PDA

View Full Version : New meningitis B vaccine

ariel
22nd Jan 2013, 20:38
Think this is fantastic news. Meningitis B is one of the most, (if not THE most), malevolent and truely awful diseases known to man. It kills and maims hundreds, (mainly kids), of the population yearly.

Having known 2 people who have survived this disease, (one with devastating consequences), it is wonderful that there is finally something to prevent it.

It must now be made available to all.

Rather be Gardening
22nd Jan 2013, 20:49
It is good news. Meningitis B killed my neighbours' lovely daughter this time last year.

DX Wombat
22nd Jan 2013, 21:48
There is a serious misconception here. HIB vaccine has been part of the routine vaccination programme for babies in the UK for at least ten years. This vaccine is an improved version.

Temp Spike
22nd Jan 2013, 22:15
You see people dropping dead like flies in Africa from Hep B. friggen horrible that.

DX Wombat
22nd Jan 2013, 23:08
There are some really nasty diseases about and HepB is one of them; fortunately there is also an effective vaccine for that.

Temp Spike
23rd Jan 2013, 01:00
Yes well, cost is a big problem in Africa. many Cheap vaccines are very often unobtainable. Even the 10 cent polio vaccine. Heartbreaking.

Farrell
23rd Jan 2013, 06:15
Very good news. But a bittersweet event for some.

On January 19th 1992, bacterial meningitis killed my brother, Colm. He was 13.
From his initial headache, the appearance of the rash and his subsequent death took a little less than 4 hours.
It is silent, it is quick and above all, too often, the signs come all too late.

My only consolation is that the doctors assured us his suffering was minimal due to the rapid onset of brain damage in his final hours.

This vaccine has come 20 years too late for us. But the lives it will save now, is a wonderful thing indeed.

I will raise a glass tonight to the unsung heroes of the research world who are responsible for improvements in vaccines like this.

DX Wombat
23rd Jan 2013, 10:13
Farrell that is so sad. There must be so many people in your position thinking "If only...". Our family was very fortunate, my sister in law developed mild flu like symptoms, her GP was a little suspicious because of a weakly positive Kernig's sign so dispatched her to hospital where there was much muttering about GPs who didn't know what they were doing, until, that is, the CSF and blood test results came back. We were so fortunate in that GP. On the other side of the coin there have been many occasions when I have sat with a baby or the parents of a baby who has died, or is dying from meningits. It is a very sad experience and you feel so helpless when the little one fails to respond to treatment (or has arrived too late for it to be effective.) There are many different causal organisms for meningits but HIB is a very common one and the improved vaccine is a real blessing.

ariel
23rd Jan 2013, 18:57
DXWombat

Agreed- the HIB has been available for years, but the meningitis strain it protects against is meningitis C.

The 'B' strain is the more deadly one, which, up until now, there was no defence against. The only chance for survival was early diagnosis, and even then, it left so many disabled if it didn't kill them.

I for one applaud research scientists, and I hope that this hateful disease will finally be beaten. At the moment it's looking good, with the vaccine offering 80 - 90% protection for babies & young kids, and 100% ptotection for teenagers.

gingernut
23rd Jan 2013, 20:40
By the time vaccine's come in to the public domain, they're usually well proved.

It's one of the few thing's that we do that make a real difference. Men B is awful, and from the last count, kills about 200 kids a year. Bloody awful.

The hep B vaccine debate is quite interesting- a vaccine that prevents cancer-I should write for the papers !!

DX Wombat
23rd Jan 2013, 20:41
Thanks Ariel. :)
Edited because Ginge was obviously posting whilst I was composing. :)
Do you think that claim is being made because so many who catch HepB go on to develop liver cancer and therefore those immunised have a reduced risk so give the statistical impression that the vaccine prevents it?