PDA

View Full Version : Womens Tennis Prize Money

david1300
26th Jan 2013, 12:23
I think one of the great robberies of all time is happening every year in every Grand Slam tennis tournament. Ultimately fans pay to support tennis, through entry fees and media rights (which are paid through advertising, and built into the cost of products).

Yet women tennis players earn the same prizemoney as men for, on average, providing only 60% of the entertainment value (matches decided over 3 sets for women, and 5 sets for men). I actually believe it's far less, as there are far more one-sided womens matches than mens. I think I'll try and find an analysis of games played in the Australian Open, being decided right now, to back this up.

The men are clearly being robbed. Mind you, I don't really care, not having watched a tennis match live or on TV since the Pete Sampras era in mens tennis, and since the girls started grunting like feral boars.

Arch Stanton
26th Jan 2013, 12:48
If women tennis players really wanted to see how much they are worth they should have completely separate tournaments from the men.

As it is at the moment, they are piggy backing off the success of mens tennis and the sponsors who pay to be associated with them. It is akin to you or I paying to watch the best basketball team in the world and then being forced to pay for the privilege of allowing a ladies team to play beforehand, and the ladies insisting they should be paid the same as the men in the interests of equality!

pineridge
26th Jan 2013, 12:48
that was Billy Jean King`s doing. Look it up.

stuckgear
26th Jan 2013, 12:56
yeah but the upskirt action is worth it.

http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/500/thumbs/Tennis_Upskirt_Who_is_this.jpg

pineridge
26th Jan 2013, 14:08
You are correct, Stuck Gear, I meant look up it.

wings folded
26th Jan 2013, 14:13
So they are paid, then, for grunting and shrieking?

My, my, I didn't realise...

Milo Minderbinder
26th Jan 2013, 17:43
at which point in history did it become acceptable for female tennis players to display their underwear?
who was the first, and what was the reaction of the old fogies who governed the sport?

G-CPTN
26th Jan 2013, 17:47
who was the first,Little Mo - Maureen Connolly?

AtomKraft
26th Jan 2013, 17:53
That's a lovely.......skirt. ;)

G-CPTN
26th Jan 2013, 17:56
who was the first
Also on this day, Thursday June 20, 1949, a young lady with frilly knickers would be the first to be seen on court, The committee of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club were fuming.
The real problem started when Wimbledon officials denied Miss. Gertrude Agusta Moran (Gorgeous Gussy) her request to wear coloured outfit in 1949 she didn't get mad, she got even, she asked fashion designer Ted Tinling to create a tennis outfit that would comply with their strict rules. Her lace-trimmed knickers were front-page news worldwide, and were even the subject of debate in Parliament!
From (and more at):- Gertrude Agusta Moran (Gorgeous Gussy) (http://www.goldonian.org/wimbledon/gorgeous_gussie.htm).

RedhillPhil
26th Jan 2013, 20:10
I believe that gorgeous Gussie has only just recently joined the tennis circuit in the sky.

Hydromet
26th Jan 2013, 20:18
Quite so, RHPhil. Obit here (http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/gorgeous-gussy-moran-the-woman-who-shocked-wimbledon-dies-20130118-2cx3j.html).

parabellum
26th Jan 2013, 23:31
I think Ladies tennis should stay at three sets until they reach the last, say, sixteen, then move up to five sets.

I agree with bluecode, young ladies jumping around in short skirts is much more entertaining than big hairy men in shorts. :)

Milo Minderbinder
27th Jan 2013, 02:20
just be thankful that a Highland Games version of tennis never became popular......imagine watching players in kilts, with the usual undertrimmings

PLovett
27th Jan 2013, 03:32
One reason put forward for the difference was that match organisers would have to schedule matches over a greater number of days, or get more courts and officials, if womens matches were to be best of 5 sets.