PDA

View Full Version : Oversupply?

Stevie C
18th Apr 2001, 04:32
Errr.... as somewhere staring down the cliff face of a career as a commercial pilot, can anyone tell me whether there are too many qualified pilots for too few jobs or t'other way round. I can't get a conclusive answer. Is the first step to F/O the most competitive bit but once you're ATPL it gets a bit easier? I would appreciate some enlightenment or opinion.

------------------

Luke SkyToddler
18th Apr 2001, 11:07
There is, right now, amongst jet airline operators in the UK, a large shortage of captains (and high time FO's that are suitable for quick promotion). However, there is still a vast abundance of low time CPL holders looking for their first break. Most turboprop operators, and companies that are known to employ low timers, receive several unsolicited CVs every day.

It is still possible to come straight out of an approved course and land yourself on a jet with 200 hours, but don't be fooled that it happens to everyone! The current experience level that seems to interest most airlines is total time in excess of 1000 hours (unless you have significant multi time), plus all the frills on the licence. There is still stiff competition even at that level, you can expect some rigorous interviews, sim rides, and other hoops to jump through, before you get that golden first airline job.

I've been hearing the old 'impending massive pilot shortage' song being sung by flying school marketing machines for as long as I've been in this business (a bit over 6 years now). I have yet to see the slightest sign of it actually arriving, at least at the level that all us wannabe's want it.

RVR800
18th Apr 2001, 12:08
I work in IT and the media reckon there is a shortage of IT people, but I see no evidence
of this with many salaries offered in Central London of just 20K in the press.
Which is below average for jobs that are not
in shortage.

A shortage means that the employer has to
spend time and money investing in people -
This is something they hate. What they are all gambling on is that there will be some jobs fall out from the world economic downcycle and they wont have to stump up the cash as people will come in off the streets
able to do the job..

Lets hope they are wrong..

Capt Wannabee
18th Apr 2001, 12:41
From people I have spoken to in aviation there is definitely no shortage of low hour CPL's and competition for jobs is very fierce. There is (apparently) a shortage of type rated pilots and Captains.
No matter what anyone says it is not going to be an easy ride getting into the jet RHS but at the end of the day would you be happy with yourself if you didn't try and follow your dream!

Evo7
20th Apr 2001, 17:16
RVR800

I always thought that "skills shortage" meant that there weren't people to do a skilled job for peanuts, not that there weren't people to do the job....

foghorn
21st Apr 2001, 13:23
RVR800,

There is a skills shortage in IT a big one, it's just that the £20k jobs are for graduates/IT wannabes and people with old out of fashion skills...

The airline industry seems a bit like VB programming - at the bottom end there's loads of them looking for jobs on (relatively) small salaries, but some banks are prepared to pay a fortune for VB people with Investment Banking experience on complex financial systems etc...

I don't expect the IT skills shortage to last for more than the next five years, though, the high pay has meant a rush of people into the industry...