PDA

View Full Version : Little Morale boost

Rob 747
18th Jul 2001, 16:43
“During the 1960’s an interesting experiment was conducted with most conclusive and revealing results. On the Stamford University Campus, Psychologist Dr Walter Mischel tested a class of four-year olds and then tracked them periodically through their lives.

The experiment itself was simple. The class of youngsters were presented with a single marshmallow each by their teacher and then given a choice. They could have another marshmallow upon his return if they waited patiently for him to do an errand.

Alternatively, they could have only that one marshmallow, but they could have it now if they didn’t want to wait. They were left alone in the room then with their single marshmallow while the teacher left the room for fifteen minutes. Some children covered their eyes or sung to distract themselves, while others gave in and simply ate the marshmallow.

Those children that still had not eaten their marshmallow upon the teacher’s return, were rewarded with a second. Many years later, the children that had waited were compared to those that hadn’t and the results were dramatic. Those that had waited were generally far more successful in every aspect of their lives.

It’s not too late for you to adopt a new concept in the way you live in order to get you to your goal.

I call this concept ‘pleasure postponement’.

In other words, the ability to delay indulging yourself today so that you may indulge yourself twice as much tomorrow.

An example of pleasure postponement is that of full-time study for a qualification to further your career- it may mean that in the short-term you are not as well-off as your counterparts who are in employment, but in the long-term, you will be better off than them because of your studies.

Successful people are disciplined. To get to where they are, they temporarily postponed certain pleasures to create even more pleasure in the future. That future comes round quicker than you may think and those disciplined people who are able to keep their hands off the single marshmallow, are soon able to enjoy their two marshmallow reward.

Meanwhile, those that chose to simply grab the marshmallow as soon as it was offered, look in envy at the ‘lucky’ people with two marshmallows and become bitter about this (as an aside, they then probably vote for politicians that offer to steal marshmallows by force from people with 'too many' and redistribute them).

You need to have the clarity and focus to see this through without giving in to pressure. When you see friends and family buying new cars and clothes etc, will you be able to resist not joining in? Or do you have the depth of character to think single-mindedly about the long-term goal?

The majority of people have such little personal power, the only way they can cheer up their dreary lives is to spend money (usually borrowed money) on a load of consumer junk for comfort that will no doubt be found on the scrap-heap or a car-boot sale soon after. When I think about the thousands of pounds I wasted in this way I could cry......

You see, once you start to live a fulfilled and happy life doing the things you actually want to, you won’t need the comforting that buying loads of consumer junk gives you.

It is one of life’s little ironies that many of our trivial longings and so-called pleasures are substitutes for deeper longings.”

I am not the Author of this!!!, but it is very uplifting though, dont you think? :D :D :D

kebabman
18th Jul 2001, 16:52
Inspiring.

I was the one that ate the marshmallow.

village flyer
18th Jul 2001, 17:04
I'm the one still collecting the marshmallows......

VF

Polar_stereographic
18th Jul 2001, 17:13
I'm the one that ate half of one.

Quick, hit that send button before the nurse returns....

Vigilant Driver
18th Jul 2001, 18:13
Deep!

I know what he means. Here's me driving around in my v.old pug 205 whilst colleagues in the office are out buying new Mercs and BMWs.

Now I've got a job on a turbo prop and guess what, all the marsh mellow eaters in the office are jealous!

But, could I have a new head gasket for my 205 rather than a marsh mellow please!!

EGDR
18th Jul 2001, 18:36
Must eat marshmallow ! Give me the marshmallow !

Marshmallow, marshmallow, marshmal, marsh, mar, mmmm mmm mm m :eek:

Capt Wannabee
18th Jul 2001, 18:58
What happened to all the kids who ate their own and then stole one off someone else so they could still get another of the teacher??

Did they become members of the traffic police? Or perhaps finance Directors? :D

But you can do this cheaper and it will still work - laws of physics and reality be damned!! :rolleyes:

[ 18 July 2001: Message edited by: Capt Wannabee ]

MorningGlory
18th Jul 2001, 20:32
I thought the teacher was only going to be 15 minutes.....? .....still waiting!
:rolleyes:

KeithAlexander
18th Jul 2001, 20:56
I just bullied the other children into giving me their marshmallows! :) :) :) :) :)

Fools I tells ya! Fools! :rolleyes:

Blindside
18th Jul 2001, 21:48
I licked the marshmallow and left it for the next person.

Manflex55
18th Jul 2001, 21:52
Many years later, the children that had waited were compared to those that hadn’t and the results were dramatic. Those that had not waited were generally fat.

schooner
18th Jul 2001, 23:58
Manflex, top bloody post :D :D :D :D :D

cheers

HomerSimpson
19th Jul 2001, 07:23
Did somebody mention food? Ummmmmmmmm Fooooooooooooooood!! :D

foghorn
20th Jul 2001, 14:10
As a person who went through a year of distance learning the ATPL's and who is now doing the CPL flying followed by the IR, I can say that it is all worth it!!!

Can I have my marshmallow NOW, please :D

[ 20 July 2001: Message edited by: foghorn ]

HomerSimpson
20th Jul 2001, 14:16
I think all of us that go through the pain and torture of ATPL written exams, then the CPL course and the IR course deserve not 1 marshmellow but a truck load of them. Or maybe we should all invest in the company! :D

Whirlybird
20th Jul 2001, 14:54
But maybe some kids just weren't greedy, and were happy and satisfied with one marshmallow.

And suppose some tried to wait, and while waiting their marshmallow was stolen, or they died, or the teacher couldn't make it back after all.

Nothing is certain in life, and we all differ as to what we want and how much we want it. Is success to get what you want? Or maybe just not to want so much? Have we maybe absorbed our consumer societies' values too much? Was this story invented by Big Business, now rubbing its hands in glee at having created consumers out of fun loving four year olds?

Nothing is all that simple you see.

[ 20 July 2001: Message edited by: Whirlybird ]

Flandan
20th Jul 2001, 15:09
After reading this rather fine and inspiring post, I phoned my wife, who has put up with living with her in-laws, and me studying for the ATPL exams, for over a year now.

I told her joyfully: "It's ok dear. You'll soon have more marshmallows than you've ever imagined possible!"

This being a family site, I hesitate to post her reply. Suffice to say I'll likely be getting own brand marshmallows for tea tonight..

kabz
21st Jul 2001, 04:05
I knew there was a reason I am still driving a 10 year old MX-5, instead of a nice new one.

Bloody stupid, that's what.

BlipOnTheRadar
23rd Jul 2001, 02:16
How many marshmellows do I get? It's taken me 11 years to get my ppl!! I passed my skill test today. :p

Fly safely and enjoy yourselves

BOTR

[ 22 July 2001: Message edited by: BlipOnTheRadar ]

Maximum
24th Jul 2001, 20:03
I have to agree with Whirlybird. This is hardly inspiring - to me it sounds like the simplistic claptrap regurgitated ad nauseum by the self help brigade. Real life and real people are much more complex. Some people start out with more marshmallows than they can ever eat.....other people are quite happy with one... and some don't even get one in the first place.... :(

[ 24 July 2001: Message edited by: Maximum ]