PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Wail and accurate journalism?

BOAC
24th Jan 2013, 09:07
In this article (http://www.pprune.org/"http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267027/Crane-driver-captures-near-miss-Army-Chinook-camera-just-weeks-fatal-helicopter-crash.html), the Wail headlines "You could see the whites of his eyes", and then lower down again actually quotes the crane driver
"He said he could almost see the eyes of some pilots as they came so close to the crane above the River Thames.
All of which is in a shock horror story of a Chinook flying 'within a few feet' of a high-rise crane when it in fact looks as if it is following the river! (OK number of 'feet' not specified).

MOD replied:
"A spokesman for the MoD confirmed that the Chinook pictured is an army aircraft but added it posed no risk to cranes and was flying a perfectly safe and approved London air route.
He said: There are air lanes which run through central London which the RAF does use and will continue to use. There are no cranes allowed within in this space and aircraft using these routes pose no risk to crane drivers."

Let's hear it for "Ray Massey and Suzannah Hills", ace journalists:mad:

500N
24th Jan 2013, 09:17
I asked the question in Rotorheads if this was a beat up story
and the answer was yes, it gave the DM a chance to run the pics again.

I also thought that Chinook looked a bit far away :O

Worrals in the wilds
24th Jan 2013, 09:30
We have one too, but it's called the Courier Wail.
The Courier-Mail | Latest Brisbane and Queensland QLD news | CourierMail (http://www.couriermail.com.au/)
After they ran an allegedly serious 'science' article suggesting that humans and gorillas could mate and produce offspring, I tuned out. :zzz:

It's useful for local 'news' (e.g. upcoming road closures, weather events) and the occasional interesting political comment, but otherwise... TV Guide, horoscopes and a few good recipes. :bored:

Newspapers are a bit like local retail; gradually being supplanted by the internet, much to the chagrin of their owners and employees. Unfortunately both industries seem to address this falling interest by becoming crappier, so that even eighty year old great uncles start asking 'could you show me how to work this internet thing darling? I'd like to buy some clothes / read some articles that aren't crappy'.

The cycle continues, where the fewer people use them the crappier they get. Addressing that decline by producing a quality product people actually want to read or buy doesn't seem to be an option; they're not doing it, anyway.

The SSK
24th Jan 2013, 09:33
Let's hear it for "Ray Massey and Suzannah Hills", ace journalists

I have had numerous encounters in my time with Mr Massey, none of them pleasant. He seemed to think I owed him a living.

Torque Tonight
24th Jan 2013, 10:01
You can barely see the Chinook in those pictures let alone the whites of the pilot's eyes. More Daily Mail sensationalist drivel.

And, the Chinook is not an Army helicopter here in the UK.

FlyerFoto
24th Jan 2013, 10:02
I think you'll find that the vast majority of 'bad' journalism is, in fact, lazy journalism - an over-reliance on information already in the public domain, coupled with an overuse of clichés - "I could see the whites of their eyes" makes a better headline than "they were fairly close, but nothing to worry about."

Just look at the number of totally incorrect library pictures used, because nobody has any understanding of the subject - and not just in aviation reporting!

Add to this an audience more demanding of sensationalism that truth and you have a recipe for the kind of thing we are talking about.

I think the days of the true 'investigative' journalist have gone, to be replaced by headline writers.

Is the a reason why Fleet Street is known as the 'street of shame..?'

Cornish Jack
24th Jan 2013, 11:25
The Daily Wail and accurate journalism?
Not a question, it's an oxymoron:ugh:

ricardian
24th Jan 2013, 11:37
I wonder if any of these folk have taken this BA(Hons) online course in journalism? (http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/201/courses-7/undergraduate-courses-42/journalism-bahons-degree-online-4262.html)
Presumably it is followed by a PhD in hairdressing :hmm:

Mr Chips
24th Jan 2013, 11:46
So if the Daily Mal is such a bad newspaper - why do so many PPRuNers read it? Seriously, the Mail gets quoted on here almost daily...

Also, if they are quoting a crane driver, surely the crane driver is wrong, not the Journos?

treadigraph
24th Jan 2013, 12:01
And the original purpose of taking that picture?

How about: "Cor, this'll make a great shot to show the lads dahn the pub"...

Alas, the scent of money....

ExRAFRadar
24th Jan 2013, 12:05
Better off here

The Daily Mash | It's news to us (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/)

Lon More
24th Jan 2013, 12:09
The Daily Wail, read by those who still think that Thatcher is the best man for the job. Motto; all the news that fits.
It's a slow news day, amd heaven forbid they criticise Camerloon for http://www.xdsclan.com/images/smilies/SA/emot-a2m.gifing it up again so that gets dug out. I reckom the Wokka was about 1/2 a mile away.

OFSO
24th Jan 2013, 13:30
why Fleet Street is known as the 'street of shame..?'

I think it was the Daily Wail who last week on their website, illustrated the story of that lady in her twenties who came home drunk wearing no coat, fell in front of the door and froze to death - with a picture of the same woman aged nine wearing her school uniform. Now what pray was the purpose of publishing that picture other to excite the paedeophile readership ?

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Jan 2013, 14:34
I think you'll find that the vast majority of 'bad' journalism is, in fact, lazy journalism
A lot of it is, yes. But some is worse than that - where the facts don't actually make the story the journo wants, he makes it up (including making up quotes from people who weren't even spoken to).

AlpineSkier
24th Jan 2013, 14:40
I think some of the worst aspects actually come from the sub-editors who write the headlines/captions to the articles: this is probably a case in point as I believe that bit about "the whites of their eyes" was actually the caption.

I imagine that they want/are pushed to be sensational to capture attention and don't see it as misinformation/crap journalism

Krystal n chips
24th Jan 2013, 17:36
And the first nominee for the 2013 JB Oxymoron Thread Title of the year is...

BOAC...;)

One can only hope that his lapse in not including the words :

precedent / unlikely / deception / fiction masquerading as reality

in his subsequent post will be taken into consideration by the judges therefore...

Sunnyjohn
24th Jan 2013, 17:38
The one good thing about living in a democracy is that you don't have to buy or read the Daily Fail.

BOAC
24th Jan 2013, 18:21
Thank you K&C - I graciously accept the nomination and have my acceptance speech ready.

What an amazing paper, and what is even more amazing/depressing - people believe in it..