PDA

View Full Version : LOcating IP address

swashplate
18th Apr 2002, 10:51
Hi All!

My laptoposaurus had the McAfee virus checker on board. It was 28 months put of date :rolleyes: so I decided to update it - it loaded the files, installed, rebooted and the system went haywire!!:eek:

So I eventually managed to boot windoze into 'safe'mode, and deleted the Mcafee.

But that left me without a virus checker.... :eek:

A quick search on google led me to the Zone alarm program. Decided to give it a go, downloaded, installed - seems to be excellent!! :cool:

Looks like 3 peeps tried to hack into my computer last night :eek: - I have the IP addresses, but is there any way of tracking them? Finding out who these peeps are, where they come from etc?

Sorry if this has been done nefore, but cant seem to find anything!

FL310
18th Apr 2002, 11:17
you may be lucky with www.whois.net/

there is also a nice program called VisualTracer (vr40c.exe) which gives you a graphic display of where the IP address is located.

GeneralElectric
18th Apr 2002, 11:20
Yep, here you go:

http://www.amnesi.com/hostinfo/ipinfo.jhtml

You need to do a reverse lookup.

Don't get too freaked out, possible you've just been included in a range of addresses for some little kid's port scanner! :rolleyes: :mad:

Cheers

swashplate
18th Apr 2002, 11:36
Mostly seem to be BT Internet, but suppose you can never be too sure!!

BOAC
18th Apr 2002, 13:16
SWash - unless you are really unlucky, most of the 'probes' will be from your ISP to see if you are still 'on-line'. You are not with BT Internet, by any chance........................?

EGCC Rwy 24
18th Apr 2002, 17:36
Careful Swash - virus checker and firewall are not the same thing - but you knew that didn't you.........

swashplate
18th Apr 2002, 17:36
Yeah, been with BT Anytime since Aug last year when I first got my own Computer. No probs so far, can get on 99% of time.

Should I allow BT to do this then? Apparently, I can configure ZoneAlert to do this.

FL310
18th Apr 2002, 18:06
Don't allow anyone to do anything unless you are sure that a program needs this procedure, as simple as that, otherwise you don't need a firewall.