over the years, and I dont see that situation changing any time soon.

Meanwhile the insects keep their own counsel and wait.

Airship - what are you on, by the way :confused:

airship
29th Jan 2013, 15:15
Why? That appears to me to be a very silly suggestion Airship.

Why prolong all the agony? Those whom are responsible "are here with us now". Therefore, it should be "our responsibilty", (not for future generations - children / grand-children) etc. to resolve. Whilst our fellow-travellers are still with us and can still be saved without resorting to "Jurassic Park" DNA cooking / movie tactics etc.

And if we are not willing to / able to, then let the end come quickly. So that mankind finally finds itself in some form of Armageddon devoid of free, wild creatures, inspired and abetted by human-beings who did nothing at all when they could have. Perhaps simply deciding to buy the latest big-screen LED TV or whatever instead.

I can almost imagine younger citizens wailing before their NHS bills for elderly care or whatever ca. 2030. But grandma / grandpa, where are all the animals that have disappeared...?! You didn't lift a finger, well, I can't be bothered to sign either. So sue me. :ok:

Davaar
29th Jan 2013, 16:12
unlike the rest of nature, is we don't have any predators

Well now!

The Bubonic and Pneumonic plagues killed off a third to a half of the then population of Europe (I believe some parts of England have never yet recovered their 14th century population losses) and Asia, and wiped out the feudal system; venereal diseases were widespread in Europe for centuries, and hence the 18th century white wigs worn by so many upper-middle class men, now preserved only by judges and barristers; in 1919 Spanish Influenza killed off around 11,000,000, a million or so more than World War l in all the previous four years); there was polio; then AIDS; we had whooping cough; there was cholera (mind you, not in Hamburg which has installed drains, but for sure in Altona next door which had nt installed drains; and at to my former home in Dundee the ancient Howff Cemetery is still packed with the remnants of cholera victims, including some unlucky ones buried before they had died ... Oooops! Still, maybe that made little difference to them in the long run?); and .... but need I continue?

I'm sure that out in a lonely desert somewhere olf friends like the plague bacillus are waiting for us still, among the rabbits and other rodents, and some new scourges are watching for their chances.

Not to impose on a fellow-PPRuNer, I'm sure Mac the Knife can tell you a whole lot more of these perils than I can, but I rest happy that clever chaps and ladies spend long working lives in laboratories and hospitals, often at personal risk to life, to guard us lot from whatever these predators plan for us. I do believe they even do it for animals.

RAC/OPS
29th Jan 2013, 19:20
the ancient Howff Cemetery is still packed with the remnants of cholera victims

When will they get out?

tony draper
29th Jan 2013, 19:37
So many of us swarming over this mudbal now tiz doubtful even if a full blown Captain Trips outbreak would kill enough of us off to reset the clock to zero,we would be back to the insane population level we are now in a few hundred years,and warfare doesn't kill enough of us off quick enough to even slow us down.
:uhoh:
World Population 1804, 1 billion
Population 1927 2 billion----- 123 years
Population 1960 3 billion-------33 years
Population 1974 4 billion-------14 years
population 1987 5 billion-------13 years
Population 1999 6 billion-------12 years

Sunnyjohn
29th Jan 2013, 19:57
we don't have any predators

True, but we have AIDS, MRSA, an inability to find antibiotics for mutating viruses . . . I notice someone said 'mankind' so presumably we can't blame women for the mess that humankind is in.

PTT
29th Jan 2013, 20:11
an inability to find antibiotics for mutating virusesUnsurprising, given that antibiotics don't work on any viruses, mutated or otherwise :ok:

Sunnyjohn
29th Jan 2013, 20:35
Well done that lad at the back - just making sure you're awake . . .

Dushan
29th Jan 2013, 21:48
How about them apples?

BBC News - Cats killing billions of animals in the US (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21236690)

Cats are one of the top threats to US wildlife, killing billions of animals each year, a study suggests.

The authors estimate they are responsible for the deaths of between 1.4 and 3.7 billion birds and 6.9-20.7 billion mammals annually.

Where did I put that Mini-14?

Brian Abraham
29th Jan 2013, 22:20
Cats a great problem in Oz as well. One very small outback town had what they called "the cat tree". The only tree to be seen in the desert location. The locals hung their kills in said tree, but overnight the place became a mega tourist attraction because of a flooded lake. You can imagine the outcry from the huggy fluffs seeing the "cat tree". Up in arms killing such wonderful cute little critters. Cats removed, and never mind the destruction they cause to the marsupials and bird life.

arcniz
31st Jan 2013, 08:00
Life on this marble is a balance - not easily disrupted, but surely very disrupt-able.

Many very different scenarios, some improbable and some uncomfortably plausible, could take humanity and many other species down to a tiny nub, or even to complete extinction, over the short span of months or years.

It is a mistake to equate large populations with invulnerability. Can work quite the other way round.

radeng
31st Jan 2013, 12:43
While we have people banging out children with little or no regard for the consequences, the situation will deteriorate. Some religions do not help in this respect, either, being against birth control. That is actually anti-social and selfish in the extreme.

airship
31st Jan 2013, 18:29
While we have people banging out children with little or no regard for the consequences, the situation will deteriorate. Some religions do not help in this respect, either, being against birth control. That is actually anti-social and selfish in the extreme.

I quite agree. As a 52 year old single male without dependents and resident in France, I get the impression of being an involuntary "uncle" to many children whose parents truly do reproduce without any apparent limits, knowing that all the state-handouts, creches, or payments for their ever-larger apartment requirements will all eventually be bestowed via social security in due course.

When airship eventually reaches 78 years old (if still in employment or employable) and when he can expect a full French pension, these same "people banging out children" will still be in the priority. airship will eventually find himself homeless, never obtaining a government-provided apartment at reasonable rent to replace his current privately-owned apartment where he's resided for 20 years. Their parents will quietly respond to the questions of my anonymous "nephews / nieces" who when ask "Papa, c'est qui cet homme qui fait la manche - il froid et son chat, il froid aussi?!"... :sad::mad:

That's why I suggested that it's high time humanity decided issues one way or another. I'd gladly sacrifice my own existence in exchange for say, a handful of Siberian tigers, African cheetahs, a few elephants wherever they are to be found. Governments have little to say. NGOs and others merely look at how much funds they have left (salaries and pensions) etc.

If I'm going "to go", I'd want a serious opportunity and assets. Which was why the Apache, Cobra, satellite resources etc. Otherwise, what's the point of fighting what 100% of our governments and maybe 98% of human-beings want...?!

Make it all happen unexpectedly. As painless as possible. One minute we're alive, the next we're dead. Almost like an unidentified 50m asteroid hit nearby... :zzz:

PS. Any news concerning the little elephant (orphan)...?

hval
31st Jan 2013, 18:45
Dushan,

Where did I put that Mini-14?

You don't intend to arm lil ol' puddykins do you? Think of the mayhem.

arcniz
1st Feb 2013, 12:50
Hairslip writes:
I'd gladly sacrifice my own existence in exchange for say, a handful of Siberian tigers, African cheetahs, a few elephants wherever they are to be found.

Perhaps someone is taking this a bit too personally? Extinction is as natural as air and pommes frittes. Each gets its turn, unless adopted pro tem by a meme or some obscure environmental niche.

If you are still serious after the fog clears, perhaps E-Bay is the place to proffer your pledge. Some crew of idiots in a bar might be happy to take you up on it... just to pass the time.

Davaar
1st Feb 2013, 13:06
When will they get out?

Don't know. There was evidence from one research "dig" that some of the cholera tenants had been jes' joshing, in a deep sleep or so, when they were popped in. When they woke they felt cramped, so it seemed, in the new premises, and had scratched a protest on inner surfaces of the lids.

After a while they lost interest. I do not like to think about it too much; or at all.

airship
1st Feb 2013, 15:25
arcniz wrote: Hairslip writes... Enough said.

BTW, I go by the name of airship hereabouts: "rubbish my arguments", defend your own, by all reasonable means.

PS. Hope you got a few laughs out of "Hairslip"... nevertheless.:ok:

vulcanised
1st Feb 2013, 16:56
I got the impression from the OP that you were quite rightly bewailing the unnecessary loss of various animal species.

How odd, coming from someone who actively promotes the keeping of domestic cats, responsible for millions of unnecessary animal deaths each year.

bnt
1st Feb 2013, 18:53
I'm currently re-reading a book I read many years ago: Mother of Storms by John Barnes. In one scene, a future UN Fleet is evacuating people from a ravaged Pacific island that is about to be flattened by a hurricane. The island is populated by savages, ruled by stupid men with guns who treat their women like slaves.

The Australian fleet commander gives an order to evacuate the women and children but leave the men - which involves shooting through women who were being used as human shields. The water tanks are blown up, and the men are left to die. He's fully expecting to be court-martialled for his "war crime", but his commanders, after watching the footage, just say "well done" and send the Admiral back to work ...

airship
2nd Feb 2013, 12:24
How odd, coming from someone who actively promotes the keeping of domestic cats, responsible for millions of unnecessary animal deaths each year.

I don't believe that I actually "promote actively" the keeping of cats etc. But I do understand what you're saying. In a sense, it's one of those dilemmas from which noone can be totally excluded in general life.

You apparently take as "gospel", the reports of highly-paid "professional" researchers. Who by use of simple extrapolations, come up with staggering numbers of deaths of birds and other small mammals "at the paws" of cats, domesticated or otherwise.

From my own 20 years past experience sharing my abode with 5 different cats, I do not recall ever being "presented" with any bird or small mammal during all that time. A few lizards (look like gheckoes?) perhaps, mostly released well alive if minus their tails. My own cats get fed with whatever they like to eat, whether this is standard basic croquettes or "wet" cat-foods. Supplemented with raw chicken or lamb. Or even (rare) roasted lamb, cured ham or chicken slices. Quitaime even "befriended" a baby collared dove who lived with us for 3 weeks in the bedroom, until it was strong enough to fly away when released one fine summer day.

So far as wild cats go, I reckon they merely hunt to eat (and therefore exist). And I cannot hold their primeval instincts to merely survive (mostly shared with all other creatures), against them...