PDA

View Full Version : Simple Webpage software

brockenspectre
18th Apr 2002, 06:22
I am on AOL and for the past few years have been using AOLPress. which was an AOL recommended webpage software, to maintain a website of pics of the Shiba Inu dog breed (http://members.aol.com/shibapix) for an internet List.

Recently I have been unable to connect to AOL servers when I try to save changes and AOL's tech support, while acknowledging that there may be server problems, has also said that I should consider using a new webpage software as AOLPress was discontinued a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, tech support is not allowed to make recommendations for a simple alternative. I am mildly techy but not hugely so.

What would anyone recommend please?

:D

BOAC
18th Apr 2002, 07:23
Cannot help you there, bs, I use AceFTP which is freeware and fine, but I started using my AOL web space yesterday and found I could FTP into someone else's (football) site!

brockenspectre
18th Apr 2002, 11:55
BOAC thanks for your reply!

I am at work now and the Creative Media department are recommending software called Macromedia Dreamworker .. looks impressive but probably far too advanced for me as well as being expensive .. :D

I am going to keep sounding folks out in the hope that someone can advise me on what should work!

BOAC
18th Apr 2002, 13:09
Several freeware/magazine CD programmes around, BS that will cost you ZERO!

AceFTP for the FTP bit (easy to set-up) and I use Notepad mostly for straight-forward pages but Dreamweaver is available free on CD and not too difficult. A very nice-looking and straightforward HTML programme (again free!) is Max's HTML Beauty.

If you need urls etc let me know.

brockenspectre
18th Apr 2002, 20:08
BOAC Dreamweaver is free? is that for a trial period? how do I get hold of it? I had a look at one of the IT computers at work that uses it and it looks brilliant!

:D

BOAC
18th Apr 2002, 20:17
DW version 1.2 was issued free on '.net' Jan 2000 CDROM, No 66A.
I'm pretty sure later versions of it will be around now on cover discs.