PDA

View Full Version : Political Correctness Run Amok - Ohio Teacher To Be Fired

rgbrock1
24th Jan 2013, 18:12
Here's the situation. An Ohio Middle School teacher has been placed on unpaid administrative leave since earlier this month.
She has received a letter from the local school board of their intent to fire her. Her high crimes and misdemeanors?

In a class one day a student asked for something to fix his broken binder. The teacher gave him some duct tape. (Fair enough I would think.)

The kid, clowning around, tore off a piece of the duct tape
and placed it over his mouth and started kidding around. His classmates, thinking it was funny, did the same.

The teacher took a photo of the clowning classmates and gave it to one of them. Who then posted the clowning classmates onto facebook.

Well, a member of the local school board saw the picture and was "outraged" and "livid".

The school board held a meeting about these high crimes and misdemeanors and decided to suspend the teacher for her "irresponsible actions".
The reason given? "The possible psychological impact of the teacher's actions resulting in her students exposure to Internet web sites of dubious value."

Huh? WTF? HAVE WE ALL GONE MAD? What kind of bs is this? Sheesh.

stuckgear
24th Jan 2013, 18:26
sounds about as mental as our health and safety...

Teacher Tracey Smith receives £70k compensation after she was unfairly sacked for pruning a tree | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267084/Teacher-Tracey-Smith-receives-70k-compensation-unfairly-sacked-pruning-tree.html)

A teacher has been awarded £70,000 compensation for being unfairly sacked over allegations including pruning a bush without following health and safety procedures.
Tracey Smith, 44, was tidying up a courtyard and used a saw to cut back an overgrown buddleia.
No children were present at the time. However, her failure to follow proper procedures by first carrying out a ‘risk assessment’ was given as one of the reasons for her dismissal by the local authority.

http://www.finegardening.com/CMS/uploadedImages/Images/Gardening/Plants/Buddleia_davidii_Peacock_lg.jpg

rgbrock1
24th Jan 2013, 18:30
Risk assessment for pruning a goddamn tree?

Can I shoot myself now?

500N
24th Jan 2013, 18:34
stuckgear

I read that the other day and nearly fell off my chair.

The OP's example is very good and just how stupid society has become.

rgb
Good isn't it.

Next we'll be asked for a risk assessment before jumping out of a plane
and firing at the enemy :O

The result will be - "too dangerous, you might get hit by a bullet so
no you can't shoot them" :O

pigboat
24th Jan 2013, 18:35

Can I shoot myself now?
Don't shoot yourself, that'll mean the stupid sob's will have won.

rgbrock1
24th Jan 2013, 18:38
The only risk assessment I encountered when jumping out of perfectly sound aircraft, 500N, was the assessment the jump master gave right before planting his size 10 boot in our asses. :ok:

Temp Spike
24th Jan 2013, 18:43
You need a saw to trim back a Lilac Bush? Bit risky ain't it? :}

500N
24th Jan 2013, 18:44
The best I saw was a "clean" water jump famil close to short for a whole load of people - including me at the time.

Let's say after the streamer was thrown out and a quick chat on the radio
to the Safety craft below, it was "definitely" below the 15 - 20 knot threshold :O

Ballshit it was :O Great for surfing though (I got my ass kicked for doing it ):ok:

Temp Spike
24th Jan 2013, 18:47
Same thing happened to me 500N, but I was the first...and the last out.

Felt really lonely that day.

stuckgear
24th Jan 2013, 18:53

Can I shoot myself now?

not until you complete a risk assessment, you will of course have to be wearing a hi viz vest safety boots and protective goggles..

nor post any pictures on FB...

or the PC nutters will have to shoot you.

500N
24th Jan 2013, 18:54
Temp

I always tried to be first - or close to the front.

I did a water jump on my selection course - with even less training :O and loved it so I knew what to expect.

Although the jump on the Course, it was flat calm, blue skys and peaceful as.
The other one I reckon was 20 - 25 knots and I just happened to land face first with my toes catching the water :O Not the most graceful of landings LOL

stuckgear
24th Jan 2013, 18:56
You need a saw to trim back a Lilac Bush? Bit risky ain't it? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

chainsaw ! :p;):}

Mr Chips
24th Jan 2013, 20:01
The teacher took a photo of the clowning classmates and gave it to one of them. Who then posted the clowning classmates onto facebook.

Interestingly, another version says this
There were about 15 or 16 middle school students in the class. Eight or nine students put the tape on their mouths. Cairns took a photo and posted it on her personal Facebook page as a joke
Ohio Teacher Faces Firing for Duct-Tape Stunt - My Suncoast: National (http://www.mysuncoast.com/news/national/ohio-teacher-faces-firing-for-duct-tape-stunt/article_ecc698f6-6573-11e2-8d52-001a4bcf6878.html)

So the news outlet says the teacher put it on her own facebook page, which is poor judgement at best, and infringing the pupils privacy at worst.

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Jan 2013, 20:04
Can I shoot myself now?
Yes. That would not get you sacked, being protected by the second amendment.

Lonewolf_50
24th Jan 2013, 20:07
Suggest you learn how to read, Gertrude.

On the other hand, a lot of my more Libertarian friends hold that suicide is a right reserved by any citizen (by any means) and consider any law or regulation prohibiting it to be fundamentally unconstitutional and an imposition on the freedom of citizens.

Off topic for this conversation, to be sure, but an interesting position when one considers Doctor Jack and the whole "merciful euthanasia" movement.

RedhillPhil
24th Jan 2013, 21:39
The latest from Railtrack for it's employees is that they have to wear safety glasses whilst on the track. Then it rains and it's impossible to see anything leading to potential trips and falls but hey, it's safe!

Dushan
24th Jan 2013, 21:42
sacked over allegations including pruning a bush without following health and safety procedures.

Everybody knows she should have used wax strips.

Temp Spike
24th Jan 2013, 21:45
500N - well I always had the radio. Back then they were prick 25's for whatever and a little UHF for air. Sometimes a BIG HF for range. I was first and if nobody else came out, I was to destroy the radio and fight to the death. So now somewhere out there is a prick 25 at the bottom of the Pacific and a Polynesian girl with a crooked nose.

chiglet
24th Jan 2013, 21:48
You WANT a CHAINSAW????:ok:

Shortcut (http://www.dietzel.com/partner/idevaffiliate.php?id=648) don't work. Checkout V8 chainsaws on yootoob

radeng
24th Jan 2013, 22:08
I'd pay the teacher every penny and then some. Then I would surcharge the admin dickheads personally for every penny. After which, I would SACK the bastards - with no reference!

If I wasn't a bleeding heart liberal tree hugger, I'd hang, draw and quarter them in public after that....

Checkboard
24th Jan 2013, 22:13
What I'd REALLY like to see is a story that, after the teacher was paid €70,000 for wrongful dismissal - that the guy who dismissed her LOST his case for wrongful dismissal for sacking her in the first place!

belfrybat
25th Jan 2013, 00:25
From
Ohio Teacher Faces Firing for Duct-Tape Stunt - My Suncoast: National (http://www.mysuncoast.com/news/national/ohio-teacher-faces-firing-for-duct-tape-stunt/article_ecc698f6-6573-11e2-8d52-001a4bcf6878.html)

"Why was there duct tape in the classroom? How did they [the students] come to have access to it," said Haas. "We'll have these answers to these questions later."

Seems like duct tape in the classroom was the problem. McGyver wouldn't have a chance.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Jan 2013, 00:33
..and the good teachers leave first. Not just because of the risk of being fired for not following 'policies', but because the policies are so bloody restrictive and counter-productive to start with.
I quit being a Head of Science in the UK 4 years ago. The 2 Heads of Science I worked for before becoming one have quit that post also. In only one case have we been replaced because no one else wants the aggro. This is the Independent sector. You'll have to look for a bloody long time to even find a decent one in the state sector.

hellsbrink
25th Jan 2013, 03:21
The latest from Railtrack for it's employees is that they have to wear safety glasses whilst on the track. Then it rains and it's impossible to see anything leading to potential trips and falls but hey, it's safe!

No different to construction sites, the idea is to minimise the dust entering your eye. And if you wear glasses, they'll give you a different type of safety eyewear which can fit over the top of your glasses, which is fun because they can give an extra "correction" leading to dizziness, headaches, blurred vision, etc as well as the matter of working with power tools whilst having compromised vision.......

And all because, shock horror, someone sat down and figured out that people working in a dusty environment could get dust in their eye (and since the safety glasses don't seal around the face like safety goggles do, you still get dust in your eye), "something must be seen to be done about it"..........

Snapdragon
25th Jan 2013, 05:16
Temp and 500N, why do you have to try and hijack this thread with war stories about how hard you are jumping out of planes? This is about PC Bs! There are many out there who have done military para courses, myself included, but we don't need to try and convince ourselves, let alone anyone else, how absolutely nails we are! We know and are content with that! Stay on topic! :}

Worrals in the wilds
25th Jan 2013, 05:38
The latest from Railtrack for its employees is that they have to wear safety glasses whilst on the track. Reminds me of the last time I bought some safety glasses for clay target shooting. 'These are shotgun proof' said the guy as he pulled them off the shelf. 'Of course your head isn't, but your sunnies will be fine.' :E
I thought he had a point...

Krystal n chips
25th Jan 2013, 05:58
"
Huh? WTF? HAVE WE ALL GONE MAD? What kind of bs is this? Sheesh"

Whilst being far from an advocate of the "elf n saferty an risk arsessmunt for everyfink" brigade, in this case, you have to question the logic, or lack off to be more precise, of the teacher who seemingly allowed several pupils to stick duct tape over their mouths and then, allegedly, post photo's on a social networking site....:ugh:

The histrionic response is about par for the cousins and is just that... in part at least.

But BS it is not....only one person seems to have gone mad initially...although this has now spread beyond the Ohio classroom as evidenced on here....for example.

Worrals in the wilds
25th Jan 2013, 07:59
Was the duct tape the issue or was it the posting of the photos? Facebook is a fickle beast; it all seems like fun until someone defames someone wealthy...:uhoh: or someone's pictures get beamed around the world without their consent.

Having been involved with a community group that had many underage members, we used to get everyone (or their parents) to sign agreements that their images could be used in social media PR material and old school media releases. Most people had no issue with it, but occasionally there would be someone who wasn't keen. Usually it was due to an abusive family member or other threat that meant they didn't want their image (or their child's image) and location broadcast on the 'net. It wasn't that hard to work around.

While working with that group, we had a constant battle with the younger members about what constituted appropriate Facebook content. The average teenager hasn't heard of defamation or harassment any more than we had at that age, but these days it's frighteningly easy to stray into troubled waters. :uhoh:

Devil's Advocate and all that...:p On the surface this story sounds a bit OTT, but there are real issues with social media that can blow up in people's faces. These days there's no such thing as 'what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.' Some idiot's always got a smart phone camera standing by, and in many cases this has burned adults in grown up workplaces. :( Planking, anyone?

There were about 15 or 16 middle school students in the class. Eight or nine students put the tape on their mouths. Cairns took a photo and posted it on her personal Facebook page as a joke :hmm: IMO any teacher/person who works with minors who puts a phot of them on his/her Facebook page is asking for trouble.

Sorry. PPRuNe Party Pooper Nominee 2013. :}

Ancient Observer
25th Jan 2013, 13:04
Is Ohio a bit like Newfy? Are there lots of non-pc Ohio jokes?

stuckgear
25th Jan 2013, 13:16
AO,

Ohio.. also known as Planet OH10.

rgbrock1
25th Jan 2013, 13:20
Aw stuckgear, you're just jealous. Or, you're living in your own private Idaho!!!!

G&T ice n slice
25th Jan 2013, 15:35
Sheesh.. I read the headline as:

"Teacher to be fried"

StressFree
25th Jan 2013, 15:50
Krystal,

I see your still spouting the usual leftie BS...........:hmm:

Krystal n chips
25th Jan 2013, 16:12
" Krystal,

I see your still spouting the usual leftie BS"

You seem a shade confused here...nothing new I agree, but then again, maybe tis me who is confused....please explain how duct taping the students gobs shut and then, allegedly, posting the pics on a social networking site benefits the, er, student in some way.

The use of diagrams is permitted in your response..if this makes it easier for you. :E

stuckgear
25th Jan 2013, 16:43
You seem a shade confused here...nothing new I agree, but then again, maybe tis me who is confused....please explain how duct taping the students gobs shut and then, allegedly, posting the pics on a social networking site benefits the, er, student in some way.

dear confused,

pot.. kettle..

RGB's OP..

The kid, clowning around, tore off a piece of the duct tape
and placed it over his mouth and started kidding around. His classmates, thinking it was funny, did the same.

if you are having trouble with the concept, please feel free to draw all the diagrams you care to.

500N
25th Jan 2013, 16:48
Christ, if teachers get sacked for letting kids having a bit of fun with
duct tape, I'm glad they were not around 30 years ago.

I think the same would apply to everyone on here and what
went on at school !

rgbrock1
25th Jan 2013, 17:00
Krystal:

The pupils of the to-be-fired teacher did not have their "gobs" duct taped shut by their teacher: they did it to themselves. Joking around.

stuckgear
25th Jan 2013, 17:05
ahh there's still tickets for the outrage bus.. see KnC in the ticket office :p

Mr Chips
25th Jan 2013, 17:07
please explain how duct taping the students gobs shut and then, allegedly, posting the pics on a social networking site benefits the, er, student in some way.

Sorry, but I love how the duct taping the students mouth is presented as fact, but then "Allegedly" posting the pics on facebook. Pretty sure the Facebook pic part is a verifiable fact...

rgbrock1
25th Jan 2013, 17:08
stuckgear:

In these politically correct times (or, the continued Pussification of the West as I call it) I would imagine the outrage bus must have standing room only now, no? Matter of fact, tickets for the outrage bus must have sold out a long time ago!!!

stuckgear
25th Jan 2013, 17:11
oh no RGB it would appear that way from the noise coming from it, but it's not even half full :ok:

StressFree
25th Jan 2013, 17:50
Krystal,

I think other posters have said enough to mean I don't need to make further comment.

However let me say this, people like you are a modern disease that is killing our societies. If I have to explain that further then I know I'm dealing with a proponant of social decline, you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I genuinely mean you no offence, we obviously have very different opinions, lets just be glad that we can have this debate before big brother shuts this site down due to it's dangerous 'effects' upon society, just think how horrible it would be for a minor to see such views; it could scar them forever.....

Thank God you were'nt around in 1940, defending the shores of the UK, you'd complain about getting your feet wet........:(

Krystal n chips
26th Jan 2013, 04:53
Hmmm !

Let me explain...possibly in vain I suppose.

I never said the teacher duct taped the students mouths, they seemingly did it themselves.

Now, as we have all used the stuff, we are aware of the adhesion capability are we not ?......thus even allowing one, let alone several students to place the tape over their mouths has nothing to do with "PC" more to do with plain stupidity and lack of authority / responsibility, plus duty of care, within a classroom. Ever heard of panic attacks or hyper ventilation at all ?

What the students do away from the school is their responsibility, but when you are responsible for others, then the onus falls in you...nobody else.

This is called taking responsibility for your actions, another theme that is trotted out on here on a regular basis.

On the other hand, the practice of taping students mouths would seem to have a certain, albeit very minimal, attraction for some teachers in the US Education system.....:ugh:

Melissa Cairns, Ohio Teacher, Faces Firing For Facebook Photo Of Duct Tape Over Students' Mouths (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/22/melissa-cairns-ohio-teach_n_2529166.html)

Stress Free,

Yes, I know, terrible isn't it that people like me exist to counter your regressive views of society....however, given that I started working life at a well known Bucks. holiday camp run by the Gov't, and that I had no intention of working in an office / factory all my life, this may give you a clue as to what I would have been doing in 1940 had I been alive at the time.

As for a certain networking site, well the photo's have been removed according to the media reports, hence the use of the word allegedly.

stuckgear
26th Jan 2013, 08:01
KnC,

Let me explain...possibly in vain I suppose.

I never said the teacher duct taped the students mouths

with all due respect, you posted this:

'please explain how duct taping the students gobs shut and then, allegedly, posting the pics on a social networking site benefits the, er, student '

Now, as we have all used the stuff, we are aware of the adhesion capability are we not ?......thus even allowing one, let alone several students to place the tape over their mouths has nothing to do with "PC" more to do with plain stupidity and lack of authority / responsibility, plus duty of care, within a classroom. Ever heard of panic attacks or hyper ventilation at all ?

my god !! good point.. there could have been a fire and no one could call for help and they'd all be extra crispy..

or.. or.. or..

an evil capitalist with a gun could try and take over the school and no one could call 9-11..

or. or.. or..

obama may make an emergency address of the nation and no one would be able cheer the great and holy obama..

i got duct tape stuck on my chin once, biting it off the roll.. it was close thing.. but i survived.. *phew*