PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Pilots from "Dengerous Flights" TV show on Discovery

Bearcat F8F
29th Jan 2013, 09:18
Hey guys, could someone shed some light on this profession of delivering GA/ business planes around the world? I never knew these sort of delivery organizations even existed. Is it mainly a US thing or we have them in Europe also? How does one find a pilot job in such a business? Watching the show, it's extremely entertaining!

Am I right in saying their FAA licenses only allow them to fly "N" reg aircraft around the world?

Just curious. Replies and PMs welcome and would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PURPLE PITOT
29th Jan 2013, 10:18
Happens all over the world. Oceanic ferry is NOT an entry level job for newbie cpl's. The licence must match the tail number (or at least a validation by that authority).

Bearcat F8F
29th Jan 2013, 13:20
Yes I certainly never presumed that it was a career for newbie CPLs! So how do people end up working in these companies and what is the pay like? I'm assuming they get payed per hour?

Nigd3
29th Jan 2013, 14:55
Dye your hair ginger, eat a bit more than you should, abide only by rules, licencing requirements and regulations that are convenient (ignore the rest), ignore fuel calcs and headwinds, survive at least one deadstick landing and you are pretty much ready to start your own ferry company.

:E

PS also have atrocious spelling

Wookey
29th Jan 2013, 15:24
Surprised that this is apparently the first mention of this programme on Pprune. Thought it might have been embargoed by the Mods!
I too find the programme 'entertaining' and although almost certainly over dramatised for TV, having followed the unmentionable ginger one thread with interest (alarm?), what one can plainly see from this programme is the enormous pressure that is exerted to get the aircraft to intended destination. Businesses have to make profits but one doesn't like to see safety take second place. Well done to the pilots who stood up to 'The Boss' !! :D

Evanelpus
29th Jan 2013, 15:57
Dye your hair ginger, eat a bit more than you should, abide only by rules, licencing requirements and regulations that are convenient (ignore the rest), ignore fuel calcs and headwinds, survive at least one deadstick landing and you are pretty much ready to start your own ferry company.

Don't forget to poke yourself in the eye as well!

Anyone know what's happened to the genge fellow?

Bearcat F8F
29th Jan 2013, 15:59
Dye your hair ginger, eat a bit more than you should, abide only by rules, licencing requirements and regulations that are convenient (ignore the rest), ignore fuel calcs and headwinds, survive at least one deadstick landing and you are pretty much ready to start your own ferry company

PS also have atrocious spelling
Perfect! Im fyling the neccessary paperwork as we speek!

Surprised that this is apparently the first mention of this programme on Pprune. Thought it might have been embargoed by the Mods!
I too find the programme 'entertaining' and although almost certainly over dramatised for TV, having followed the unmentionable ginger one thread with interest (alarm?), what one can plainly see from this programme is the enormous pressure that is exerted to get the aircraft to intended destination. Businesses have to make profits but one doesn't like to see safety take second place. Well done to the pilots who stood up to 'The Boss' !!
Whilst I can see it would be an extremely stressful job, it looks like a proper, proper adventure. Seems a hell of a lot more challenging and interesting than the average jet jockey. Not for everyone of course but it certainly sparked my interest.

I searched the web for aircraft ferry services but none of them state anything about pilot recruitment. How do these fellas get their jobs? Is it similar to corporate aviation in that one would end up there through networking?

And whats more interesting is how much, and what sort of experience do these companies require from pilots? Presumably thousands of hours flying smaller props?

ferrydude
29th Jan 2013, 20:51
Am I right in saying their FAA licenses only allow them to fly "N" reg aircraft around the world?

No, having FAA pilot certification does not limit one to ferrying only "N" reg aircraft. Validations are received frequently for operating aircraft on other national registries.

doublesix
29th Jan 2013, 22:08
Whilst I have the utmost respect for the pilots who stand up to the owner of the company, 'Cory' whatever, you would not get me anywhere near that joker who obviously would take risks flying from A to B in pursuit of a pay cheque. What professional would sit on the leading edge of a wing whilst a plane is taxying!! Hit a pothole or brake suddenly and off you go into the prop. W---er.:ugh::ugh::mad:

PURPLE PITOT
29th Jan 2013, 22:53
D6, agreed. I believe he comes from the same school as the ginger one who shall not be mentioned!

Nigd3
30th Jan 2013, 11:56
D6

Are the missing letters of the last word "eav" ??? ;)

Bearcat F8F
30th Jan 2013, 12:41
I've seen plenty of WW2 films with mechanics sitting on the wings and guiding the pilot during taxi. I can not see how a pot hole (on a paved taxiway?) would cause someone to fly 6 feet forward and to the side into a propeller. I am not promoting this behavior but I would like a better explanation that a pot hole.

Regardless, I will ask my questions again:

How do these fellas get their jobs? Is it similar to corporate aviation in that one would end up there through networking?

And whats more interesting is how much, and what sort of experience do these companies require from pilots? Presumably thousands of hours flying smaller props?

Dawdler
30th Jan 2013, 22:59
From what I have seen of the series, "Cory" hires pilots who are much more experienced than himself to carry out these deliveries on his behalf. (Haven't we heard this somewhere before?) Then he sometimes takes the right hand seat and puts pressure on them to take risks about which they are not happy. I suppose it takes a special kind of character to stand up to this pressure. After all, given that the job entails flying distances that a greater than those for which the aircraft are normally expected to achieve, you appear to be given the choices of endangering a) your job or b) your life.

PURPLE PITOT
30th Jan 2013, 23:44
That special kind of character is sometimes referred to as "a captain", regardless of the experience and grade of licence held.

Dawdler
31st Jan 2013, 21:23
PP, touche' :D

Scroll Lock
31st Jan 2013, 21:54
Yup,
been watching this program too.

Last episode, the wonder-pilot chap who was a military test pilot, air racer etc etc etc....with that weird looking douche bag in the dodgy coat bollocked up the simple arrival in to BIRK ( and also managed to miss set altimeter and were 1000' low. !!! ) Blamed fatigue....erm ,only flown up from the south coast of UK for crying out loud

Oh dear

...."oh say can you see......"

pipertommy
1st Feb 2013, 07:16
Still no answer to the original question ?
Is there a rule of thumb minimum for ferry pilot ?

Jay_solo
1st Feb 2013, 07:39
To the OP, I'm no expert on it, but have done research into it;

From what I have been told, there is no set rule for getting into this business. Besides the need for a CPL and IR! Obviously the more experience you have in a variety of aircraft the better, especially from an insurance point of view. I suspect most ferry companies would want you to have serious PIC time to join them, but that's not always the hard and fast rule. (Contact them and find out, if they like your face, you could get in!)

You can ferry anything from a Cessna 150 up to a 747 if you are experienced and appropriately rated in the aircraft. Ideally, you also need to be able to hold more than one license or be able to obtain a validation from some countries you may not hold a license for.

The key thing to consider before getting into ferry piloting is to make contacts. Like any form of small aviation business, its who you know that would lead you to a job. And once you are known to be professional, reliable, safe and a good person, you'll progress even further.

If you want to set up on your own as a freelance business, ontop of the basic business skills and preparation associated with any self employed business, you will still need some solid aviation contacts to supply you with aircraft to ferry (e.g aircraft sales brokers) or help you fly the aircraft on each ferry (other contract pilots).

Or if you are good at selling, you could try selling the aircraft you end up ferrying. Not simple or easy, but doable.

You also need to consider the risks associated with this type of flying, which is very challenging. You may sometimes fly over inhospitable places, or land in places with poor national security. The aircraft can be factory new or in second hand condition with suspect maintenance issues. You will be doing business with people you may not have met face to face, who could be pretty dodgy characters. You may get arrested or detained for simply not following local protocols or due to a communication error. Some places are well set up for aviation, while others are bare bone minimum when it comes to competence. You are the flight planner, inflight trouble shooter mechanic, pilot, impromptu diplomat and business man all at the same time!

As for the amount of experience, it all depends on what you want to ferry. The bigger the iron, the more experience you'll need to satisfy insurance requirements.

Also, its not normally a regular flying gig that pays a large amount. Some people ferry once every few days, some once a month, others once a year! It depends on how much you want to do it and which aircraft owners or sales brokers you know, that can give you a steady supply of work. The more you hustle, the more you fly.

Watching "Dangerous flights" is a good basic window into what you can expect.

Hope this helps. Like I said, I'm no expert, but did some research into it a while ago.

:ok:

Bearcat F8F
1st Feb 2013, 12:03
Thanks Jay :ok:

I would be very keen on giving it a shot one day. For now I need to concentrate on how the heck I'm gonna pay for the fATPL :rolleyes:

Hopefully as soon as I get into the industry I will start making contacts and we'll see where we go from there.

Thanks for the info though. it all sounds very interesting... like any kind of flying usually.

deefer dog
1st Feb 2013, 12:08
Is there a rule of thumb minimum for ferry pilot ?

Yes, the insurers will decide that - unless you are an overweight, ginger haired lying thief, in which case you simply invent your experience and qualifications.

BTW no news regarding Sky Ferry of late. Is he still at large?

ferrydude
1st Feb 2013, 12:25
Indeed. Almost all underwriters will require a pilot to have completed several crossing under tutelage prior to covering you as PIC.

bzwebner
3rd Feb 2013, 11:56
I'm a Ferry Pilot based in the USA (www.theferrypilot.com (http://www.theferrypilot.com)). I've been contacted by the producers of the show a few times, and even by some of their pilots.

They are desperate for flights to finish filming their third season.
The way it works is that they are looking for companies like mine to "donate" flights to their TV program. They told me that they will present it as my flight but that I "NEEDED" to hire the help of one of their mainstay pilots on the show in order to complete the job (coming to my aid!).:ugh:
Their pilot will fly the flight for me, and I will get a mention in the credits. (who says I can trust them? I saw an episode when they buzz a waterfall in a clients aircraft because it was "a cool shot"!)

I told them that I dont mind if they tag along during a flight but it would be ME at the controls. (I take my good reputation very seriously and wont compromise it for a TV spot) but when it came to compensation, they werent willing to offer anything!

I then asked them why they think sitting in a Cessna, droning along for hours on end is interesting. The producer told me, and I quote: "Dont worry, we will edit the drama in!"

Suuuurrreeee... make it look like I am flying unsafely, my clients and the FAA inspectors who will watch the show will LOOOOOVE that ! :bored:

On top of all that, in addition to the actual ferry, they want to do a full day of shooting "Air to Air" shots for fill in segments here and there AND interview the pilot at each fuel stop. That wastes time, time is money! Why would I waste my clients money with this crap?

If the show offered me some financial incentive that I can then pass along to my clients to make it worth their while and if they let me fly MY flights that I work hard to secure, then maybe I would participate. But just for the sake of having a TV spot... nope.

Speaking with the production company really opened my eyes to how "reality TV" works. Like all reality TV, take it with a grain of salt.

orion1210
4th Feb 2013, 20:59
Shocked at what was going on in the Phenom... Hoping it was a dramatisation!!

PURPLE PITOT
4th Feb 2013, 21:39
Its a single pilot aeroplane, the "company" monkey was there for tv purposes. As bzwebner pointed out, they will "edit in the drama". Tonight showed what looked like a badly handled situation, however, i refer to my last sentence.

Scroll Lock
5th Feb 2013, 02:53
This programme is now getting on my tits !!
The narrator makes out that flying is super dangerous and over dramatises every detail.

Each approach ends with 4 whites, pilots worried about night flying? Christ, the one in the bonanza said he used to fly airlines ?

As for the Phenom operation.....I would ground the 2 of them for utter incompetence. 1 on O2, 1 not.....a STALL ?? How ?
If i had to share an aircraft with any of them, they would only occupy a pax seat down the back.

Rant over

Evanelpus
5th Feb 2013, 08:16
If the show offered me some financial incentive that I can then pass along to my clients to make it worth their while and if they let me fly MY flights that I work hard to secure, then maybe I would participate. But just for the sake of having a TV spot... nope.

Speaking with the production company really opened my eyes to how "reality TV" works. Like all reality TV, take it with a grain of salt.

There are enough media whores out there that'll do anything to see themselves on the TV, serious pilots will avoid the producers approaches like the plague.

BadgerGrowler
5th Feb 2013, 16:34
I ask this question as only a lowly low hour PPL holder.

Is it really that simple to update the computers on the Phenom? Go to the Embraer website, plug in an SD card do a download, then plug it to the plane?

I know they use of clever edits to make it look dramatic, but its quite easy to get sucked into the dramatic action :ugh:

750XL
6th Feb 2013, 04:12
My personal fav is 'Randy' claiming a lightning bolt nearly 'downed' the airliner he was flying on as a pax :}

flyingfemme
6th Feb 2013, 06:44
@BG he was updating the database(s) on the G1000. It has to be done at regular intervals, depending on your setup. We have five databases, supplied by Garmin and Jeppesen on subscription, and they all update at different intervals. Jepp charts update every two weeks, just like the paper.
If any one of them is expired you get messages and big red crosses on the screens........the aircraft flies without this stuff but it's way more convenient with it.

Jumbo Jockey
10th Feb 2013, 11:26
bzwebner - excellent posting. Wasn't it Mark Twain who said "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story'?

Two more observations:

1. Has anybody else noticed how during the fill-in "flyby" shots, all the turboprops sound like pistons - "Airplane" style...

2. I've always felt it's better to be a bit late in this world than awfully early in the next, but it seems that view isn't shared by everybody...

Invicta DC4
10th Feb 2013, 20:53
According to his t*****r feed, Randy McGehee is a Delta 757/767 Captain

navygm
17th Feb 2013, 07:34
Reading from previous question below is a typical reply i got from companies doing ferry flying..

to ferry for us you need an ATP atleast 2000 hrs , multi engine with turbine time at least 500 hrs , the pilot we select are trained our way and have to follow company policys to the last word ,they all start at the bottom of the ladder ferrying pistons first, they will also fly on wing or lead for the first 5 trips ,, if you are now only starting you licience, do com, IF and instructors TO BUILD HRS,, enjoy ,,

Not that easy to get there!

bzwebner
27th Feb 2013, 16:15
Director Killed in Crash While Filming (http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/accidents/director-killed-crash-while-filming-dangerous-flights?cmpid=enews022713&spPodID=030&spMailingID=16568501&spUserID=NDc4NjIxOTM0OAS2&spJobID=212196127&spReportId=MjEyMTk2MTI3S0)

It was only a matter of time till something like this happened.

My thoughts are with the families of those who are gone.

DownIn3Green
27th Feb 2013, 22:24
OK Folks...With no disrespect, here's my take....I have ferried aircraft worldwide (granted, not SEL types) but everytime there were never, ever SAFETY issues....

I haven't ploughed through this thread because it is all B.S....(i.e.-Hollywood)

I can't imagine a "real" ferry company, let alone a real "ferry pilot" getting involved in something like this...

Without slamming the "pilots" involved, real ferry pilots are paid very well for their efforts, knowledge and abilities....

Plus there is a tremendous self-satisfaction factor for getting the job done...

As an afterthought, why is it that ALPA is resisting cameras in the cockpit?....

dc9-32
28th Feb 2013, 06:45
Question also, who arranges their permits, handling, fuel, flight planning etc or do they do it themselves on a wing and a prayer :confused:

They obviously have delays but they have so far failed to mention the "back stage" planning that goes on for these flights.

Dawdler
28th Feb 2013, 13:24
What do you guys think of the Co-pilot grabbing the controls in an aircraft of which he had little experience, from the Pilot who had much more experience of that machine?

The FO had more total hours, but little on that type. He clearly did not like flying as FO anyway and thought that his overall experience was more important.

I am amazed that the Pilot thanked him for being with him after the flight, I would have expected that he might even refuse to fly with him again.

Jonzarno
28th Feb 2013, 13:48
I have watched four episodes of this. In the last two, as a Cirrus driver myself, the Cirrus ferry that they did made my blood run cold.

1. Flying through "the eye of a storm" in a small SEP?

2. I also noticed that they were flying an SR22 at 15.6 GPH fuel flow. Right in the middle of the Red Fin. Wouldn't cause them to lose the engine on this flight, but the potential for engine damage that will only be found a couple of hundred hours later is significant.

3. Then the right seat co-pilot doing his best to unnerve the "captain" by coaching him through every landing.

4. Flying to Greenland with no alternate planned and not being sure that the fuel reserve is adequate or meets regulations.

OK: I accept that the makers have edited in a bit of drama but, even so, there are now two ferry companies that I will never use.

Pace
28th Feb 2013, 15:11
Jonzarno

Just for one minute imagine you were making a film about ferry flying?
Would you want the viewers to be bored silly by perfect uneventful flights or would you want the mostly non aviation viewers to sit gripping their seats as you do battle with the elements numerous life threatening emergencies etc.

Flying can be many hours of boredom with a few slightly exciting bits thrown in the pot.

Not enough for a best seller in the movie stakes so I would imagine a certain amount of color and creative imagination will take place.

Sadly creating life threatening scenarios is well ??? Life threatening and sadly two have been killed.

One of my Citation ferries 5 years ago would have made a good film from India to the UK problems in New Delhi, bribing custom officials, wreck of a citation, departing at night into a monsoon with so many flashing cloud the sky stayed illuminated.
Being escorted to the toilet by gun wealding soldiers in pakistan! Being told to land for fuel over Iran at Night in an N reg! Being stuck in Dubai unable to get a landing clearance in Saudi Arabia.
Landing in Saudi with 2000 meters in dust which changed in seconds on touchdown to 100 meters in a sandstorm.
Big row in Alexandria no computer or plates for Crete! Bribes again and three car escort to an internet Cafe by thugs to print off plates and more failures in that aircraft that made a sim look tame :E
Oh well should have taken the video camera along :ok:

I would classify myself as the occasional ferry pilot not A ferry pilot!

Pace

Jonzarno
28th Feb 2013, 15:37
Pace

That all sounds very bold. :8

As regards the programme:

Obviously, the Cirrus ferry on DF did have lots of drama edited in, but the one thing that clearly wasn't was the fuel flow. I only spotted it because I paused the programme to look at the MFD and know what I am looking for. No non-pilot would ever have noticed or understood.

silverknapper
28th Feb 2013, 16:09
The owner seems like a walking ego. And as mentioned the Kerry bloke is just plane dangerous.
Not sure why they allowed it to air as it is. All it does in my book is resolve never to use any of the pilots on the show. As for the Embraer 'incident' if that was in certain countries airspace the pilot would be expecting a call I'd imagine.

DownIn3Green
1st Mar 2013, 00:52
I reiterate...It's all B.S. in my opinion...

Someone mentioned earlier that a "Ferry" flight wouldn't be excited for viewers...

Very True...for a normal ferry where everything works as planned...

Every Ferry or VIP flight I have ever done...be it USA Domestic or International was backed by either Flight International or Air Routing...both based in Texas, and both excellent "value for money"....Expensive Yes, but everything ran llike clockwork, as advertised...

Without a professional outfit to handle overflights, handling, hotac, and all of the numerous other issues that crop their ugly heads at the worst time...well, you should not even attempt a "ferry"...

For those of us who have "REALLY" been there and done that...this show is a discrace to Professional Pilots everywhere...

But then again the MS Sim guys among us are facinated by this misrepresentation of our craft...

Bearcat F8F
1st Mar 2013, 07:32
DownIn3Green, with all do respect, it can't "ALL" be BS! I appreciate that drama is edited in but it can't be everything!

Are you suggesting that when in the 1st episode that C206 had fuel leeking out of the wing mid-flight it was actually a remote-controlled hose letting out water that caused an imaginary diversion? :E

Sir Niall Dementia
1st Mar 2013, 14:40
I did a year of ferrying and loved it. I arrived with ATPL and a few thousand hours, but no ferrying experience and no other job available. My boss made sure I was VERY conversant with that company's SOPs (European company, doing mostly Trans-Atlantic trips) and I flew mostly west-east using my US license (mainly US reg aircraft).

It was challenging, I flew to airfields I had previously only read about, I met some great people (One of the re-fuellers at St Johns and his randy husky come particularly to mind)

As a job it does not provide a secure income, and I met people who had to fly THAT DAY to ensure getting paid, it can be very lonely and can screw up your personal life (I know we're at the Bloggs's tonight darling, but I'm stuck in Reykjavic waiting for the the weather to clear), but on a clear night, getting relays from the airliners above me, watching the Aurora and looking forward to sunrise I wouldn't have swapped that seat for my previous job at all.

I always treated the aeroplane as if I owned it, so that at the end of the flight I hope I had cherished as much as its' new owner would. I sometimes see aeroplanes I ferried and my mind goes straight to that trip and the pleasure and achievement that flying a small aircraft all that way brought.

When I retire from my present job I'd like to do it again for a couple of years, if I can find anybody to take me on.

SND

DownIn3Green
1st Mar 2013, 23:29
Bearcat....fair enough on your comments, but as SND says, it's a wonderful job where you will learn a lot, and experience many things that most people don't have a chance of doing once in a lifetime...

I still feel that the show is hyped, and the way it is being produced may entice many "unqualified" pilots to attempt something beyond their ability...

If you was glamour and fame after successfully completing a ferry flight, then take photos, call friends from far off continent, but when everything goes"bump" in the night...you don't need a TV crew interrupting your tired a$$ thought process halfway across the ocean...

BTW...I loved my ferry work, and would do it again in a heartbeat if someone would ask me...

DownIn3Green
3rd Mar 2013, 22:18
Sort of a "Sister" thread here...

I watched a show I've never seen the other night....

"Airplane Repo"...This seems more realistic...but not by much...

Any thoughts?

Bearcat F8F
4th Mar 2013, 12:45
Sort of a "Sister" thread here...

I watched a show I've never seen the other night....

"Airplane Repo"...This seems more realistic...but not by much...

Any thoughts?
Realistic enough I reckon. I spoke to a super super super-nice guy yesterday who is an ex-airline pilot who worked for a plane repo company. He had to march onto a 757 with AK-47s somewhere in Africa to repossess it. And without weapons he had to take another 757s from Charles De Gaulle when the crew was preparing to take off.

hawker750
4th Mar 2013, 16:18
Addictive
Ferrying single engine and old weird types is like a drug, you get hooked. Have done many many in my time from C172 to a Mosquito across the atlantic. Every time I landed in Shannon after a 13,14, (record 19) hour crossing from Gander or St Johns I would have a pint or 6 guinesses in the Shannon Shamrock Hotel and promise myself and swear to God that I would never never never do another crossing............When that phone goes a few weeks later I have to appologise to God, pack my bag and go and find the next adventure. I did my last one recently after many years of pushing the throttles on a pair of turbines,: it was a DA20 from Florida to White Waltham. The buzz was still there and would I do yet another? I will have wait till that phone goes again.

PS
I found the 25 gal fuel tank in the co-pilots seat very handy for stubbing my ciggies out on. There was also a 90 gal tank 3 inches behind my head.

Bearcat F8F
5th Mar 2013, 23:10
hawker, so you fly alone? No co-pilot?

PURPLE PITOT
5th Mar 2013, 23:42
Most do. No point in paying 2 people to do the job of one. Or loosing 2 in the pond.

rigpiggy
6th Mar 2013, 00:05
Talk to the fuellers in YYR, they lose 1 or 2 a year. Bon Chance mon ami

hawker750
6th Mar 2013, 11:43
BEARCAT
I think a co-pilot would have objected to cigarettes being stubbed out on him although I did give up that habit about 10 years ago. Any way 25 gallons of gas is a better co-pilot.
Another point about ferrying the pond in the 70's. No GPS and no long range NAV aids. In the early 70's there were some weather ships in Atlantic with an NDB but they never really knew where the were because they relied on astro and it could be weeks between star fixes. When the weather ships were abandoned it was pure DR for 14 hours without an autopilot. With careful planning I was never more than 30 nm off course when the shannon VOR came in. I wonder how many of the dangerous flight pilots would fly without their GPS's. Also a twin engined flight was never classed as a "ferry" it was just a flight.
Yes s/e across water does carry an element of risk but analysis of the accidents reveals that most are not caused by engine failure but pilot stupidity. (running out of fuel (or oil), getting iced up, micky mouse ferry fuel tanks etc) The one thing one has to have is time and being able to wait a couple of days for the right conditions is essential for a safe(r) operation.
Unless the attlantic freezes over or single engined aircraft are banned the lure of the waves and a single lycoming will always be there.

Argentomagus
6th Mar 2013, 12:09
Just a couple of days ago a french registered Skyvan flying from Europe to the USA suffered three flame out between Greenland and Canada probably due to an exotic and non approved fuel ferry tank installation and misuse of it...

What is fascinating is that the pilot feels that no incident reporting is needed even if regulations warrants that such reports are compulsory when flying a turbine powered aircraft....

It is however possible to do ferry flights with properly approved fuel installations and properly trained pilots. They are not more expensive just safer ...

Good Business Sense
6th Mar 2013, 13:44
Know what you mean Hawker750 - all that drama on the TV when you're equipped with GPS, turbine engines, Satellite phones, beautifully plumbed in extra tanks, digital fuel read out, weather radar..... Ahhh, "it's getting dark" etc

Certainly beats the old days - pencil, map, ruler, protractor, pistons, no comms, no radar, 45 gallon drums - take the tube out of one into the next one after a while - checking fuel levels with a bit of stick, running tanks dry to get every last pint out of them, weather reports three days old !

Aye, them were days !!

Dawdler
6th Mar 2013, 14:35
Talk to the fuellers in YYR, they lose 1 or 2 a year. Bon Chance mon amiI think the guys at Wick said much the same thing in last week's episode.

hawker750
7th Mar 2013, 12:14
Them were the days!

I remenber pitching up in Rangoon in an Islander enroute to Taiwan and not being allowed out of the airport because I had no visa. I was dog tired so the Customs boss allowed me to sleep on his table whilst he relegated himself to the floor. Nice chap he shared his breakfast curry with me.
Every ferry pilot has similar stories. Read the original: "Fate is the Hunter" by Earnest K Gann

Good Business Sense
7th Mar 2013, 12:21
Hawker750 - I think we're on the same page ..... I've got a mint condition First Edition, First Print of the Bible.... Fate is the Hunter. I'm not going to admit to how much I paid for it !!

Dawdler
7th Mar 2013, 20:47
Call me a philistine if you like. It is a good book, full of fascinating stuff, but I found it difficult to enjoy because of the flowery language used by the author.

Good Business Sense
7th Mar 2013, 21:22
philistine !! :D

hawker750
8th Mar 2013, 08:54
Fate is the Hunter
I want a first edition. I re-read every couple of years just to remind me. Perhaps I will treat my self in a couple of months time when I look down at my old flight bag and decide enough is enough. Hunter readers will know what I am on about.

fade to grey
12th Mar 2013, 22:03
It's a bit of a joke really... even in the titles doesn't it say , " cowboy pilots flying little planes ..." or some such.
That Pete stragawhatnot seems ok ( L39 guy), but that irritating tosser who clearly didn't like being RHS on the cirrus , would have got the fire axe in his napper fairly fast. What a c@ck.

NW_Pilot
2nd Jul 2013, 02:17
(Removed) Due to request.

lowlifebrat
3rd Jul 2013, 20:08
Unless you are a very experienced Pilot flying International can be dangerous especially if you have not done any international flying at all
most think it is good but beware of many fall backs we all love flying but these flights can be the last many Pilots have done this and not come home

JezYBBN
24th Jul 2013, 00:18
Just HATE how they dub piston engine noises over Turbine footage and vice versa......

FerrypilotDK
24th Jul 2013, 09:01
Having 196 of these deliveries, and I have not even seen Discovery. I was contacted by the producer before they started filming. She wanted to have "a film crew" accompany a flight......I explained that they could could film before, at each stop, as long as they had another, larger aircraft paralleling the smaller (exciting) ones being delivered. She was amazed, surprised and I left the conversation thinking "whoever gave her the idea, she knows nothing about it." so I am not surprised to hear that she dubs turbine soundtrack over pistons!:=

Teldorserious
30th Jul 2013, 00:59
I see about as much truth on tv as I see in these threads. It's entertainment. The more I learn about how video is shot, the more I am able to decipher 'set ups' and realize there is even more BS then I previous thought. We live in a world of liars.

Brian Abraham
2nd Aug 2013, 00:19
I see about as much truth on tv as I see in these threads.......We live in a world of liarsAin't that the truth. We have people who pretend to fly Citations single pilot for a boss, and Robinson helos, when in fact they have never sat behind the controls of any real aircraft. SSG and his many aliases come to mind. :=

Teldorserious
2nd Aug 2013, 00:27
Brian - I give you a pass, because if my ancestry was filled with chained up felons sent off to the desert, I'd be mad too.