PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to Adobe.

Pelikal
23rd Jan 2013, 22:23
Hello all. I've been trying to connect to the Adobe.com site and I get the 'Problem loading page' message. I connect ok to all my regular sites. Could it just be it's busy? I wonder if anyone else has had difficulties. I'm using FF 18.0.1. Cheers.

Milo Minderbinder
24th Jan 2013, 06:26
if you mean Adobe (http://www.adobe.com) thats up and running , no problems

if you mean the free "adobe.com" online PDF creation service, that was closed around two years ago

Pelikal
24th Jan 2013, 07:44
Milo, definitely the main Adobe site, still won't connect. But you say you can so must be my end. Thanks.

Pelikal
24th Jan 2013, 15:32
No takers? Tried running FF in safe mode and that made no difference. FF 18.0.1, Windows 7, Home Premium. I want to download a trial Photoshop from Adobe and I can't even connect to the site.

Thanks.

green granite
24th Jan 2013, 16:11
Had no trouble connecting with FF18, have you tried this link direct to the download page?

Adobe - Download free trial version Adobe Photoshop CS6 | Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop&loc=en_us)

If that doesn't work try using: 193.104.215.61

Ancient Observer
24th Jan 2013, 17:09
Win 7/64 Home Prem., with FF 16.0.2.
No problem accessing either UK or USA Adobe site.

Pelikal
24th Jan 2013, 21:14
GG, same result with the link you gave. Maybe I'll boot up one of my older machines. Perhaps I've screwed up my adobe account. How would I use 'If that doesn't work try using: 193.104.215.6' ?

I know bugger all about internet when it doesn't work. Sorry to bother you. Thanks!

Milo Minderbinder
25th Jan 2013, 00:30
193.104.215.61 is resolving OK though slowly. Just type that number sequence into the address bar
There are times when the Adobe main site can be very slow - usually when a new version of Flash Player or Acrobat Reader has been released, though I'm not aware that either are the case now.

green granite
25th Jan 2013, 07:55
193.104.215.61 is resolving OK though slowly.

Interesting, it comes straight in for me.

Pelikal, just copy it and paste it to where you normally post the site address then hit enter.

Pelikal
25th Jan 2013, 10:00
Ok, GG and others, that worked using the address given. First time I tried it I copied the address wrongly. 6' and not 61! :ugh:. Straight through to Adobe anyhow. Now this is weird. I bookmarked the page, closed the tab, went back to my Bookmarks and selected the 'new' Adobe bookmark as a test and that worked. Tried the 'old' bookmark and that didn't work, however matter resolved even if there is a mystery, thanks!

edit: spoke too soon! Some of the links off home page don't work. I've forgotten my Adobe ID to enable the download, so tried to create a new one. Can't connect to Adobe. Hmmm....just had a thought. If I paste in the address number where I see Adobe perhaps that may work.

edit...edit Following a search about problems connecting to Adobe, I found this worked:

check 'hosts' file on computer. (open in notepad as administrator). Delete all lines containing 'Adobe' and save. Restart.

Mike-Bracknell
25th Jan 2013, 16:27
Ok, GG and others, that worked using the address given. First time I tried it I copied the address wrongly. 6' and not 61! :ugh:. Straight through to Adobe anyhow. Now this is weird. I bookmarked the page, closed the tab, went back to my Bookmarks and selected the 'new' Adobe bookmark as a test and that worked. Tried the 'old' bookmark and that didn't work, however matter resolved even if there is a mystery, thanks!

edit: spoke too soon! Some of the links off home page don't work. I've forgotten my Adobe ID to enable the download, so tried to create a new one. Can't connect to Adobe. Hmmm....just had a thought. If I paste in the address number where I see Adobe perhaps that may work.

edit...edit Following a search about problems connecting to Adobe, I found this worked:

check 'hosts' file on computer. (open in notepad as administrator). Delete all lines containing 'Adobe' and save. Restart.

Pelikal, barring anything untoward, and given your demonstrated computing knowledge, you should have *nothing* in your 'hosts' file at all. Utilising 'hosts' for name resolution is a support nightmare waiting to happen.

Pelikal
25th Jan 2013, 17:07
Mike B, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I don't even know what a hosts file is. It's just that having done a search, editing the host file and deleting refs. to Adobe should work. There was nothing else in the file other than an MS note about a sample entry or something.

I know, I was dabbling in something I know nothing about. However, I now have a new Adobe ID and have downloaded a PS CS6 trial. Thanks for your interest.

Mike-Bracknell
25th Jan 2013, 18:20
Mike B, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I don't even know what a hosts file is. It's just that having done a search, editing the host file and deleting refs. to Adobe should work. There was nothing else in the file other than an MS note about a sample entry or something.

I know, I was dabbling in something I know nothing about. However, I now have a new Adobe ID and have downloaded a PS CS6 trial. Thanks for your interest.

:ok:

Just trying to save you a few hours/days/weeks of heartache. People who edit the hosts file to add things generally forget about the entries there, then Adobe (or whoever) changes the IP address of the server, leading to you having ages troubleshooting why your website won't work. From your reply it sounded like you had that issue.

Milo Minderbinder
25th Jan 2013, 20:41
Pelikal

the HOSTS file is normally used to BLOCK rogue websites, not to connect to them. You can use it to bypass DNS resolution and "hard wire" in IP addresses, but as Mike has already said, thats just heading for a world of pain.
Now the worry is, if you didn't add the Adobe entries to the HOSTS file, who did? Does anyone else have access to the machine? Sounds a bit like someone trying to take the mickey....

Pelikal
25th Jan 2013, 21:20
Mike-Bracknell, thanks again, I think I may have a clue now. This machine is actually second hand and the owner was an avid photographer. Perhaps he had entered some Adobe details in the hosts file. I certainly haven't. So in fact those details were sort of linked to an address no longer in use?

Cheers.

MM, just noticed your posting and the above sort of answers your query as to who may have made the edit. Thanks!

green granite
26th Jan 2013, 06:43
Mike-Bracknell, thanks again, I think I may have a clue now. This machine is actually second hand and the owner was an avid photographer. Perhaps he had entered some Adobe details in the hosts file. I certainly haven't. So in fact those details were sort of linked to an address no longer in use?

That is possible, without wishing to cast aspersions, the way to get around registration problems with an illicit copy of photoshop is to do just that and since it then hears nothing back from Adobe it assumes all is ok.

Pelikal
26th Jan 2013, 08:27
GG, I suppose it is possible the guy did something as you suggest.

I may try and find out because not being able to connect to Adobe threw me for a while. I didn't think to make a copy of the file(s). The only PS on the machine is my old copy of Elements and the CS6 trial. Thanks.