PDA

View Full Version : Profitability

hawker750
28th Jan 2013, 11:58
Our net profit for 2012 worked out at just under 5% of turnover. This leaves us little margin for the inevitable extra costs that can occur (divesions, delays etc). However, I'll bet we did better than a lot because I think we invented the minimal overhead operation. However, It irriates me when clients say "knock £1,0000 off the price of a £20,000 charter and we will book it" That means we would do the job for a loss or break even at best. I really do not believe the paying passenger minds paying £19,000 or £20,000. Does the industry not realise that unless we can generate some profit after years of losses then there will soon not be a charter industry in Europe?
My next whinge is that after having screwed you down on price then the passengers do not play fair:
1/ Complaining that the Champagne was not to his liking and wants a £150 bottle
put on board for the return. (happened last week)
2/ Putting taxi charges on your handling bills without notification/authorisation and
then not paying them (happens all the time)
3/ Refusing to pay extra when the trip is subtastantially delayed due to clients' wishes
(happens a lot)
4/ Demanding the Captain's mobile phone number and then phoning him at 3 am
to say he wants a 7 am departure not midday. (happens from time to time)

We used to have a trade organisation called the Air Taxi Operator's Association that looked out for it's member's welfare (notification of bad payers was a good one).
I have left GAMTA because all I ever received from them was a mountain of e-mails about future possible legislation and nothing ever materialised about looking after the members.

Maybe about time to have a simple new Association that just looked after the best interests of it's members and promoted best practices. I am generally very pro the broker industry so I would welcome brokers joining. That way we could go back to feeling that they we are all on the same side.

HS125
28th Jan 2013, 17:31
(notification of bad payers was a good one)

Aero Liens List - Aviation Industry Claims, Liens, & Debt (http://www.aerolienslist.com) and www.duedil.com can be useful tools on that front!

Sadly felt your pain on all of these points on many an occasion.