View Full Version : Skype issues

racedo
26th Jan 2013, 18:25
Use Skype but over the last week it runs but doesn't seem to want to connect to net.

Any ideas ?

exeng
26th Jan 2013, 19:22
First thing I would try is a bit of brute force. (don't use a normal hammer if you have a sledge hammer to hand!)

I would uninstall Skype and then download it again afresh - it worked for me once many moons ago when something had gone amiss in the settings.

Regards
Exeng

mixture
26th Jan 2013, 20:25
I would uninstall Skype and then download it again afresh

I concurr.

Sunnyjohn
26th Jan 2013, 21:14
Indeed. That is their own advice and it has worked for me several times.

ExSp33db1rd
26th Jan 2013, 23:40
Nothing worked for me until I "restored defaults" on my Anti-virus stuff - McAfee.

For some reason it had banned Skype.

Since discovering this I find I have to do it every couple of weeks, and haven't found anyway to make McAfee take permanent heed.

Another machine using Titanium Micro - or something like that - never has a problem.

Communicating with Mr.Skype is an exercise in frustration, too. With peristance one can get into some sort of txt.chat system, whereby you keep 'talking' on the computer keyboard, but don't delay in sending back answers or they assume you have lost interest and close the dialogue, then you have to start all over again with another operator - who knows little about what you have just wasted an hour over. Hate it, pity Skype is so good when it works properly, or I'd give it the old Heave Ho.

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Jan 2013, 23:50
haven't found anyway to make McAfee take permanent heed
I have. It took a bit of effort, but I'm pretty sure that I have now succeeded in completely uninstalling it.

Milo Minderbinder
27th Jan 2013, 10:53
the cure for McAfee problems

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR) (http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331)

Nervous SLF
30th Mar 2013, 23:04
Sorry to sound dim ( tad difficult when I am dim though :O ) but I have a hotmail e-mail account. I keep getting told that something called "messenger"
is being discontinued and I must download skype. Well I don't use this "messenger" thing and don't wish to install skype as I would
be unable to use it as I don't have a webcam or microphone to use. They also keep talking about paying for this skype and I have no intention
whatsoever of doing that.
Does this mean my hotmail e-mail account will be cut off if I refuse to join in their game?

Capetonian
30th Mar 2013, 23:22
It seems that on my W8 laptop I can't use my Skype account (I hardly ever use it anyway) unless I sign into it with a Microsoft account (Hotmail?). I don't like the way all this is linked together. As far as I'm concerned Skype and MSN can go and f#ck themselves and I won't use either - no loss to me.

BEagle
31st Mar 2013, 10:02
Micro$oft seems to have been bug.gering about with Hotmail yet again. Fortunately I access Hotmail as an additional e-mail account in Outlook Express (emphatically NOT that POS 'Windows Live mail') and only go to the Hotmail site now and again to check whether anything has been misdirected to my spam folder.

Don't give your Hotmail address to Skype - and don't let Micro$oft link Skype to Hotmail......

Why do these wretched geeks keep screwing about with a perfectly reliable system?

Also, do NOT store any addresses on ANY webmail site or you will inevitably find some hacker using them to spam your contacts.

Skype can be used for free without any webcam or microphone if you just want to send text messages to your Skype contacts. But an e-mail is just as simple!

Sunnyjohn
31st Mar 2013, 12:48
Does this mean my hotmail e-mail account will be cut off if I refuse to join in their game?
No - just ignore it. You Hotmail account will be updated without you subscribing to Skype and your existing messages and settings will be preserved.

OFSO
31st Mar 2013, 13:30
Paying for SKYPE - Skype is free computer to computer. If you want to talk computer to landline phone, you pay, either on a cost basis or sign up for a year's contract which gives you "free" calls 24hr a day to all the phones in your chosen country.

SKYPE is a bit dodgy now and then (poor quality, noisy, echoes) but generally works well and is essential in countries like Spain where the phone lines tend to dissolve when it rains (i.e. all the time).

Milo Minderbinder
31st Mar 2013, 14:39
where does it rain in Spain?

Capetonian
31st Mar 2013, 14:56
La lluvia en Espaņa cae principalmente encima de la meseta.

It doesn't rhyme properly in Spanish.

Sunnyjohn
31st Mar 2013, 15:37
where does it rain in Spain?
Despite the (in)famous phrase, it rains (here at least) mainly on the mountains, which is why this part of Spain is good for tourists, and us.

ExSp33db1rd
1st Apr 2013, 02:11
.........if you just want to send text messages to your Skype contacts.

Except .... Skype won't accept my cellphone number, and when I complained they came back with some gobbledegook about NZ telecom not recognising alphanumeric characters ?

But... as we have a local NZ VOIP protocol competitor that is similar to Skype, i.e. free computer to computer ( providing your friend is also signed up with them, which few are 'cos they've never heard of it ) they do accept my cellphone number so I use them instead and type all my txt's on a keyboard instead of making a million errors pressing all those tiny keys on the phone - but then they don't use it, instead anybody "replying" to my txt. has their "reply" sent to the service, and they send me an e-mail on their website, so if I want to get an answer I have to find a computer and sign in to their website with the username and password that I can never remember etc. etc.

Actually it's not too bad, I never have to bother with any replies - they store up on the VOIP website until I bother to look at them when I get home. Makes life easier.

World's Gone Mad.

Just heard of an I.Q reducing pill, if you worry about everyone being dim and unintelligent, and not understanding you, just take a 50% IQ reducing pill, next morning stay in bed listening to rap music all day - and don't worry about a thing, you're as dim as everybody else. Therein lies the road to happiness !

Loose rivets
1st Apr 2013, 05:13
All together now . . .

"The Rain in Spain, falls main-ly on, the Spaniards. de da de da da."

Sunnyjohn
1st Apr 2013, 12:47
"The Rain in Spain, falls main-ly on, the Spaniards who live in the mountains.