PDA

View Full Version : What could Aussie Airlines learn? Some do, Some don't!

Jabawocky
22nd Jan 2013, 11:43
Southwest's Herb Kelleher: Still crazy after all these years - Fortune Management (http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2013/01/14/kelleher-southwest-airlines/)

PLovett
22nd Jan 2013, 22:29
Braniff ceased operations on the afternoon of May 12, 1982. At eight o'clock the next morning there were two or three new carriers serving [Dallas Fort Worth] airport.

Can you imagine something similar happening in Australia? Like hell. It would be months, if not years, before CASA had finished processing all the paperwork, audited the updated manuals and issued any required approvals. :=

And despite their problems we still wonder why the US seems to be able to generate a powerhouse economy. :cool:

unseen
22nd Jan 2013, 22:58
[quote]
And despite their problems we still wonder why the US seems to be able to generate a powerhouse economy. :cool:

Nice Nice one!

I wish our economy was in the same state as the US one.....

rudderless1
22nd Jan 2013, 23:08
A former lawyer who famously created the business model for Southwest on the back of a (cocktail) napkin, Kelleher is one of those rare birds: an entrepreneur who managed to create a successful startup, then stuck around to build it into a huge corporation and a perennial on this magazine’s Most Admired Companies list. Fortune’s Jennifer Reingold sat down with him in his office at Southwest’s Dallas headquarters to get his take on airline consolidation, the book he’s writing, treating employees right, and basically anything else he felt like discussing.

Q: You’ve always talked about how important committed employees are to the success of a company. How did you make that work at Southwest?

A: Well, the people did it. I just stayed out of their way.

And what happens in bad times? You have still never had a furlough or layoff at Southwest, correct?

Yeah. Oh, yeah. We’ve never had a furlough. We could have made more money if we’d furloughed people during numerous events over the last 40 years, but we never have. We didn’t think it was the right thing to do. And you know, one of the disciplines is not furloughing. I didn’t realize this at first, by the way, so it came as somewhat of an insight to me. You know, suddenly a little synapse clicked, and I said, “You know, not furloughing is really a great discipline with respect to hiring.”:ok:

All Qf needed was real mgt.

tail wheel
23rd Jan 2013, 00:01

Thank God it is NOT! :eek:

The US national debt is now $52,335.67 for every man, woman and child in the USA.

There is a serious risk the US may never climb out of it's current 16.5 Trillion Dollar black hole deficit!

unseen
23rd Jan 2013, 00:07

Thank God it is NOT! :eek:

The US national debt is now $52,335.67 for every man, woman and child in the USA.

There is a serious risk the US may never climb out of it's current 16.5 Trillion Dollar black hole deficit!

My point exactly.

There have been several posts lately on PPRuNe talking about how we should follow the lead of the supposed great US economy!

Makes me laugh and cry at the same time!

I have never been very good with those emoticon thingys!!!

Roller Merlin
23rd Jan 2013, 03:32
Some people will say, "Well, this is not a strategy," because they like the word "strategy." You know, it sounds important, like the Strategic Air Command. And I'd say, "Well, here's how I differentiate." I think it was Tolstoy, if I remember correctly, who said, "How does Napoleon march onto a balcony in France and get a whole bunch of French troops to march into Russia to their death?" And I said, "Well, the strategy involved was his imperial ambitions, right? But what made the troops march? The culture." And I said, "It's the troops marching that defines the culture."

http://fortuneaskannie.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/herb_kelleher_motorcycle.jpg?w=240&h=237
Caption: Kelleher astride a Harley bought for him by Southwest pilots

Clearly a man who proves that leadership can trump meer management when the people trust and follow. How can we get him out to the demoralized troops of Oz?

Shark Patrol
23rd Jan 2013, 03:37
How can we get him out to the demoralized troops of Oz?

No need. After the two-day gabfest between Price Waterhouse Coopers and the anointed ones, disengagement amongst QF pilots will be a thing of the past!!!

airspace alpha
23rd Jan 2013, 05:53
FWIW I flew Southwest for the first time last year on the way to Oshkosh. Comfortable aircraft, free (salty and too damn sweet) snacks, cheapish booze on board, low end of market fares and free baggage. And for the most part great staff especially the FA’s who were a hoot. Having said that they hit us with a 6 hour delay out of Midway and that was not great but at least the FA’s on the flight really made up for it in positive attitude. Unique and quite logical boarding process as well.
I’d place them above Jetstar but below Virgin in our terms but a hell of a good way to get around the US and waaaay better than United. Kelleher certainly started the LCC juggernaut but his original baby is still a good one.(*)

(*) but in the 80’s I had the unique opportunity to fly People Express and THAT was a great LCC.

LeadSled
23rd Jan 2013, 06:52
Folks,
The only people following Qantas management ( or CASA, for that matter) are following out of curiosity.
Tootle pip!!

moa999
23rd Jan 2013, 08:02
All Qf needed was real mgt.
Hard to compare QF and Southwest.

QF is the same as Braniff, United, Continental, American, Delta....
Now only one of them hasn't gone bankrupt or been insolvent.

Southwest is like Virgin Blue.
With a young fleet, young staff and without being saddled by massive pension liabilities or high cost bases, a monkey could have made it grow and make money.
Not at all calling Kelleher a monkey, maybe at the other place.

Jack Ranga
23rd Jan 2013, 08:34
Yeah, a monkey could grow VA & make money! Good one bro :D

LeadSled
23rd Jan 2013, 12:44
Folks,
There are two kinds of organisations, those that treat their staff as assets, and those that treat staff as a liability.
Herb always believed in the former.
You can work the rest out.
Tootle pip!!