PDA

View Full Version : Halal McDonalds, gotta love those lawyers

bugg smasher
21st Jan 2013, 22:29
Here's the Big Mac folks, not enough we get shafted by our own, now the Foreign Legion is in on it as well;

McDonald's settles Mich. suit over Islamic diet - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/mcdonalds-settles-mich-suit-over-islamic-diet-210759055.html)

Cacophonix
21st Jan 2013, 22:33
Those Mecca city madmen can eat their fair share of that 'meat' if they want to. No sane human being eats that stuff and thinks it fit for a person of any denomination!

Caco

DX Wombat
21st Jan 2013, 23:12
The case was about deception. The plaintiffs did not receive what they had paid for. The fact that it involves Halal meat is purely coincidental, it might just as easily have been about Kosher food products.

Cacophonix
21st Jan 2013, 23:16
The case was about deception. The plaintiffs did not receive what they had paid for. The fact that it involves Halal meat is purely coincidental, it might just as easily have been about Kosher food products.

DX, heaven forfend that the calm calculus of your reason would stop us from an outbreak rabid Islam phobia! :ok:

Caco

Hydromet
22nd Jan 2013, 00:26
Simply truth in advertising (http://www.smh.com.au/national/subway-caught-short-on-footlong-20130120-2d1bh.html).
Of course, when I say to Subway "Here's your $7.50" it's not meant to be a true description of how much I'm really paying.

A A Gruntpuddock
22nd Jan 2013, 01:19
"He said the final hearing will ultimately determine who gets what and how much, but roughly $275,000 is expected to go to the Huda Clinic, about $150,000 to the museum, $230,000 to attorneys and $20,000 to Ahmed."

An equitable division?????

con-pilot
22nd Jan 2013, 02:20
For the attorneys, I think they believe it is. :p

CityofFlight
22nd Jan 2013, 02:31
For the attorneys, their cut is all the math that matters. :p

Worrals in the wilds
22nd Jan 2013, 03:13
Didn't Maccas get sued in the US by a Hindu a few years back because although they cooked their chips in beef fat, they told him they didn't contain any cow product?

421dog
22nd Jan 2013, 03:40
Aside from the name, Kosher and Halal seem awfully similar.

(not that that makes it OK to put a McRib in the same fryer as the chicken in question)

Metro man
22nd Jan 2013, 05:04
Wasn't there also an airline which was sued for serving meat to a vegetarian ?

B Fraser
22nd Jan 2013, 07:38
The definition of madness is when you not only believe there is a big man in the sky watching everything you do, but he tells you what you can and can't eat. Fancy a bacon sandwich ?

"And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you." (Leviticus 11:7)
Never mind, how about scallops in their shells with sage and garlic butter served on a bed of lentils ?

"And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you . . . ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcasses in abomination." (Leviticus 11:10-11)

No clam chowder either I guess, how about some jugged hare ?

"And the coney, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. And the hare . . . he is unclean unto you." (Leviticus 11:5-6)

Ok, rabbits don't chew the cud but they do eat everything twice if you get my drift. If however you are faced with a plague of locusts then it's an all you can eat buffet

"Even these of them ye may eat; the locust after his kind, and the bald locust after his kind, and the beetle after his kind, and the grasshopper after his kind." (Leviticus 11:22) "And the same John [the Baptist] had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey." (Matthew 3:4)

Wild honey is very tasty but I'll skip the bugs and get tucked into some wild venison. I hope I don't get struck by lightning because a deer has the wrong kind of feet and chews everything twice.

:ugh:

Espada III
22nd Jan 2013, 08:21
Don't mock! Muslims and Jews have not eaten horse without realising it, because our dietary laws mean that all our meat products are supervised from the point of death to the point of purchase by the consumer.

If Tesco etc had proper supervision based upon a fear of the Almighty rather than fear of prosecution, there would be fewer food scandals.

Captivep
22nd Jan 2013, 08:28
Don't you mean proper supervision based upon superstitious nonsense?

Espada III
22nd Jan 2013, 08:33
You might be right - but at least I know what I am eating.

Flypro
22nd Jan 2013, 09:36
You certainly do Espada.

There's some lovely (!) footage of sheep exported from Australia to places sandy. Enjoy.

MagnusP
22nd Jan 2013, 13:15
How about halal meat being served in UK schools and hospitals without the consumers being told what they'd had? :=

B Fraser
22nd Jan 2013, 14:50
Agreed, I want my meat to have been despatched in as humane a way as possible. I know that the systems isn't 100% perfect in every case but it is a far more civilised way than a knife to the throat after a few magic words.

G-CPTN
22nd Jan 2013, 14:59
xU95lLNAnbo

Firestorm
22nd Jan 2013, 15:08
Which is more scandalous? Eating a bit of horse, or that many tonnes of food was destroyed, and wasted?

Whenever I have asked in a McD's if the meat is Halal the staff grunt, shrug their shoulders, and obviously haven't a clue of what I'm talking about.

DX Wombat
22nd Jan 2013, 15:15
I agree Firestorm. Horsemeat is edible, not that I have ever knowingly eaten any nor do I wish to, but all that wasted food could have been given to shelters for the homeless or even left for sale with a notice to the effect that there was a slight possibility that it contained horsemeat.

G-CPTN
22nd Jan 2013, 15:45
If there is uncertainty about the ingredients based on the inclusion of an unauthorised ingredient, what else might they contain?

It's illogical to argue that they were safe for human consumption, even by disadvantaged folk.

ORAC
22nd Jan 2013, 16:01
I hope you've got a full list Espada. Including tuna, fruit juice, cigarettes, soap, concrete.......

CwBsYij96e4

reynoldsno1
22nd Jan 2013, 21:50
Whenever I have asked in a McD's if the meat is Halal the staff grunt

It would be interesting to breed a new strain of pig and name it err... how about "Halal" ? :uhoh:

Lonewolf_50
22nd Jan 2013, 22:39
ORAC, that was a fine link, I'll share it with my kids.

G-CPTN: as I understand meat and slaughter, the more relaxed and comfortable an animal is, the less adrenaline is in the tissue and the better the meat. (If that's a myth, apologies).

Is that true for horses as well as cows?

bugg smasher
23rd Jan 2013, 00:17
There has got to be a New Zealand sheep joke in here somewhere :hmm:

Victor Inox
2nd Feb 2013, 06:29
'Traces of pork' found in prison food served as halal | Business | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/feb/01/traces-pork-prison-food-halal)

stuckgear
2nd Feb 2013, 08:24
Those Mecca city madmen can eat their fair share of that 'meat' if they want to. No sane human being eats that stuff and thinks it fit for a person of any denomination!

Ever read 'Fast Food Nation' Caco?

wings folded
2nd Feb 2013, 11:25
as I understand meat and slaughter, the more relaxed and comfortable an animal is, the less adrenaline is in the tissue and the better the meat.

I have had it explained to me that the reason cats play with and tease mice before knoshing them is that the adrenaline tenderises the meat. I have no idea if that is so, but it does not sound too daft.

Davaar
2nd Feb 2013, 15:29
The case was about deception

DX, do you know that a late-model automobile here carries the licence plate "Wombat 1"? OK by you?

radeng
2nd Feb 2013, 15:44
I had a meal which was horsemeat, although I didn't know it at the time. It was on a school trip to Paris in 1960. The meat was stewed in red wine with bay leaves, and was, as I remember, slightly sweeter than beef. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat horse, though.

G-CPTN
2nd Feb 2013, 16:07
I've got a couple of burgers from the Coop - it doesn't say whether they include horsemeat.

Someone complained about the waste of scrapping all those burgers - couldn't they just have applied stickers "May contain horsemeat" ?

vulcanised
2nd Feb 2013, 17:07
That is an outrageous suggestion G-CPTN !

The Co-op wouldn't allow horsemeat into their products.

Donkey maybe.

G-CPTN
2nd Feb 2013, 17:34
The origin of the horsemeat might be challenged as, apparently, the abattoirs in Poland don't hold licences for horses.

CEJM
2nd Feb 2013, 17:59
Lonewolf 50, you are right with reagrds to the less stress the animal is under the better the meat tastes.

The abattoirs where i have been they sprayed the animals with a fine mist of water as soon as they came of the truck. This calms them down and helps them to relax. They then got killed with a bolt of electricity. all very humane and a very very quick, the animals didn't make a single noise.

Back on topic.

Not a great fan of Halal meat as I can't see the 'almighty' agreeing to let any animal suffer. But hey, I also can't see the point of religion so i might be biased.

However in this case, I think that the muslims are right. If you don't supply halal meat then don't advertise it!

Brian Abraham
2nd Feb 2013, 23:55
Australia does a fine trade in horsemeat. Widely consumed.

Horse meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_meat)

G-CPTN
4th Feb 2013, 22:16
Rangeland Foods has stopped production after tests found 75% horse DNA in an ingredient imported from Poland.
From (and more at):- BBC News - 'Horsemeat' found in Polish beef at Irish burger plant (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21331208)