PDA

View Full Version : Walt watch

RedhillPhil
28th Jan 2013, 21:47
I've just been on another - nothing to do with aviation or military - chat forum and there's a guy who's asking, "is there any way a person's military history can be checked". He's got himself what sounds like a Marine Walt who claims that was a sniper in two recent conflicts but is a little vague about what exactly he did but was so important a sniper that he had bought and was issued with a special rifle just for him. There are other colourful claims about stuff.
I can understand someone being a little vague but having a non standard special rifle bought for him is sounding suspicious to me.
Is this possible, can anyone recommend a website where the mention of his name might bring forth some gen?

west lakes
28th Jan 2013, 21:52
I would try ARSSE or the navy equivalent (I think there is a link from ARSSE)

500N
28th Jan 2013, 21:53
Their is enough info on the internet to cross check everything he says
so, quietly get a few people to ask questions about what, where, how
unit et al, dates.

Then do a quick cross check to see if that unit was in country,
in that area et all.

And at the same time get in touch with other Marines or the
unit and ask them if the info is correct.

Shack37
28th Jan 2013, 22:05
Is it really worth getting worked up about? Sooner or later he'll give himself away with some obvious gaff.

mike-wsm
28th Jan 2013, 22:33
We had a guy like that, always going on about Anzio and how he was the ace sniper....with a Vickers machine gun......and how he was such an ace they couldn't promote him because his stripes would make him a target. He claimed he was briefed to shoot his officer rather than let him get captured. Lasted until he was 91. Real good innings.

Oh, yes, where to find out. Isn't it PRO at Kew? Takes an awful long time to get anywhere though, I spent all day getting a drawing of an autopilot and it turned out to be junk, just installation details. I think there are searchable databases like this one,:

Search military records | WW1, WW2, Boer War | Findmypast.co.uk (http://www.findmypast.co.uk/MilitaryXdbStartSearch.jsp?ukwid=439976&sourceID=1&utm_source=Google+FMP+Main_CPC&utm_medium=SEM_CPC&utm_campaign=Military+Records&bsop_brand=FMP.CO.UK&ns_mchannel=SEM_CPC&ns_source=Google+UK&ns_linkname=military+records&utm_term=military+records&ns_fee=0.25)

Dushan
29th Jan 2013, 02:05
There was someone like that here a while back, temporarily, spiking his importance.

Lon More
30th Jan 2013, 12:13
The Guv? well outed :} and IIRC Mr. Fairr had met one