PDA

View Full Version : Departing Space Station Commander Provides Tour of Orbital Laboratory

Billy Bunter
28th Jan 2013, 07:41
It is a long video, about 25 minutes, but absolutely fascinating.

Tour of Orbital Laboratory (http://www.youtube.com/embed/doN4t5NKW-k)

Wholigan
28th Jan 2013, 08:08
That was excellent.

brockenspectre
28th Jan 2013, 13:15
Brilliant!! Thank you :-D

G-CPTN
28th Jan 2013, 13:25
I sent it to my 5 year old grandson and he watched it all and has decided that he wants to work there when he grows up.

gorter
28th Jan 2013, 13:31
I sent it to my 5½ year old grandson and he watched it all and has decided that he wants to work there when he grows up.

And by the time he's 30 that will probably be a feasible reality.

Windy Militant
28th Jan 2013, 14:15
Originally Posted by G-CPTN
I sent it to my 5 year old grandson and he watched it all and has decided that he wants to work there when he grows up.

And by the time he's 30 that will probably be a feasible reality.

That's what what they said when I was Five. :(

Pelikal
28th Jan 2013, 15:04
Struth, talk about a bad hair day:eek:

Um... lifting...
29th Jan 2013, 15:13
Went through flight training with her long before she became a test pilot and an astronaut. She was talented, smart, personable then, and doesn't appear to have changed.

On earlier missions she ran the Boston Marathon on a treadmill in space and chopped off her hair to donate to one of those programs for wigs for cancer patients.

11Fan
29th Jan 2013, 15:32
Splendid. Thanks for the link. :ok:

Pelikal
29th Jan 2013, 15:38
Um... you having just posted what you have, makes my comment rather daft. But surely she should have tied her hair in that environment!

Um... lifting...
29th Jan 2013, 20:16
Sunita Williams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunita_Williams)

According to the above, her training from entering the space program to first flight was 8 years. My understanding is that's about normal. 3-4 missions is a career, though it probably depends a little on what one's background is, scientist, pilot, what-have-you.

Keep in mind she was a fleet aviator first, then a test pilot student, then a test pilot, then a test pilot instructor before being accepted into the astronaut program in her early 30s, first flight she was almost 40. This isn't a line of work you enter casually.

On the hair thing, I gather they required a certain length of hair to make a usable wig, and she tied both ends of her ponytail and then had it snipped off as a single unit and sealed in a bag. I think every woman whose photo I've seen in the shuttle or space station who wasn't wearing a helmet has simply worn her hair loose. I don't recall seeing any of them any other way.

G-CPTN
29th Jan 2013, 20:33
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/GroupCaptain/PamsHaircut.jpg

She did this after hearing a young girl say that what she feared most about chemotherapy was losing her hair . . .

axefurabz
29th Jan 2013, 21:19
Billy Bunter - many thanks for providing that link. Fascinating stuff!

Pelikal
29th Jan 2013, 21:48
Very well presented without getting too technical.

That's what I thought to. Pretty amazing how she got about in three dimensions and knew where everything was.

Tableview
6th Feb 2013, 07:34
Just watched it. Well worth the 25 minutes. Brilliant, excellent presentation by an articulate and knowledgeable person with a sense of humour.