PDA

View Full Version : Delta (DL200) Atlanta Int (KATL) to OR Tambo Int. (FAJS) route

Syckes
25th Jan 2013, 15:22
Hi all.

Delta used to operate 767-? aircraft on their Atlanta - Johannesburg route if I remember correct but now they use 777-200LR equipment.
Now if I'm not mistaken, with the 767 they flew Atlanta - Dakar/Ilsa del Sol - Johannesburg but the 77L can fly the route non-stop right (ETOPS?)? So do they still fly the route with a stop or direct non-stop?

Thanks
Syckes

davidjohnson6
25th Jan 2013, 23:26
Syckes - I'm sure you've looked at the Delta.com website prior to asking a question about a Delta flight. Could I ask what information you found on the Delta.com website in relation to your question ?

jabird
25th Jan 2013, 23:40
Well I've done Syckes' homework for him/her, and yes, it is non stop.

A return leg of 16h50 must be pushing the range of the B777 and it must be up there with the longest flight durations for non stop service.

I wasn't sure if you were just wanting to know these details, or if you were asking why an airline might operate a route with a stop, when the aircraft was capable of doing the whole route non stop?

If that's your question (even though not the case here), there could be numerous reasons for this, largely relating to the market at the mid point. Clearly they don't believe the market in the Azores to be sufficient to warrant that, but if you look at many UK <> Caribbean routes, you will find many have calling points en-route, and some operate triangle rotations.

Are we done now?

Syckes
26th Jan 2013, 10:16
@ davidjohnson6: Yes, I did look at Delta's site before asking my question.They indicate a non-stop. I did however get an indication that they operate the flight direct non-stop on some days and with a stop in Dakar on others but both are given as non-stop. Guess they see that stop only as a "quick" fuel stop. I know other airlines do and did the same on the same route but that was more because of range.

@ jabird: I did do my homework but couldn't get a definitive answer so I thought I'd ask the question to people who are in the know. The route is about 8450SM (7345NM rouded up) and the B77L can go 9380NM but it is pusing the crew. I was aware of the direct non-stop info but thank you for it anyway.:ok: It ranks as the 5 longest non-stop service if memory serves correct, longest being 18h30. I was just wondering if they do, as I mentioned before, really fly the route direct and non-stop now (everyday) or still do the stop on certain days? As I said, I know some airlines give the flight as a non-stop even though they actually do stop in Dakar as the pax aren't allowed to disembark and crew is usaully swopped for the remaining leg with ones that were on-board. Was just curious as the Arrilval times I got on diffirent sites were diffirent for the same day and same flight and no route info. Asked Delta but got no reply, so thus my question is here. Thank you for the info though. Much appreciated.