PDA

View Full Version : Baleful Beyonce

OFSO
23rd Jan 2013, 13:17
At the risk of offending music lovers everywhere (or perhaps not), might I ask whether anyone else thinks Beyonce sings slightly out of tune ?

In making this statement, my own credentials as a musician are - over a period of years - having played in one rock band, one jazz band, one folk band, and two sympathy orchestras, and having stood on stage approximately five feet - slightly behind and to the right - from Keith Moon while the band played "Substitute". And survived.

I even found her pre-recorded wail, sorry, rendition, for the inaugeration a few cycles out of whack on high notes.

Mike744
23rd Jan 2013, 13:51
I even found her pre-recorded wail, sorry, rendition, for the inaugeration a few cycles out of whack on high notes.

That Hertz! :E btw I agree

rgbrock1
23rd Jan 2013, 13:54
I find nothing to like about the singing of Beyonce'. Nothing at all.

If they wanted a female, African-American singer for the inauguration I would have chosen Alicia Keys. Now there's a woman with a pair of..... lungs.

http://thelavalizard.com/?attachment_id=18858

Lonewolf_50
23rd Jan 2013, 13:56
I like Beyonce's lungs (http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&hl=en&safe=strict&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=676&tbm=isch&tbnid=c2yCi_ahhqCA5M:&imgrefurl=http://www.fansshare.com/gallery/photos/404656/Beyonce-Knowles-Hot/&docid=j5Uzy653BiwVBM&imgurl=http://fansshare.com/photos/beyonce/beyonce-knowles-hot-1440694550.jpg&w=800&h=1115&ei=Vfr_UJigJ-7U0gHWq4CABg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=308&vpy=95&dur=5068&hovh=265&hovw=190&tx=81&ty=288&sig=102728568462035766626&page=2&tbnh=147&tbnw=106&start=26&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:42,s:0,i:217)just fine. :ok: (Heck, she's pretty all over).

The pitch of her voice isn't my fave, but she can in fact sing.

I hear she earns a living at it. :cool:

With auto tune tech, who the heck needs lip synching anymore? :confused:

EDIT, to comment in RedHill:
My daughter teaches voice, and she agrees with your wife on the tendency of pop musicians to sing flat.

RedhillPhil
23rd Jan 2013, 13:57
Mrs. RedhillPhil had a classical singing career of some thirty years. She now teaches at a major London music college. She is blessed with perfect pitch and assures me that most "pop" singers tend to sing flat. Autotune has been the saviour of most pop singers careers.
I understand that Beyonce actually mimed at the presidential thing. Of course it's not miming now, it's "lip synching". Makes it sound like a proper technique rather than the cheating that it actually is.
She hasn't actually got it in for pop singers. She tends to concentrate her pupils on the language and will frequently cite Rod Stewart as a man to listen to as you can hear every word that he sings whereas at the other end of the scale (as it were) even when singing in English it was impossible to hear a word of what Joan Sutherland was singing. Live performances for singers of all types and genres is what sorts out the wheat from the chaff.

rgbrock1
23rd Jan 2013, 14:01
Nice picture of Beyonce's lungs, Lonewolf.

Lonewolf_50
23rd Jan 2013, 14:07
rg, there are pics aplenty of that pretty young lady all over the internet.

I recall a few years ago an advertisement she did, I think it was for a credit card, that had her dressed up in some skimpy golden chainmail looking mini dress, and she moved with eye catching verve. :ok:

Had to check my pulse, I did.

That gal could launch a thousand ships ... or at least get a thousand bowsprits to regain full service. :cool:

rgbrock1
23rd Jan 2013, 14:12
Yes, Lonewolf, I was just checking out several pictures of the luscious one. My, my.

vulcanised
23rd Jan 2013, 14:16
If you want really talented out of tune.............

alWBCVHGPnY

rotornut
23rd Jan 2013, 14:43
I think I prefer Beyonce's version over this one:{
National Anthem - Worst EVER! - YouTube

rgbrock1
23rd Jan 2013, 14:50
And I prefer this version over all of the above:

y5yQGulx7Ec

Tankertrashnav
23rd Jan 2013, 15:51
So that's the one you referred to over on Hamsterwheel, Brock. Definitely beats the efforts of a number of female singers I've heard over the years, of whatever colour.

I note that the Wiki entry for your anthem notes that as the tune has a one and a half octave range it can be a tricky one to perform by the untrained voice - a bit like our 'Jerusalem' which has the average singer straining for the top notes.

rgbrock1
23rd Jan 2013, 15:55
Tanker:

Yup, that's the one I mentioned in the Wheel.

Jerusalem? I think Greg Lake, of Emerson, Lake and Palmer, did quite a nice job with Jerusalem when he sang it, no?

OFSO
23rd Jan 2013, 16:49
Alicia Keys, yes, Good voice, good pianist, good composer. And startlingly pretty, too.

or...

Aretha ?

Lonewolf_50
23rd Jan 2013, 16:51
Alicia.

Aretha has had her day in the sun.

I just learned that Al Green had been asked to perform, but his schedule did not permit. Too bad, that gent can surely sing.

Tableview
23rd Jan 2013, 16:53
I'm not sure how anyone could use the name 'Beyonce' in the same sentence as 'music'. She looks like a cheap version of Shakira, in fact that's who I thought it was when I saw her on TV this morning until I heard the noise accompanying the spectacle.

rgbrock1
23rd Jan 2013, 16:54
Besides. Shakira has bigger tits.

http://bbhf.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/shakira-workout-hips.jpg

OFSO
23rd Jan 2013, 17:41
Shakira has bigger tits

More importantly she is the consort of a member of the world's best football team and mother of his child (since yesterday).

Union Jack
23rd Jan 2013, 17:47
So who was miming - Beyoncé , Mr Obama - or both of them?:)

Jack

Lonewolf_50
23rd Jan 2013, 17:53
She is also a beauty, but let's be honest: both are well out of my league. :cool:

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Jan 2013, 17:53
I call your Beyond say and raise you......

Florence Foster Jenkins

Worst Singer Ever - YouTube

:ooh:

SHJ

Lon More
23rd Jan 2013, 18:06
I always thought Ethel Merman was the worst. Maybe the worst thing is that Rayguns seems to be enjoying it.

Ethel Merman sings for Ronald Reagan - YouTube

Best not to mention Tiny Tim Tiptoeing through the Tulips though
http://juliasmexicocity.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ecdaa8a88330133f04c8603970b-500wi

radarman
23rd Jan 2013, 19:15
Beyonce's jugs may be awe-inspiring, her voice questionable, but I remember reading something from one of her stage crew about her needing a bit of education in the body freshness department. Didn't say which part of her body needed the Lifebuoy treatment. :E

Lonewolf_50
23rd Jan 2013, 19:37
radarman, please don't ruin it all for me. :{

rgbrock1
23rd Jan 2013, 19:44
Don't cry Lonewolf and don't despair.

Here's something to make you feel better:

http://aka.media.entertainment.sky.com/image/560x835/2012/11/15/Beyonce-1112-2.jpg

Lonewolf_50
23rd Jan 2013, 19:50
Thank you, rg, that was most considerate of you. :cool:

Miserlou
23rd Jan 2013, 20:09
And while we're about it, what about Adele?
I don't understand why the title tune to the new Bond film is Skyfaw.

What is Skyfaw? What does it mean? What has it to do with the film SkyfaLL?
You know the film. SkyFALL With two Ls at the end!!!

pigboat
23rd Jan 2013, 22:45
rg that pic of a sailboat is the only one I ever saw that made me want to play motorboat.

I Obama wanted a black lady that could sing he should have called this one.

c5RTxtzAbLk

Milo Minderbinder
23rd Jan 2013, 22:58
I didn't realise "Beyonce" was a singer. The word "singer" surely implies some element of skill and art?

Milo Minderbinder
23rd Jan 2013, 23:10
and by the way, here's some traditional american music played properly

The Nice - America (Live on British TV "How It Is" 1968) - YouTube

DX Wombat
23rd Jan 2013, 23:16
I apologise in advance for the sheer awfulness of the following.

Spice Girls- If You Wanna Be My Lover (Lyrics On the Side) - YouTube

Davaar
23rd Jan 2013, 23:23
rotornut:

Awful!

rab-k
24th Jan 2013, 00:15
Awe come on rgbrock1, she ain't got nuthin, nuthin but one safety pin holding that thing on.

Go on safety pin.....pop! :E

Temp Spike
24th Jan 2013, 03:52
Crikey the girl has got some kind of eyebrows...

Loose rivets
24th Jan 2013, 04:46
B-ouncy would be better.

As for the Magic Flute. She's got nowt on me - and that's with comb and tissue paper.

RedhillPhil
24th Jan 2013, 16:17
Okay enough of these singers. here's a real treat for you, the finest Soprano who ever lived. Universally liked and admired by her peers (and there's not many that can boast that).
Gentlemen I give you the incomparable and beautiful Lucia Popp.

Lucia Popp: Laudate Dominum (Mozart) - YouTube

rgbrock1
24th Jan 2013, 16:20
Temp Spike wrote:

Crikey the girl has got some kind of eyebrows...

I hadn't noticed. Can't imagine why not. :}

OFSO
24th Jan 2013, 18:08
Lucia Popp: deceased and Kurt Moll: retired. Hardly worth going to the opera nowadays.

Temp Spike
24th Jan 2013, 18:15
She is one fine broadcast agent rgb!

rgbrock1
24th Jan 2013, 18:35
Yes, Temp Spike, she is. She broadcasts on two channels only.
The left one, and the right one!!!!!

<which brings new meaning to the boob tube, eh?>

Temp Spike
24th Jan 2013, 18:38
Got kind of a big back course ILS as well, but I see she's been working on it. Good Girl!

ZOOKER
25th Jan 2013, 00:02
None of these women can sing. Their auto tuned squawking is thrust upon us merely to bring their jugs to the publics 'attention. The jugs being far more marketable than the din eminating from the recorded squawk-box.
Here are some female musicians who ARE worth listening to........

Joni Mitchell,
Laura Nyro,
Melody Gardot,
Karen Carpenter.
Carol King,
Sandy Denny,
Jaqui McShee,
Maddy Prior,
Maggie Bell.
Maggie Reilly,
Dusty in Memphis. NO, Dusty anywhere.
Ricky Lee Jones,
Judy Tzuke,
Suzi Quatro,
Aretha, Ann Peebles, the Motown gang, et al.
Beverley Skeete.
Cilla, Lulu, Sandi, Dionne,
Ann and Nancy Wilson
Fanny and Birtha,
Dyan Birch,
Rumer
Shirley, for Diamonds Are Forever.

OFSO
25th Jan 2013, 12:25
Toni Braxton ?

I can only think of "Unchain my heart" but her singing it gives me goosebumps. (Not to mention what that white dress with the cut-out does to me elsewhere).

Tableview
26th Jan 2013, 08:46
None of these women can sing. Their auto tuned squawking is thrust upon us merely to bring their jugs to the publics 'attention. The jugs being far more marketable than the din eminating from the recorded squawk-box.

They don't sing, they shout into a microphone.

Singers, well, from the list above :

Joni Mitchell,
Karen Carpenter.
Carol King,
Maddy Prior,
Dionne,
Shirley, for Diamonds Are Forever.

I would add :
Katie Melua
Loreena McKennit
Maire Brennan
Enya
Randy Crawford
Eva Cassidy
Vicky Leandros
Sarah Brightman
Toni Childs
Shania Twain
Sinead O'Connor
Judy Collins
Joan Baez

ZOOKER
26th Jan 2013, 22:45
OFSO and Tableview,
thanks to both of you. When I typed the list above, I was in the middle of Keef Hartleys' 'Halfbreed' album, so it's not extensive. Many more fine lady vocalists are out there.
Male vocalists have also been singing in an an off-key, flat vocal style too over the last few years. Some of my friends like Coldplay, James Blunt and Rufus Wainwright, but to someone raised on Richard Sinclair, Ian Anderson, Jon Anderson, Van, Plant Lake and Gillan etc, it just sounds all wrong.

probes
1st Feb 2013, 08:49
- and she didn't even actually sing. http://mail.yimg.com/ok/u/assets/img/emoticons/emo10.gif

BBC News - Beyonce admits inauguration miming (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21290682)

KBPsen
1st Feb 2013, 09:07
- and she didn't even actually sing. Of course she did. This is the actual recording.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI1kq6CA_38

Embedding Youtube sucks as much as the search function.

MagnusP
1st Feb 2013, 10:58
Can I add the late Judee Sill to the list, please? I think there's also room for Shawn Colvin.

Wingswinger
1st Feb 2013, 12:43
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Adele. Raw emotion. Just don't ask her to speak, or if you do, have a beeper handy.

gruntie
1st Feb 2013, 14:20
What really gets my goat is the fact that her name should be pronounced with a hard "S" at the end and not "ay", as it's continually written as "Beyonce" and not "Beyoncé".
It's like "Linked In" which appears as "Linkedln". LINKEDLN? What on earth's that? It really gets on my t1ts, and some prat was probably paid millions for thinking of it.

Tableview
1st Feb 2013, 14:26
I thought 'Beyonce' rhymed with 'ponce'. That's how I pronounced until I heard her name on the news.

Slasher
1st Feb 2013, 14:40
I thought LinkedIn is pronounced like Gunga Din isn't it?

And yep I certainly agree Enya should be added to the list.
And I might suggest Susan Boyle too if you're talking pure
talent and not marketable looks.