PDA

View Full Version : Would you pass the UK citizenship test?

G-CPTN
27th Jan 2013, 23:09
Here are some possible questions and the multiple choice answer:-

1 Which landmark is a prehistoric monument which still stands in the English county of Wiltshire?
A) Stonehenge
B) Hadrian’s Wall
C) Offa’s Dyke
D) Fountains Abbey

2 What is the name of the admiral who died in a sea battle in 1805 and has a monument in Trafalgar Square, London?
A) Cook
B) Drake
C) Nelson
D) Raleigh

3 In 1801, a new version of the official flag of the United Kingdom was created. What is it often called?
A) The British Standard
B) The Royal Banner
C) The St George Cross
D) The Union Jack

4 Who is the Patron Saint of Scotland?
A) St Andrew
B) St David
C) St George
D) St Patrick

5 What flower is traditionally worn by people on Remembrance Day?
A) Poppy
B) Lily
C) Daffodil
D) Iris

6 Which of these sporting events was hosted in London in 2012?
A) The Commonwealth Games
B) Cricket World Cup
C) European Football Championship
D) Paralympic Games

7 At her Jubilee in 2012, how many years as Queen did Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II celebrate?
A) 25
B) 40
C) 50
D) 60

8 The second largest party in the House of Commons is usually known by what name?
A) The Senate
B) The opposition
C) The lords
D) The other side

9 From what age can you be asked to serve on a jury?
A) 16
B) 18
C) 21
D) 25

10 What is the title given to the person who chairs the debates in the House of Commons?
A) The speaker
B) The chairman
C) The leader of the house
D) The prime minister

Airborne Aircrew
27th Jan 2013, 23:14
This got posted on RockNet earlier...

So easy my six year old got 4 out of 10 and she's never lived in the UK...:D

KAG
28th Jan 2013, 03:50
I passed :eek:

pigboat
28th Jan 2013, 03:56
10 out of 10 and I didn't try hard. :p

Vercingetorix
28th Jan 2013, 04:19
Yep, 10/10 :D

obgraham
28th Jan 2013, 04:43
If I don't pass, do I have to turn in my UK citizenship?

Krystal n chips
28th Jan 2013, 05:53
That test does lend itself to so many alternative answers now doesn't it....:E

Ozzy
28th Jan 2013, 05:54
10/10 - nice one K&C :)

Ozzy

Tableview
28th Jan 2013, 06:33
I failed on no. 6 due to my total disinterest in anything related to sport, I thought it was the Commonwealth games.

stuckgear
28th Jan 2013, 06:51
i got question 10 wrong. i couldn't find the answer 'pri.ck'

Natstrackalpha
28th Jan 2013, 09:25
Would you pass the UK citizenship test?

What`s the UK?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
28th Jan 2013, 09:48
Not a single question on the responsibilities of a citizen.

Metro man
28th Jan 2013, 10:14
The questions should have been more relevant, suitable ones could include:

What are the grounds for issuing an ASBO ?
At what age can I LEGALLY drink ?
What are the penalties for possession of small quantities of drugs ?
How much dole money is a single mother entitled to ?
Who should I contact when I'm arrested ?
What search rights do the police have without a warrant ?
At what age may a young person be questioned by police without a responsible adult present ?
How do I access legal aid ?
How can I sue someone ?
How to appeal against deportation after a non citizen cousin has been convicted of a violent crime ?

These would be much more useful for potential new citizens.:E

green granite
28th Jan 2013, 10:26
All those who said they got 10 out of 10 should be ashamed of themselves, which ever answer you selected for question 3 will be wrong. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

The correct name for the flag is The Union FLAG, it may only be called the Union JACK when it is flown from the jack staff of one of Her Majesty's warships. They cant even get the answers right themselves.

Ballywalter Flyer
28th Jan 2013, 10:31
1) Blackpool Tower
2) Charlie Drake
3) Stars & Bars
4) Jimmy Cranky
5) Carnation
6) Full contact Tiddlywinks
7) 25
8) America
9) 12
10) Barack O'Bama

Where do I collect my passport?

david1300
28th Jan 2013, 10:59
Green granite - I think you fail the reading test. It doesn't ask what is it called, but what is it OFTEN called. For failing that you become an honorary US citizen, as they couldn't care less:p:p

CATIII-NDB
28th Jan 2013, 11:00
My passport has run out and I'm hopeless at tests like this:

The questions do seem a bit parochial ! to say the least. Did M Gove Es q have an input in all of this? or our fragrant peace loving intellectually world focused Home Secretary perhaps.

PS I thought Admiral Pierre-Charles Villeneuve came out of Trafalgar in better shape than Nelson.

There seems to be an Anglo-centric bias in the domain of the History covered in the questions. no Goose Grease on cartridges here or the battle of Omdurman.

I hope that the setters do better on the real example tests. Social responsibility and attitudes would be better test of citizenship.

CAT III

[And I suppose everyone's guessed CAT III - Did not History O'Level. Circa 1974 ]

Lon More
28th Jan 2013, 11:05
I got 10/10. Can I refuse the offer to renew mine?

CATIII-NDB
28th Jan 2013, 11:11
I will swap my old one for your "European Passport" - I think I will need one of those.

CAT III''s Citizenship test Questions

Who could be considered the first Scientist ?
Answer: Ibn al Haytham - The First Scientist - Alhazen - Ibn al Haitham - Biography - Bradley Steffens (http://www.firstscientist.net/)

Who could be considered the first British Scientist ?
Answer Roger Bacon
Who told us why an apple falls from the Sky /
Answer Sir Isaac Newton.

What was the school of Athens ?
Answer: A painting.

What is the The Chandrasekhar limit
Answer: See Chandrasekhar limit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrasekhar_limit)

I'm sure PPruNers can think of better questions that do test a sense of Citizenship.

CAT III

beaufort1
28th Jan 2013, 11:28
I'm not a UK citizen and we don't have jury duty down here in the islands so I didn't know the answer to that particular question. I'm guessing 18.

fabs
28th Jan 2013, 11:29
I agree with the concept of a citizenship test, but the way it is administered is terrible. Couple of years ago a neighbour of mine originally from Zimbabwe had to complete his in order to finish his application. He’s a serving British Army Officer having served 3 tours in Iraq and had just completed his second Afghan tour. I’d have assumed he’s already passed a citizenship test!

CATIII-NDB
28th Jan 2013, 11:29
Q6 - I think your Q's are from the N American Version of the test.

CATIII-NDB
28th Jan 2013, 11:31
Yep - Nail on the Head there.

SASless
28th Jan 2013, 11:34
Who would care to pass such a test?

Blacksheep
28th Jan 2013, 13:53
For me, one mystery is how can commonwealth citizens arrive by air at Stansted in the middle of the night, move straight into a flat and in no more than a couple of days, be working as Security Guards at Ocado or Booker? They stay for about six months and then leave for "a holiday" back home. Do such companies not have background checks on security guards? I'm sure there are sufficient British people who would be glad of the job, so how and why are brand new arrivals mopping up the job?

One obvious answer is that new arrivals are on visit visas, having been imported by "security" companies that have contracts with UK companies. The visitors are assigned to fill contracted positions and are rolled over as their visas expire. One chap we see locally every day is now on his third rotation. The Border Agency are not interested; they have more than they can cope with already.

stuckgear
28th Jan 2013, 14:04
Who would care to pass such a test?

indeed, i'd turn mine in if i could find an alternative.

Andy_S
28th Jan 2013, 14:13
I agree with the concept of a citizenship test, but the way it is administered is terrible.

I’m sure this new test is well intentioned, but – a bit like school exams – the answers can be drilled into the students. Being able to score 10 out of 10 on the test doesn’t mean that the subjects understand, accept and respect our culture.

I think we need to take a different approach.

1) Anyone wishing to become a UK citizen must be able to read, write and speak English.
2) Any children and / or spouse they want to bring with them must also be able to read, write and speak English to a level appropriate to their age. These are the only family members eligible.
3) They should be able to support themselves and any family members through permanent and sustainable employment, significant resources, or marriage.
4) They should sign a pledge acknowledging their acceptance of British law and culture and it’s precedence over any other law, culture or religion. This pledge should also contain an absolute commitment to respect and tolerate the religious beliefs, right to free speech and lifestyles of others.
5) They should provide a non-refundable bond sufficient to cover the costs of deportation for themselves and family members.
6) They (and any family members) should hand over any overseas passport they hold; this should be held by an appropriate authority in the UK.
7) They then have a ‘probationary’ period of 5 years in which to live in the UK and abide by our laws.
8) Any backsliding or failure to observe points 3) and 4) above, conviction of a single serious crime, or clocking up of three non-custodial criminal offences and it’s straight back to the airport (subject to the completion of any jail sentence, unless they prefer to serve it in their country of origin). Any appeals process to be clearly defined and limited in duration.

rgbrock1
28th Jan 2013, 14:20
10/10. Not bad for a Colonist!!!! :}:}:}

Davaar
28th Jan 2013, 14:46
One I remember from the Canadian analogue is:

How long is the St Lawrence River?

Huh? No kidding.

Slasher
28th Jan 2013, 17:21
I think I got 8/10.....2 were in the fuctifino areas.

Mac the Knife
28th Jan 2013, 17:51
Somewhere I have a copy of a little 50's booklet from the USA called "Good Citizenship".

Full of the expected homilies

Look after your health
Honor the Flag
Vote
Work hard
Take care of your neighborhood
Make time for recreation
Eat healthy
Participate in your schools
Be honest
Be thrifty
etc etc.

Real Samuel Smiles stuff - Samuel Smiles Quotes - BrainyQuote (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_smiles.html) - but no less valuable for that.

They used to be serious about things like that - maybe we should be too.

Mac

:ok:

(Davaar - 1196km - don't ask how I know that!)

Lonewolf_50
28th Jan 2013, 18:53
Without Looking at any internet sources, my answers are:

A
C
D
A
A
D (??)
C
B (??)
C
B

I'll try and figure out how I did.
Not a citizen of the UK.
6-8-9-10 guessed a bit, I think I got the others right.

EDIT: OK, I got 7/10, thanks for the chance to learn a few things. :ok:

G-CPTN
28th Jan 2013, 19:12
1 a
2 c
3 d
4 a
5 a
6 d
7 d
8 b
9 b
10 a

txdmy1
28th Jan 2013, 19:15
yup 10/10, straight oft the top of me heaad

Davaar
28th Jan 2013, 19:19
1196km - don't ask how I know that!)

Mac! Top of the class!

The chap for whom I acted in the Appeal did not.

He had been born in the US, spent his life from childhood upwards and graduated in Canada, and was gainfully employed as a special assistant to a minister in the federal cabinet.

I'm with you on Samuel Smiles. Going just on memory, he narrates that many of Britain's great engineers were illiterate until anulthood. I rather think George Stephenson was one such.

G-CPTN
29th Jan 2013, 21:55
In the 1980s, the largest immigrant groups were from the West Indies, Ireland, India and Pakistan.

TRUE OR FALSE?

Which TWO of these are names for the Church of England?

(Methodist, Episcopal, Anglican, Presbyterian)

How many parliamentary constituencies are there?

(464, 564, 646, 664)

Is the following statement TRUE or FALSE?

Ulster Scots is a dialect which is spoken in Northern Ireland.

In which year did married women get the right to divorce their husband?

(1837, 1857, 1875, 1882)

Metro man
29th Jan 2013, 23:01
1. How long can the police detain me before I have to be either charged or released ?

2. Will my 14 year old fiancé be expected to attend school when she arrives in the country or can she claim benefits straight away ?

3. Can I slaughter animals at my home for religious ceremonies ?

4. How long can I be out of the country and still claim unemployment benefit ?

5. How many job offers can I refuse before my benefits are affected ?

6. How do I go about having the laws changed to suit my culture and religion ?