PDA

View Full Version : Thread Censorship

Fliegenmong
28th Jan 2013, 20:19
Is it the new Banning??

I posted some factually correct, yet maybe politically incorrect stuff over the last 24 hours, and it has been deleted...why?:ugh:

11Fan
28th Jan 2013, 20:21
Trying to make the list?

Famous Last Words - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_Last_Words)

Fliegenmong
28th Jan 2013, 20:30
No, not at all, I've been banned, and didn't like it, but to have the factually correct deleted after having given due consideration before posting is well.......I was assaulted in my country by a person, sorry, a savage of another race, tis not the first time said savages have committed crimes........:ugh:

Mr Chips
28th Jan 2013, 20:35
when you say "politically incorrect2 do you mean "downright rascist"?

I'm asking - I didn't see the original post.

I'd suggest that using the word "savages" seems (to some) a little...colonial?

Sunnyjohn
28th Jan 2013, 20:36
Well, when you signed up to Pprune, you agreed to the rules, one of which is:

Final arbitration always rests with the moderator and administration team. This team also retains the right to remove any post, any thread and/or any member for any reason or no reason at all. Feel free to report any posts which breach or appear to breach Forum Rules.

Note: PPRuNe is a very busy website moderated by volunteers in their spare time. We may not see every post and do not have the time to explain why posts are deleted.

If you don't like it, leave.

500N
28th Jan 2013, 20:38
Flip

Mine was deleted as well so yes, it is censorship.

Often it is as much what is said as the heat in the whole thread itself !

However - take or leave this advice as you see fit !!!

As much as we might not like it, I have always found on forums that taking on the mods directly is no the best move and normally ends up in you, me or whoever being banned.

Go away, come back to another thread - in this case the OZ Politics one where we all agreed to go to - and continue it with a slightly toned down post or reword it slightly and I bet it will stay up there for all to see.

(That is unless it was personal abuse then it doesn't matter how you word it,
the mods will delete it).

Just what has worked for me in the past.

Now get onto the Oz thread with Owen because it has died a death and you and I had a good thing going :O

Tableview
28th Jan 2013, 20:41
I see no racist or colonialist overtones in the use of the word 'savage'. It describes the way some people behave.

Mr Chips
28th Jan 2013, 21:00
tableview i was only proposing that the words may have been deemed offensive

To describe an action/behaviour as "savage" is perfectly fine, but to call people "savages" has the same connotations as "fuzzy wuzzies" etc

In some peoples opinions

stuckgear
28th Jan 2013, 21:04
hmm.. my first thought was 'savages' referred to the shielas !

500N
28th Jan 2013, 21:10
stuck

Oh, it does in some places :O

mike-wsm
28th Jan 2013, 21:22
Fliegen - You have to remember the prime qualifation for modship is having waggled your joystick, there is no guarantee of any level of education. At least one cannot even spell his local town, and should you ever get banned the citation reads like pure fiction dotted with swear-words. Post removal and banning from thread are used by lesser mods because they can do it more easily without gaining a consensus. One hooligan banned me for a month, then another reduced it to one week, then it became two weeks and after that I lost interest. Just try posting in the higher levels, the most reasonable of posts are edited or deleted and you never know why. All totally irrational. I am banned from particular threads so I have to log out to read them, then log back in and send a pm. Ludicrous! But some of the guys are good and worth reading, so it's worth the effort.

Tankertrashnav
28th Jan 2013, 21:36
one hooligan banned me for a monthRisky, Mike! That just might get you another few weeks on the bench. ;)

Wholigan
28th Jan 2013, 22:12
OK I'll bite.

The comments that you complain about being censored were in a thread that was basically intended to be about a respectful tribute to "fallen comrades" by New Zealand infantrymen. The first bunch of responses were in line with this.

Then there appeared such posts as:

Shame it wasn't moving back NZ, just had a Maori whore slap the back of my car as she walked past my car down at the shops......she was too big to confront, and no doubt had just come from a car load dole bludging cuzzy bros, keen for some violence..:rolleyes:

Haka is for home soil, don't do it on our football fields.....savages!, here, take a blanket, in fact take a box full of blankets!

... and:

Well you know what Arm, every day I have to hold back and I get friggin tired of not offending this or that bunch.....and it may be also that I have or rather had friends who are or were murdered by king hits from Maori, Maori that are walking free in our streets drawing welfare from my taxes today......so yeah the F*#king islanders can assimilate the same way we demand the Iraqis / sri lankans etc - all other boaties .....no more silver fern stickers on the back of your cars GO HOME AND DO THAT!!!

In exactly the same way as there a hot spots in Lakemba and the like where there are welfare recipients demanding we not offend them, there are Islander enclaves around here demanding we respect their ways.........I see them no differently, both enjoy Aust. welfare, whilst denouncing us.....I know we're a stupid country, doesn't mean I need to praise our stupidity by remaining 'Politically correct'!! and saying nothing!:=

.... and:

Maybe they do.........yet whilst gaining a tertiary education in this country is beyond the affordability of many a bright young kid...it's all free to the Aust Aboriginal.....as is so much of what they receive.....

In any case, I'm heartily sick of working hard to provide for welfare for those that don't care to do anything for it in return.......and even more so, refuse to accept the olive branch that my tax funded programs extend to them......

I would actually prefer to fund Oz Abo programs, with a meaningful, and measurable level of success, rather than fund South Pacific Islanders, who are here to pretend they are part of a South LA Gang culture, when in fact they are here as a part of a South Brisbane Welfare excursion...

A mod (incidentally not me) considered that such posts were not in keeping with the intended spirit of this particular thread and so deleted them because they were - in the mod's opinion - "Disrespectful .. and off topic ". You know what? I agree with him. Such posts should be somewhere else.

mike-wsm you say:

Fliegen - You have to remember the prime qualifation for modship is having waggled your joystick, there is no guarantee of any level of education. At least one cannot even spell his local town, and should you ever get banned the citation reads like pure fiction dotted with swear-words. Post removal and banning from thread are used by lesser mods because they can do it more easily without gaining a consensus. One hooligan banned me for a month, then another reduced it to one week, then it became two weeks and after that I lost interest. Just try posting in the higher levels, the most reasonable of posts are edited or deleted and you never know why. All totally irrational. I am banned from particular threads so I have to log out to read them, then log back in and send a pm. Ludicrous! But some of the guys are good and worth reading, so it's worth the effort.

Apart from your first sentence being extremely rude, you are also "mistaken" in some other things you state.

I banned you for a month and you really ought to have understood why. It was also me (not "another") who reduced your length of ban because I thought on reflection that I was a bit harsh the first time round. I even put (if I remember correctly) "first ban too long".

By the way, I have NEVER sworn at anybody ever in PPRuNe and I certainly would never use swearwords in an explanation of why someone was banned.

If you have forgotten why I banned you, you decided to have a period of a ranting diatribe against someone who you decided had been rude and ungrateful to you. You stated this in no uncertain manner, even though a couple of other people told you that you had not read the posts over which you were so angry properly, and that the person in question had indeed thanked you and that person even then apologised if it had seemed rude but it was not his intention, and so I banned you from that thread. As you then continued to rant in other threads, I banned you from the site (then reduced the period). As far as I know the period was only changed once.

Incidentally, we "lesser mods" (by the way I used to be a supermod on here for quite a while until I resigned) do NOT have to "gain a concensus" for anything we do, and we can do (and indeed we do) a lot more than "post removal and banning from thread" without the need for reference to any "higher authority". As it happens, some of us discuss some events with other mods or the site owners and Admins.

Finally, as you see from the excerpt of the rules posted above by Sunnyjohn ......

This team also retains the right to remove any post, any thread and/or any member for any reason or no reason at all ........................ and do not have the time to explain why posts are deleted

...... there is no need for me to have explained any of this.

mike-wsm
28th Jan 2013, 23:22
a period of a ranting diatribe

Just one post. Very brief. No ranting diatribe.

I did rather a lot of work answering a question on that and on previous occasions only to be kicked in the teeth. I conveyed my disappointment very briefly in just the one post.

Another person made a post which wrongly introduced a totally different perspective, and that upset others. Not my doing. I did not intend that meaning.

I was very disappointed to run into that level of aggression. I had rather hoped someone might notice it was my 70th bithday.

What does your 'PITA' comment mean?

500N
29th Jan 2013, 00:02
PITA means Pain in the Arse.

11Fan
29th Jan 2013, 00:56
Sounds like a "Beer Summit" is in order. :ok:

etrang
29th Jan 2013, 03:38
[QUOTE] and it has been deleted...why? [QUOTE]

Why not? If you are not happy with the moderation here your should demand the refund of all your membership fees. Personally I think the moderation here is worth every penny I pay for it.

Slasher
29th Jan 2013, 05:07
Wholigan - with respect (you and John Tulla (Tech Log) are the only mods I do respect), banning individuals because of
the bleatings of a minority (eg Hotel Lobby Group, PC Ranting Group) only causes the bannee to be pissed off and serves
to dislike the mods even more - and this "punishment" culture thing does nothing except cause that. Am I any different
now than when I entered the dungeon? Course not! The "just culture" as practiced by John T in TL works extremely well -
which's why he has very little problem moderating his forum (and believe me - strangely enough there's plenty of room
for violence in TL just as there is in JB!!).

The cheesy reason given when I tried to log in when I last got the arse only served to further the same thing (and it is
obvious to me who wrote it). I read your reasoning in a past thread about my banning and that's why I'm even bothering
to write this post primarily to you (and thanks to those JBers who posted - I now know who my friends are!) :)

Here's one example of the kind of pissedoffness I speak - I've been locked out of the Medical forum the past few months
because the mod didn't like a brusque PM reply I sent to him - about a post I made about a worrying change I had in my
crapping habits - which was telling me in effect "I don't agree with what you said to me in private, so I will ban you from
the Forum." That spoke very loudly to me of the clear thinking ability of some mods, who can wield their wide powers in a
selfish irresponsible way. Pragmatic - not personal - reasons should be the order in any form of moderation or leadership.

I have to admit not all mods are naive - the History & Nostalgia mod waited till I got a useful reply to a question I asked
recently about a certain unsavoury historical event in WWII, before he had to submit to the knee-jerk reactionaries' rants
who only know Delete! Delete! Delete! and who don't have any ability to distinguish between a trolling post and one of
genuine inquiry. I know mods have to follow the R's of E - but what if a proactive moderator sees the correct intent of a
post while the small number of reactive Unwashed don't? Is there a rule that says mods have to obey the will of the vocal
minority just as modern politicians do? Capetonian's banning case in point.

But all this is c'est la guerre isn't it.

Rant over - I've a bunch of dumb cadets tripping over their shoelaces waiting for me at the sim centre coffee lounge. :uhoh:

Fliegenmong
29th Jan 2013, 09:25
Oh hey!, back again! OK I do apologise for putting it in the wrong place, I guess that was inappropriate, but i had just come back from being assaulted by that maori whore, so probably some heat of the moment too.

Thank you Wholli for the time and effort you put into moderating! :D

Wholigan
29th Jan 2013, 10:01
No worries mate. I think I might have been a bit pissed off too if I had experienced what you did. :ok:

ExXB
29th Jan 2013, 12:00
I'm feeling a little guilty. I issued a Troll Warning on a YAGT (Yet Another Gun Thread) the other day and a few minutes later the whole thing disappeared.

Yes, I know, only 8 PPRuNers actually read and post in those those threads and they're talking about knives now, but I am sorry.

Fliegenmong
29th Jan 2013, 12:40
Yes, Basil....wrong thread for my spat indeed, apologies all round, take nothing from NZ fallen servicemen / women...

That aside, I stand by what I wrote......I would not have posted if it were not a fact, albeit a PC unpalatable one :rolleyes: ......simply 'Don't bite the hand that feeds' is another way of putting it!!! :ok:

wings folded
29th Jan 2013, 18:50
It's very odd.

The thread appears to have snapped at 17.27.

Slasher
29th Jan 2013, 18:57
...There were some nice boobs involved after 1727
so probably some mod snapped it to spoil the fun.

It called Thread Censorship after all.....

rgbrock1
29th Jan 2013, 18:58
Then perhaps we should start a new thread. We'll name it:
'The Boob Tube'.

<see how long that one lasts!>

wings folded
29th Jan 2013, 18:59
No way of rejoining it with a reef knot or a bowline or some other Boy Scout's device, then?

rgbrock1
29th Jan 2013, 19:09
On the other hand, I guess we could take up a petition and submit it, signed by all of course, demanding a boob thread.

"We want boobs. We want boobs. We want boobs."

Signed,
The Proletariat

wings folded
29th Jan 2013, 19:14
I understand, ahem, that if you try really hard, there are a few well hidden secretive sites where the glimpse of a boob may be had.

No idea if that is so, of course, but have heard rumours about them.

rgbrock1
29th Jan 2013, 19:15
Mods. For the removal of pictures/photos depicting boobs....

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them (including pictures, photos or depictions of boobs) a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator (some more endowed than others, evidenced by the removed pictures, photos or depictions of the well-endowed) with certain unalienable rights....................

:D:D:D

Dushan
29th Jan 2013, 21:08
RGB, you evil. Now you acknowledge the presence of the supreme being, as long as you get boobs. So boobs are god given? Damn right they are.