PDA

View Full Version : Military expressions

denachtenmai
20th Jan 2013, 11:14
Following on from a thread in Mil. Forum.
My wife was never acquainted with the military until she met me :hmm: but she has picked up, and uses, some expressions that I come out with,e.g "U/S, tits up", etc. she also understands my usage of "say again and wait one".
Anyone else seen the same result from a partner?
Regards, Den.

Cyber Bob
20th Jan 2013, 11:21
I'm forever saying:

Benz - Petrol
Schlarf - Sleep

Drives CB family nuts!

unclenelli
20th Jan 2013, 11:25
It's all here in the Rafanasaurus (http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/rafanasaurus.html) or here on Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_slang)

DX Wombat
20th Jan 2013, 11:56
unclenlli :ok: :ok: :ok:

Lon More
20th Jan 2013, 12:04
Phrases you'd rather not hear (http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Phrases_you%27d_rather_not_hear)

denachtenmai
20th Jan 2013, 12:16
unclenelli
It's all here in the Rafanasaurus or here on Wiki

Yep, I understand that, I wasn't looking for phrases/ expressions that are, or have been, in use, I was after the use within the family :ok:
Regards, Den.

G-CPTN
20th Jan 2013, 12:46
In use in our household was "Army right!" as Mrs G-CPTN had difficulty identifying left from right. She even turned the wrong way during her driving test . . .

Hobo
20th Jan 2013, 12:52
In answer to the question, no. I never found any difficulty in separating work completely from the rest of my life, so never used such expressions outside the workplace.

Worrals in the wilds
20th Jan 2013, 12:59
Cluster :mad:ck. I picked it up from an army friend. It's not very elegant but suits a number of occasions :\.
Also, the expression (and mindset) 'what do we want to achieve here'?

Temp Spike
20th Jan 2013, 13:22
Farts and Darts - USAF senior officer hat bill decoration, of puffy clouds and lightening bolts. Absolutely hilarious IMO.

Temp Spike
20th Jan 2013, 13:25
Lawn Darts - U.S. Navy Blue Angels description of the USAF Thunderbirds.

Temp Spike
20th Jan 2013, 13:33
Fore and Aft hat - The most ridiculous hat term/term hat ever devised.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkRzfiBBZKrJLf7Crg28_l-rR9QDCD5DToLVyB4AESHFU7HGN5

Capot
20th Jan 2013, 14:28
My inability to stop using "Wait one" decades after leaving the Army drives my wife mad. As does ackowledging the latest instruction with either "Wilco", meaning "Yes", or "In sha' Allah", meaning "OK, I can't be bothered to argue, but I will put it off sine die", ie the meaning it has in any Arab force such as the one I ended up in. But what makes her reach for a club is answering a question with "Wait, out" if I've got something better to do than think about it.

Seldomfitforpurpose
20th Jan 2013, 14:35
When pointing anything of interest out inevitably it will be left/right, clock code, high/low, moving left to right/right to left...........works a treat :ok:

radeng
20th Jan 2013, 14:36
Terms my ex-RAF father used were 'Dim as a Toc H lamp' and 'Sticks like sh*t to a blanket'.

Tankertrashnav
20th Jan 2013, 14:46
The flying club I belonged to had a number of ex-mil aircrew as members, so 'standard NATO' coffees were always being ordered in the clubhouse.

Radeng, Toc H lamps predate the RAF but were still being referred to when I was in. Funnily enough I remember hitching as a young teenager, and an RAF officer who had given me a lift in his Mini (first time I'd been in one) told me it stuck like sh*t to a blanket - the first time I'd heard the expression.

BOAC
20th Jan 2013, 15:51
TTN - my copy of QRs says the approved expression is "like a mad woman's sh*t to a blanket".

SNAFU is popular here.

con-pilot
20th Jan 2013, 15:58
As a kid FUBAR was my favorite. :p

However, I quickly learned never to use that term within mother's hearing. :uhoh:

Flypro
20th Jan 2013, 16:03
Its taken years, but herself is now fully trained to announce 'Clear Left' at road junctions when safe to pull out:ok:

radeng
20th Jan 2013, 16:11
TTN

Father joined in 1942 and was invalided out in 1944, having cracked his spine dropping out of an aircraft (while on the ground) someone having removed the ladder.

Although Toc H dates back to 1915, and is still going, although you don't hear much about them.

Tankertrashnav
20th Jan 2013, 16:12
Yes, but does she say "Oh no, wait" as a car appears about 200 yards away? :ugh:

brickhistory
20th Jan 2013, 16:19
A.S.A.P:

Military (U.S. anyway) - ASAP as in "A-sap" pronounced as a two syllable word.

Civilian - individual letters as in "A.S.A.P."

Flypro
20th Jan 2013, 16:30
Tanker,

I'm pleased to report that at last she understands that a late change of mind is not an option.

We do still fall out about my 'Close enough for Government work' attitude though.

Cornish Jack
20th Jan 2013, 16:33
Re. "Dim as a Toc H lamp" - constantly use it when confronted by so many of today's worthies. Was thinking , the other day, that quite a few of that era's phonetic alphabet remain but having started my military phonetics with Able Baker Charlie Dog etc, I can't recall seeing the complete WW1 version. Pip Emma and Ack Emma and Toc H for Talbot House often but nothing else immediately springs to mind.

B Fraser
20th Jan 2013, 16:48
How to serve tea

Nato Standard - White with two
Adolf - White with one
Julie Andrews - White and none
Whoopie Goldberg - Black and none

fireflybob
20th Jan 2013, 16:53
The one I like is "early stack" as in going home early!

G-CPTN
20th Jan 2013, 17:05
announce 'Clear Left' at road junctionsNow why didn't I think of that instead of "OK left" which I have always used (which might be subject to misunderstanding I now realise).

rgbrock1
20th Jan 2013, 17:09
Radio transmission speak: "Say again."

Descriptive term for something which is really screwed up "Goat fukc"

Looking good or performing a task satisfactorily: "Squared away."

West Coast
20th Jan 2013, 17:31
The F word.

The military capability to insert the word into any other word of more than two syllables.

Unfu*****ingbelievable.

rgbrock1
20th Jan 2013, 17:41
Roger f**king that, West Coast. :ok:

Saintsman
20th Jan 2013, 18:31
Shreddies are for wearing, not eating.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th Jan 2013, 18:54
I tried to clear out my Service phrases, but found my civvy colleagues, and especially the kids, really liked and copied a few.

TBD deliberately mis-translated as Too Bloody Difficult

Sharp as a beachball

RTFQ (stated as read the flipping question)

and, copied from my IOT Flt Sgt,
"You know it makes sense" when it clearly didn't.

oh, and joke internal phone answering was a new discovery for them
"Sharp End, Duty Point speaking",
"German High Command, Countries invaded; we have a special this week on ...Poland"
etc.

Mac the Knife
20th Jan 2013, 19:23
Still say, "Say again"

'Tisn't my fault if I dress when I 'alt

:cool:

sitigeltfel
20th Jan 2013, 19:29
Radio transmission speak: "Say again."To which the reply was, "Again."

Loki
20th Jan 2013, 19:44
Used to use "PPP, PPP" a lot when advising my sons on their endeavours.

(proper preparation prevents p8ss poor performance) I gather that that is of a military origin.

Firestorm
20th Jan 2013, 19:50
"Scrub round" meaning not to bother remains a favourite in my lexicon from Navy Days. There are others, and I think aviation keeps many of them alive. :ok:

ExSp33db1rd
20th Jan 2013, 20:29
Still say, "Say again"

Well, it's better than ... I say, Darling, do you mind repeating that a little louder and in a language that I can understand ? ( SWMBO being of USA extraction )

Slight thread drift I'm afraid, and we've had many on USA-speak/English, but one I have adopted is 'trunk' instead of 'boot' for the space at the back of a car where she puts her fifteen bits of essential baggage and artifacts anytime we go anywhere, makes more sense to me, and is more descriptive now that we don't wear knee-high boots so often these days.

......... back to Military exprssions

mad_jock
20th Jan 2013, 20:57
Slit arse was one of the choice ones which personally I managed not to get into the habit of using thankfully.

galaxy flyer
20th Jan 2013, 22:46
"It's all OBE" Overcome By Events
"Speed of Heat". Really fast
"Smash". Speed, in general
The popular "FRED" Fcuking Ridiculous Economic Disaster

GF

Vercingetorix
21st Jan 2013, 00:36
CDF aka as commonsense

alisoncc
21st Jan 2013, 05:06
Heard my daughter using the expression "two - six" when moving some heavy items of furniture with assistance of others. When queried later, she replied that I used to use it all the time when pushing things. I suppose pushing airies and hangar doors had had some long term effect.

Lon More
21st Jan 2013, 05:33
Sympathy?? You'll find that between sh!t and syphilis in the dictionary

Oh my, what a pity, never mind

grow a pair

get some in (wasn't there a tv series with that as title about National Service?)

edited to add, found this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt4K-qHda4s

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st Jan 2013, 06:16
Still use its U/S when something breaks, shortly followed by 'It will do a trip' after 'bodging' it back together :ok:

ORAC
21st Jan 2013, 06:21
Watch your six/Check six.

Wait one.

Say again/ I say again.

Roger that.

Standby/Standing by to standby.

Confirm.

ExSp33db1rd
21st Jan 2013, 07:56
Roger that.

When did Roger become Charlie ?

ex_matelot
21st Jan 2013, 08:38
Neggers cheggers! Now im off for a dhobi before i get my swad down in my margaret.

merlinxx
21st Jan 2013, 08:39
Local or G

ORAC
21st Jan 2013, 08:42
Using L for local time, i.e. 1800L does tend to confuse those using correct time zone codes.

goudie
21st Jan 2013, 09:08
Heard my daughter using the expression "two - six" when moving some heavy items.

Hangar doors were always opened and closed to the shouts of ' two six'.
No-one ever knew where it originated but a few years ago I mentioned it to my drinking chum who's ex Navy and he said it comes from the gun drills of Nelson's Navy, where the gun crews did everything by numbers shouted out by the gunnery officer. Numbers two and six hauled the cannon back in for re-loading.
He also explained why an egg sandwich was called an 'egg banjo'.

Alloa Akbar
21st Jan 2013, 09:15
Ex Matelot - I am still on Neggers Cheggers.. Nice one :ok:

Various others -

Tits: short for tits up.

Snags: As in that bloke's got snags.

Popeye: Term of endearment I still use on sub-ordinates at work "You can fcuk right off Popeye"

JTF: Jack Ta Fcuk - A habitual user of Naval terminology.

Zambers: Short for Zambesi - Rhyming slang for Stand Easy.

Hoop: ar5eh0le - "You can shove that up your hoop popeye"

Chopper: A ********.

Arch-Chopper: Monumental ********

Switch to receive: Shut up.

ORAC
21st Jan 2013, 09:17
goudie, myth. See posts 7 and 8. (http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5044)

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st Jan 2013, 09:20
Bought a Motorhome just over a year ago and prior to setting off in it still inform SWMBO that I am just going to do "my walk round checks" :ok:

Flying Lawyer
21st Jan 2013, 09:38
Used to use "PPP, PPP" a lot when advising my sons on their endeavours.

During a trial just a few years ago, a judge sent a note to a young barrister headed "6 Ps" and then spelling out "Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."
She appealed her defendant’s conviction (dangerous driving) saying that the judge's remarks had damaged her confidence and prevented her client getting a fair hearing.
The Court of Appeal described the note as "wholly inappropriate” and said they were "unable to decide if the judge thought it was a humorous attempt to indicate what he felt or whether it was pure rudeness."

Tankertrashnav
21st Jan 2013, 09:46
quite a few of that era's phonetic alphabet remain but having started my military phonetics with Able Baker Charlie Dog etc, I can't recall seeing the complete WW1 version. Pip Emma and Ack Emma and Toc H for Talbot House often but nothing else immediately springs to mind.

Cornish Jack, here's a link to a site with various phonetic alphabets listed, including the one you refer to. That has 'Don' instead of 'Dog', which explains 'Don R' for dispatch rider, a connection I hadn't made before.

History of the NATO phonetic alphabet « Adam Twidell on private jet charter & aviation | PrivateFly Blog (http://blog.privatefly.com/history-of-the-nato-phonetic-alphabet)

Dr Jekyll
21st Jan 2013, 10:18
'As you were'

Meaning 'I've just realised my previous remark was nonsense so please disregard it.'

radeng
21st Jan 2013, 10:36
Also WW1 was 'Ay is for 'orses', 'Beef or mutton', 'See for yourself' etc.

In practice the ICAO/NATO/ITU alphabet is good for strong signals with strong accents, but isn't as a good as Amsterdam/Baltimore with very weak signals down in the noise or with lots of interference - because the longer words give syllabic redundancy. This is offset to some extent by the fact everybody knows it, but it isn't perfect.

Although the 1936 marine one with Xanthippe for X was interesting - how many people even know how to pronounce it?

B Fraser
21st Jan 2013, 11:01
I thought "dhobi" was washing and "dhobi dust" was soap powder. It certainly is in the Fraser household. Going "off for a dhobi" sounds similar to going for a "Steve Wright in the afternoon" *

* a post luncheon "Evana" in the "Gary"

** "Evana Trump" = dump

*** "Gary Glitter" = shitter

Groundbased
21st Jan 2013, 11:06
not sure if these are mil, but a former colleague who was in the army always talked about tea being either harry strongers or harry weakers. Drinks were wets, and any sediment in beer was referred to as sandy bottoms.

Old Photo.Fanatic
21st Jan 2013, 11:07
A couple I seem to remember way back when I was a Boy Entrant 1956 -1958.
In answer to question "Do you now where xxxxx is? stock answer I still use today; "He's gone to the Pictures"
Astra Cinema, everyone shouted "Good old Fred" refering to Fred Quimby, he of looney tunes cartoons, Tom and Jerry etc, again I stilll use this where appropriate.

OPF

G-CPTN
21st Jan 2013, 11:12
either harry strongers or harry weakers

Harry flatters = full throttle in motor-racing.

ORAC
21st Jan 2013, 11:24
Aye, dhobi was doing yer shreddies.

And having a khazi was doing the other.....

Alloa Akbar
21st Jan 2013, 12:38
Beef - Dhobying is indeed, washing, although not necessarily clothes, "Bath and dhobes" was personal freshness routine.. Which morphed into an "Obi Wan" as in Obi Wan Kenobi - Dhobi.

"Thin out" was another, meaning bugger off. When combined with Dhobying it was used to describe a well known shampoo of the time "wash n go" which was known in the military ad "Dhobi and thin"

The term "Harry" was applied to most things..

HBM - Harry Black maskers

Harry Skinters - No money (Or the name one gave a taxi driver in foreign ports as you jumped out of the taxi at the main gangway without paying and assuring the driver that you had left your wallet in the mess and you'd be back in a tick!!)

Harry Shiters - Drunk

Aircraft Tools also had unique mil names..

Big Reds - Pliers (Heavyweight)

GS - Screwdriver (Large Flatpoint)

Flypro
21st Jan 2013, 12:46
ICKIES.

ie any currency that isn't British

Because Ickies aren't real money, one can spend lots of it without worrying:ok:

radeng
21st Jan 2013, 12:47
An ex-merchant navy guy I know always refers to 'having a wet' for a drink.

Alloa Akbar
21st Jan 2013, 13:05
Aye.. "Scupper yer wets!" :ok:

Another which is good Mil code when female strawberries (Strawberry Mivvy - Civvy) were in earshot was "Back scuttle".. A useful alternative to "Smash 'er back doors in!" :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Jan 2013, 13:54
Gyppo - to skive off a work detail.

Wank chariot - bed.

rgbrock1
21st Jan 2013, 14:05
Fart sack - bed.

radeng
21st Jan 2013, 14:13
What's the origin of 'shreddies'?

jimtherev
21st Jan 2013, 14:28
In answer to question "Do you now where xxxxx is? stock answer I still use today; "He's gone to the Pictures"
OPF
Or "He went mad so we shot him"

From FiL (35 yrs in - i.e. just post-Nelson) "Belay the last pipe"

Alloa Akbar
21st Jan 2013, 14:53
Jim - When God said "let there be light" you were the duty Greenie, right? ;)

Greenie - Electrical trade technician.

Tankertrashnav
21st Jan 2013, 14:55
Flypro - finally got Mrs TTN to give me a "clear left" when pulling out of a junction this morning! Only taken 43 years - the power of Jet Blast :ok:

I was telling her about the thread and she reminded me that she often uses the word 'mufti' for civvies. Apparently was also used in the nursing profession, as in them talking about changing into mufti before going out. An old Indian Army word, I'd guess.

Lightning Mate
21st Jan 2013, 14:59
Prod - hook up to tanker.

Tanker wa**er - tanker pilot eh ttn. :E

B Fraser
21st Jan 2013, 15:03
Here's a couple of civvy ones.....

"Birmingham Screwdriver" - a mallet.

"Scouse Key" - a brick.

denachtenmai
21st Jan 2013, 15:03
My wife is also well up on the 24 hour clock, much to the annoyance of the kids and neighbours, the consensus seems to be "wtf are you on about, is that am or pm?" this is, unfortunately, a result of my influence, again.:\
Regards, Den.

ORAC
21st Jan 2013, 15:04
Boy Entrant: (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=nliNHWAvBkMC&pg=PA61&lpg=PA61&dq=shreddies+shred+crotch&source=bl&ots=qaEWq6OHND&sig=7pxQtSYQ5kdErRMrtfPXr-DrIrU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nWX9UP7nFpHL0AWR9YCADQ&ved=0CGMQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=shreddies%20shred%20crotch&f=false) "We would later learn that the RAF slang name for these garments was “shreddies ” because of their tendency to become threadbare and shred at the crotch"

Prod - hook up to tanker. You remind me of the telegram I sent for the wedding of 2 Fighter Controllers (Tim C****h and Hazel G*****ths).

"Dry prods complete, clear in wet, fill to full".

Well, they reportedly found it funny, even in their civvie guests didn't. :\:\

Alloa Akbar
21st Jan 2013, 15:10
My wife is also well up on the 24 hour clock

Reminds me of an old conversation..

"What's the time Chief?"

"Half past four sir"..

"Thats not exactly a nautical reply Chief..?"

"OK it's half past four me hearty".. :cool:

Lightning Mate
21st Jan 2013, 15:15
"box open 123 box closed" as fast as possible.

Opening a pack of fags and if nobody said "in" before you got to "closed" nobody would be offered one.

It got to a point where just the "bo" would get shouts.

"afterburner" - Lightning pilots slang for a flaming Drambuie to be downed in one (preferably done with the bar lights out).

Alloa Akbar
21st Jan 2013, 15:22
Phrases to confuse the family...

"Put a leeward wind on the neptune dust" (Pass the salt)

"Slip us the slide" (Pass the butter)

Necky - As in cheeky, brass neck.. How much neck has he got? Shedloads, and all of it brass!

"He's got more neck than a 3 badge brontosaurus with a make'n' mend chit at action stations"..

Lightning Mate
21st Jan 2013, 15:24
"twirler"

Ask Wholigan.

ex_matelot
21st Jan 2013, 15:33
Anyone still go to the "gadaffi" or "colonel" to buy nutty & a goffa?

Edit: Re 2-6 Remember once reading a dit on arrse where someone had a moment of intense pride at a funeral, when just as the pall-bearers gripped the coffin a "2-6" was heard.

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Jan 2013, 17:15
A fart sack was a sleeping bag among us'ns, Mr RGB.

rgbrock1
21st Jan 2013, 17:19
SRT:

For us a fart sack was either the sleeping bag (Arctic, Type II, 1 each) or the bed. Either place was where one let 'em rip so......

Groundgripper
21st Jan 2013, 18:24
From my grandfather - who was retired from the Royal Navy in 1911 on health grounds (and lived until 1947):

FTB and BTA: Full To Busting and Back Teeth Awash

oft repeated in my and my sister's presence to our delight and my grandmother's horror:p

GG

rgbrock1
21st Jan 2013, 18:28
How could I have forgotten? FUBAR. F**ked Up Beyond All Recognition.
More or less what I'm subjected to every day at work. :ok::ok::ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Jan 2013, 18:33
Landmyn hoender (land mine chicken) - runny stew containing what looks to be savagely dismembered bits of the unfortunate fowl. Rumour was they bunged a chook and a hand grenade into a pot and held down the lid with a sandbag until the echoes had died away.

Wingswinger
21st Jan 2013, 18:34
Grobbly = adjective describing poor low-flying weather.
Clag = clouds.
Limey VFR = NATO colour code green (3.7 - 5km visibility) when only the RAF are still low flying.

West Coast
21st Jan 2013, 18:57
Rubber bitch

The sleeping mat one slept on

Birth control glasses, shortened to BCD's

Unstylish black rimmed glasses, so named because you would never get laid wearing them.

Shit on a shingle

Pretty universal I think

rgbrock1
21st Jan 2013, 19:01
Rubber bitch? The sleeping mat one slept on? Must be a jarhead thing.
We Rangers bring boulders with us and use them as pillows in the desert.:ok::ok::p:p

ex_matelot
21st Jan 2013, 19:07
Fart Cart = Bed

West Coast
21st Jan 2013, 19:17
RG

Goes to show that Marines were smarter then.

uffington sb
21st Jan 2013, 19:41
Charpoy, scratcher, pit = bed

Punkah = fan

Doolally = mad

And trade names,

Plumber = armourer

Fairy = avionics

Sooty = engines

Rock Ape = RAF Regiment

Blanket stacker = supplier

Snow drop = RAF Police

Grow bag = RAF pilot

:)

Wingswinger
21st Jan 2013, 19:53
Bucket of sunshine = instant dawn breaker = nuke.

rgbrock1
21st Jan 2013, 19:54
That may be, West Coast, but I always thought sleeping mats were something little girls brought to pajama parties. :p:p:p:p:p

ex_matelot
21st Jan 2013, 19:58
@ Uffington - Punkah louvres are the air outlets above matelot's bunks on warships.

There apears to be some mutual intelligibility between the RN and the military wing of Easyjet ;)

West Coast
21st Jan 2013, 20:05
Bet those little girls were awfully comfy in comparison

Seymour Belvoir
21st Jan 2013, 20:18
I realised had taken the military expressions a bit too far when my 5 yr old announced
'Dad, I am going to double myself away and crack on with my jobs!'.

cargosales
21st Jan 2013, 20:36
"Gopping" ... as in "This room is a gopping pigsty". As used by a memorable Flight Sgt despite our best endeavours with the Mr Sheen

beaufort1
21st Jan 2013, 20:43
Yomping...

Old 'Un
21st Jan 2013, 21:17
Son-in-law (Air Force brat) introduced me to a new one a while ago:

BOHICA

Had to ask what it stood for.

Silly me...:ooh:

Le Vieux

ex_matelot
21st Jan 2013, 21:30
Re: BOHICA - Never actually heard it used in anger but can think of many a time it would have been handy to know, at the time!

West Coast
21st Jan 2013, 21:44
SNAFU

Situation normal, all F'ed up

Except it's not F'ed

Carry0nLuggage
22nd Jan 2013, 07:59
Perhaps it comes from working in the aerospace industry virtually since leaving school but I would not have realised so many of these expressions were military in origin. Then again, this industry does employ a lot of ex-mil types so it's not that surprising.

I try not to use too many of them otherwise I start to sound like a Walt ;)

Hydromet
22nd Jan 2013, 09:34
A couple of the old WW II ex army blokes I worked with referred to bread as 'dodger'. Never heard the expression anywhere else, is it military or just an expression from that time? I'd never heard it until I started working with them.

Vercingetorix
22nd Jan 2013, 10:58
a Jammy Dodger was a sandwich made with biscuits

rgbrock1
22nd Jan 2013, 13:39
Wolf pussy.

Temp Spike
22nd Jan 2013, 14:04
"Here's to a bloody war or a sickly season"

Mainly an officer's toast.

Temp Spike
22nd Jan 2013, 14:08
Fart Sack - in the U.S. Marines was a cheese cloth like, "sack", that covered your entire bunk's matress and tied at the end. Days of open squad bays anyway.

Ah yes - "Squad Bay", the barracks before three man rooms.

Temp Spike
22nd Jan 2013, 14:09
Dinger - Top scoring Marine at the rifle range that back then was a, 200, 300, and, 500 yard course.

Lonewolf_50
22nd Jan 2013, 16:26
Terms I still use:
OBE - Overcome By Events
Speed of Heat
Check six
Wait one
Say again / I say again.
Confirm
Affirm
Bed = rack
BOHICA
DILLIGAS
SNAFU
FUBAR

I no longer used, but often did back in the service, the following:

JANFU: Joint Army Navy Foul Up. ;)
WILCO
Aye
Aye, Aye
Rations/Rats (Food)

rgbrock1
22nd Jan 2013, 16:31
Lonewolf:

The joint Army Navy foul up? That was entirely the Navy's fault, you do know that correct? :}:}

Ancient Observer
22nd Jan 2013, 16:32
From father, who spent much of WW2 in the Desert.

"Where are we going?"

"There and back to see how long it takes"

Lonewolf_50
22nd Jan 2013, 20:57
That is METT-T dependent, Sarge. :8:}

Temp Spike
22nd Jan 2013, 23:01
Lifer - sad commentary.

West Coast
22nd Jan 2013, 23:37
Lonewolf

I'm hungry for some pogeybait from the geedunk.

Temp Spike
22nd Jan 2013, 23:44
Hollywood Marine - a West Coast marine not tested in the swamps of Parris Island.

alisoncc
23rd Jan 2013, 00:35
Growing up in an era when just about every older male relative had served, military expressions were all too common.

Gyppy tummy - referred to a crook tum, from Egyptian food poisoning.
A bit Dullaly - not mentally sound, British army asylum in India.
Dim as a Toc H lamp - badge, emblem of a teetotal/religious group.

Temp Spike
23rd Jan 2013, 01:04
Sick Bay Commando - an accusation

Temp Spike
23rd Jan 2013, 01:21
Wing Wiper - Aviation Marine.
Squid - Any Sailor.
Zoomie - Any Aviation Person Anywhere
Top - Master Gunnery Sargent
C-Rats - C rations...long before MREs
Gunjy - Gung Ho
Gung Ho - Jar Head
Jar Head - Jack Ass

USMC - Uncle Sam's Missguided Children
Pogy Bait - That which makes you fat and unable to be a Marine. the Army had no word for it because they were always fat.

BAM - Broad Ass Marine. da womens.

Hot LZ - scary place.

West Coast
23rd Jan 2013, 01:44
You're a bit outdated, Top also refers to a Master Sergeant.

"Sargent"

Plus you misspelled Sergeant.

Ogre
23rd Jan 2013, 01:46
I still cause much confusion around here when I walk around asking for information with the phrase "What's the gen?", especially when it turns out to be duff.

As an ex-avionics tech I refer to any workshop as "the fairy dell", which on one occassion got me a telling off for allegedly impuning the sexuality of one of the techies in there.

"Heads up" is still used when announcing something to a meeting.

"babies heads", "train smash" and "cheese possessed" are not on the menu very often these days, however I make sure my boss knows when I am going for a brew (references to NATO just get blank looks).

I sometimes have to be up crack of sparrows at 04:f&*s sake to catch the MT when working away.

There are probably more but these are the ones I know I use, the rest are probably sub-conscious

Seldomfitforpurpose
23rd Jan 2013, 01:51
Was a regular user of 'let's get everything squared away' when the kids where younger and still use 'get your sh1t together, we're out of here' :ok:

500N
23rd Jan 2013, 01:55
Not sure about others but having come back to the thread and just read the post above, plus all the others, you don't realize just how many military expressions you use until they are put up in black and white such as this thread.

No wonder I get a few sideways looks from people :O

Vercingetorix
23rd Jan 2013, 04:14
Fishhead = Submariner
As queer as a diesel driven dishcloth

Temp Spike
23rd Jan 2013, 04:33
Out of date west coast...no sh*t? Who would have guessed?

West Coast
23rd Jan 2013, 04:47
United States Marine Corps rank insignia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_rank_insignia)

Krystal n chips
23rd Jan 2013, 04:50
" Endex"....probably because one could then foxtrot asap at the time and still have the affinity for doing so.

"Cat 5"....

And, in culinary terms, "shit on a raft "...once suggested this as a starter to a couple who were intent on emulating Hycacinth Bouquet....the conversation stopped...rapidly... at this point, their faces turned a whiter shade of pale and the audible gasps followed.

One kindly explained the term and the concoction....although strangely, and thankfully, one was never invited to dine with them..:E

Temp Spike
23rd Jan 2013, 04:51
In don't need a link. I know exactly what the ranks are. So why do YOU need a link?

West Coast
23rd Jan 2013, 04:59
I added it as a courtesy to you. I left active duty in the mid 90's and even since then the rank structure has changed, as an example see CWO-5 insignia.

I thought you might find it interesting to see the new insignia's.

Temp Spike
23rd Jan 2013, 05:15
I know they added a new wo insignia, but we were talking about the enlisted rank called "top". Sometimes, but very rarely would a master sgt be called "top". Especially if he was not indeed the, “top”. Besides, I really don’t care what they call themselves now and by your past comments to me, I doubt you have any courtesy in mind at all. You are disingenuously play one-up-man-ship.

West Coast
23rd Jan 2013, 05:34
My apologies if it seemed other than genuine.

Temp Spike
23rd Jan 2013, 05:37
Genuinely deceptive.

Ogre
23rd Jan 2013, 06:09
Still refer to the "chain of command" on a project, which gets funny looks.

One of many bosses has a military background, so when he asks for a meeting i often ask "do i need my hat?"

"Time for tea and medals" at the end of a task
"Standby to standby" if i don't know the answer
"Whats the ROE" if we are having a difference of opinion with a customer/contractor and i need to know how we are going to proceed.

Seldomfitforpurpose
23rd Jan 2013, 07:06
Chain of command, mine is called Dragon Op's and I still find myself using 'and relax' :ok:

MagnusP
23rd Jan 2013, 09:07
I never served, but my Dad was RAF and served in India and Burma in the last little unpleasantness. His conversation was peppered with various local words he'd picked up.

Incidentally, you can find Deolali (doolally) on Googoo maps.

oxenos
23rd Jan 2013, 09:28
Toc H lamp.
The reference is to the fact that outside each Toc H establishment hung a stylised metal lamp, but it did not light up.

Posby - a miser - presumably from Post Office Savings Book

B Fraser
23rd Jan 2013, 10:38
Incidentally, you can find Deolali (doolally) on Googoo maps.

That was where the troops were stationed in "It Ain't Half Hot Mum". I'm working my way through the entire box set and it's bloody brilliant - totally un-PC and everyone gets the piss taken out of them so that's fair and square.

One of the actors was a major in the Gurkhas. For an extra point, who can post a picture of the same chap acting in a British uniform ? Here's a hint...

http://www.oocities.org/iahhm/mbates01.jpg

MagnusP
23rd Jan 2013, 11:18
Didn't realize that was where it was set, BF. Great programme. The references to the likes of char-wallah and punkah-wallah and so on reminded me of my dad's use of words he'd picked up.

Davaar
23rd Jan 2013, 11:33
Fishhead = Submariner

Not in my time. It was used by the FAA of all non-aviators. The expression was coined, I was told, by one pre-war Lt Cdr R N E*****t, RN, of the Fleet Air Arm. He had passed through the promotion zone for Commander, and was doomed to remain at Lt Cdr for ever.

Appointed to earn some "sea-time" towards promotion to Commander, he had the misfortune to put his ship ashore. The Lords Commissioners were displeased and subjected him to court martial.He was found guilty, and sentenced to loss of seniority.

That loss of seniority put him back into the promotion zone, the war arrived, and he went on to a distinguished career.

rgbrock1
23rd Jan 2013, 12:16
Dunno about the jarheads but in the Army "Top" is used for the company/battery First Sergeant. Not a Master Sergeant.

Exascot
23rd Jan 2013, 12:59
When guiding clients in the mountains I frequently say that it is just a 'bimble'. No one except my wife (also RAF Ret'd) understands so I guess that it is a military term?

'Chain of Command' - absolutely, I use it all the time (now that I am at the top :E) Please do not mention this to Mrs Exascot who seems to think differently.

denachtenmai
23rd Jan 2013, 13:14
Krystal
could then foxtrot
I was banned from using Foxtrot Oscar by swmbo, so i started using imshi, until my savvy grandson picked up on it and managed to get the translation :eek:
I have to be very careful now :(
Regards, Den.

ORAC
23rd Jan 2013, 13:17
For an extra point, who can post a picture of the same chap acting in a British uniform

http://www.nndb.com/people/108/000279268/michael-bates-1-sized.jpg

rgbrock1
23rd Jan 2013, 13:37
ORAC:

Richard Burton? :}:}

radeng
23rd Jan 2013, 13:41
Brother in law (now RAF retired) refers to ALL naval personnel as 'fishheads' and all Army as 'pongos'.

rgbrock1
23rd Jan 2013, 13:43
radeng:

Pongos? I've been called a "mud eater", "ground pounder" or even "grunt" but a pongo?

Must be a Brit thing!

Seldomfitforpurpose
23rd Jan 2013, 13:51
radeng:

Pongos? I've been called a "mud eater", "ground pounder" or even "grunt" but a pongo?

Must be a Brit thing!

It is, and a rough translation is along the lines of any [email protected] idiot can be uncomfortable :p

radeng
23rd Jan 2013, 13:55
Supposed to refer to feet smelling, i.e. a 'pong'

B Fraser
23rd Jan 2013, 14:12
Award yourself a point Mr Orac. And for a Beefy Bonus, who can post a pic of the same gent acting in a more aviation oriented role ? You will never watch that scene in quite the same way again.

PeregrineW
23rd Jan 2013, 14:17
And for a Beefy Bonus, who can post a pic of the same gent acting in a more aviation oriented role ?

How's this?

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsB/1111-1318.gif

Do I get an extra point if I can guess which picture comes next? ;-)

B Fraser
23rd Jan 2013, 14:19
First Class !

yes, feel free to post the inevitable pic :E:E:E:E:E:E:E

fitliker
23rd Jan 2013, 14:21
"yer teas out"

PeregrineW
23rd Jan 2013, 14:22
Ask, and ye shall receive...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/SYork03.jpg

flying lid
23rd Jan 2013, 17:30
Mate was a "rag packer" at Brize Norton (Parachute re-packer). Often referred to Pongos. The RAF saying was

"Where the Army goes - The Pong goes" - Hence Pongos !!

Another mate had the best job in the RAF - he was the coach driver for the RAF band based at Uxbridge. The things they got up to --------- !!

Lid

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Jan 2013, 06:06
Non teeth organisations and units were known as jam stealers.

Lon More
24th Jan 2013, 06:48
Thanks for that photo, brings back a lot of memories. ( I told my then GF I thought her bum was just as nice, but could I have a better look .... :E) The action supposedly took place in the Jackdaw (http://www.thejackdaw.info/) in Denton, Kent; about 5nm N of Hawkinge.

Alloa Akbar
24th Jan 2013, 08:01
Lets not leave out "Crabs" for the RAF bed wetters. :E

Zorro Polilla
24th Jan 2013, 08:45
aka Little Blue Orchids in my day. :E

Dr Jekyll
24th Jan 2013, 08:59
Was 'gone pear shaped' originally an RAF expression? Opinions seem to vary.

Temp Spike
24th Jan 2013, 14:30
Little Blue Orchids…! LMFAO

27mm
24th Jan 2013, 15:54
Don't forget:

RASC - Run Away Someone's Coming

QARANC - Queen Alexandra's Royal Armoured Nursing Corps

NAAFI - No Ambition And [email protected] All Interest

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Jan 2013, 16:23
'gone pear-shaped' is a euphemism for 'tits up'

The OED records its first published use as RAF, 1983. It was in common use before that though, and has nothing to do with loops.

rgbrock1
24th Jan 2013, 16:23
Roger that, Fox3!!

Seldomfitforpurpose
24th Jan 2013, 16:39
Wasn't pear shaped a standard description for WRAF folk :E

Capot
24th Jan 2013, 16:45
We started calling the RAF 'crabs' not because they suffered from them, although they probably did, but because they approached every problem sideways.

"Two Six----Heave" started in the Gunners; Nos. 2 and 6 in the crew were on the wheel-ropes and were heavily built men selected more for strength than thinking. They also carried shells and cases to the gun from the dump/store some way behind it.

The intelligentsia were No 3 (layer/firer), Nos 4 and 5 (charge selection, fuze setting, loading, unloading) and No 1, the Boss.

Temp Spike
24th Jan 2013, 18:36
RN - Royal NoAirArm.

rgbrock1
24th Jan 2013, 18:39
How could I have forgotten FTA?

Used by the malcontents in Uncle Sam's Army meaning:

F**k The Army.

Temp Spike
24th Jan 2013, 18:45
Eat the Apple but F*** the Corps.

An old lifer disturbing phrase.

Davaar
24th Jan 2013, 19:00
because they approached every problem sideways.

Capot, to me that seems very contrived. The origin given to me these sixty years (almost) gone was that an unguent (familiarly "crab-fat") applied to the sores of matelots and others was of a greasy grey colour much like RAF blue. Others saw an allusion to battle-ship grey paint.

As to both "Crabs" and "Pongoes" there was a famed and let us hope not apocryphal Admiralty Fleet Order of equal or even earlier date that read much as follows, viz:

The Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty have received complaints from the Air Force Council and the Army Council that officers of the Royal Navy are in the habit of referring respectively to officers of the Royal Air Force as "Crabs", and to officers of the Army as "Pongoes".

These practices alleged on the part of officers of the Royal Navy will, if well-founded, cease forthwith.

With effect from the date of this Order, officers of the Royal Navy will refer to officers of the Royal Air Force as "Officers of the Royal Air Force", and to Pongoes as "Army Officers".

Temp Spike
24th Jan 2013, 19:03
Davaar....LOL...!

Davaar
24th Jan 2013, 19:22
A propos your # 164, Capot, I remember reading of British Army (but it could have been true of any army, I suppose) manoeuvres at which one senior non-gunner-officer observer noted that in a field-gun crew one lonely figure stood to attention and a little apart from the others throughout the entire operation.

At the subsequent review, the observer asked "Why", and no one knew.

Research was conducted and the answer discovered. The lonely one's job was, or in more spacious days had been, to hold the heads of the horses.

11Fan
24th Jan 2013, 19:59
Roger that....

Probably the one I use the most.

Lonewolf_50
24th Jan 2013, 20:04
IRT FTA:

FTN was occasionally heard belowdecks in the tin can navy ...

rab-k
24th Jan 2013, 23:18
JDLR ("Jay-dee-el-ar")

An individual who, when they approach, has your thumb increase pressure on the safety, simply because your gut tells you they 'Just Don't Look Right'.

ExSp33db1rd
24th Jan 2013, 23:43
us members of our Coastguard Air Patrol (Volunteers if TempSpike if still with us ) refer to our colleagues in the lifeboats - sorry, DRV's (Dedicated Rescue Vessels ) as the Webfoot Brigade.

History doesn't record what they call us.

Capot
25th Jan 2013, 10:34
Davaar, re the lonely figure holding the non-existent horses; when I wrote that post I was cudgelling my brains as to whether one of the crew (1 - 6) drove the gun-tower, or was there a driver who would retire to the vehicle park somewhere away from the gun position, poised to rush back to hook up and advance or retire as required. I could not remember.

But the lonely figure could also be the Gun Position Safety Officer, a peacetime-only role, whose job it was to prevent shells being fired outside the range area. He would be responsible, usually, for a Section of 3 guns.

My military career was a series of deep and sudden steps downwards as I committed various errors, one while performing the GPSO function. You did this, in a busy shoot (say, 20 rounds (per gun as quickly as possible) by watching the angle of the barrels from the side, not easy on a dispersed position, checking as best one could that the charge loaded was correct, also not easy, and that all the barrels were pointing more or less the same way, ditto. Unfortunately one loader put in about twice the required charge behind a shell; as soon as it fired I knew from the noise that a dreadful error had happened. The shell landed and exploded in a field to the North of Salisbury Plain, 30m behind a tractor with its operator, without any serious harm to either. There were 2 Boards, the first very public at which I was duly censured, and the second very secret as to why the then quite new 105mm shell had not reduced the tractor and driver to a smoking heap as it should have done.

Low Flier
25th Jan 2013, 11:24
The version of the origin I was told as that when the RAF drill manual was being cut 'n pasted from the Army one, someone forgot to include the limit on the number sideways paces that can be commanded.

The Army has a limit of (I think) three sideward paces. Any more than that and it has to be: turn; forward; turn. The RAF theoretically could march a formation sideways across the full space of the parade ground. Hence the nickname "crabs".

Alloa Akbar
25th Jan 2013, 11:34
The reason the RAF are called crab fats by the Royal Navy goes back a few years and lies in the fact that naval personnel used to use the grease that the gun shells were caked in to get rid of crabs which they had picked up after visiting some brothel overseas.
The term crab fat derived from the grease they used, it happened to be the same colour as the RAF uniform. Hence the term.

Lon More
25th Jan 2013, 13:42
An American abbreviation, CCF* made it over to the UK. Back in the late 80s the CAA (Campaign Against Aviation) , or was it NATS by then, had a master plan to really screw up aviation in the South of the UK which was known as the Combined Control Function. Presmeably someone foresaw the inherent faults.
* Collosal Cluster [email protected]

Krystal n chips
25th Jan 2013, 16:06
Shall we discuss fish and heads then ?....more pertinently when combined into one definitive term....the two elements having a long standing Naval association I believe...:E

Capot
25th Jan 2013, 17:31
And then there's the bootnecks, but the derivation is quite polite. They once wore leather collars to stop the riff-raff fishheads (from the front of the boat) slitting the bootnecks' throats, on their way to ream out the orficers (in the back of the boat) the bootnecks were there to protect

Lonewolf_50
25th Jan 2013, 17:50
I learned form my RN colleagues, and I think a Dutchman back in the 80's, that the Naval helicopter pilots in those two navies refer to those who drive the ships as fish heads.

I never thought to ask why, as we called our version of same life form "Black Shoes" or simpley "Shoes."

rgbrock1
25th Jan 2013, 17:55
Another term I completely forgot but which I use often enough, even around the homestead:

A.O. As in Area of Operations.

Even the Mrs. uses it. As in: "Sweetie (yes, she calls me sweetie. That's right. Got an objection to that?), would you mind cleaning up the mess you made in your AO?"

Lonewolf_50
25th Jan 2013, 17:56
Happy to know that AO isn't short for Anal Orifice, as that would change the meaning of her request considerably. :eek:

rgbrock1
25th Jan 2013, 17:58
Sorry Lonewolf but I don't make messes down there. I'm far too old for that sort of thing you see.

It's why I use these:

http://www.yourdiaper.com/images/mens_depend.jpg

Davaar
25th Jan 2013, 21:25
Unfortunately one loader put in about twice the required charge behind a shell

Ah, Capot! These "unfortunatelies".

When I was under training at RAF ****** the time and season for Battle of Britain day came nigh, and entertainment was planned for the masses. Included was a demonstration of an RAF ait to ground attack.

The scheme called for a battery to be established by a local trials establishment, Royal Artillery. Said battery would be strafed by a Vampire FB5popping off visible puffs of smoke, simulating pretend cannon at said battery.

My very own personal QFI was to be pilot of the Vampire. Fair's fair, of course, so the "enemy" was allowed a chance to retaliate.The RA was the enemy. All in fun, of course.

Charming and hospitable senior RA chaps (and, having met them, I can attest to their genuine charm and hospitality, a brigadier and a colonel) invited QFI across to their little piece of heaven for a demonstration.

The pieces, as they were called, would fire "break-up" shot: "Bang!" would go the piece, and out of piece would issue the shell. Twenty or so feet away the shell would as advertised break up into a shower of harmless dust.

"Let's show you!"

Off they toddled from the Mess. There was or were the piece or pieces. The required officers, non-commissioned officers and men took up their positions, theoretical horses were tethered and restrained, guns were pointed out to sea and loaded. The order to fire was given.

"BOOM!" came a military noise, with appropriate smoke and such, from the muzzle. A few hundred yards off a fountain rose from the og. where the shell had come to rest

My QFI paled visibly. "Jolly Poor Show!", was the universal judgment.

Seems they had loaded shells of AP or Anti-P or some other "wrong stuff", but rest assured, or "Not to worry! Old Boy!", "It will be OK on the day!"

P.S. A propos "Bootnecks" one recalls the early John Wayne movie "Flying Leathernecks".

Capot
25th Jan 2013, 23:39
Davaar

We in the Army suffered a lot at the hands of the other Services; my personal grudge sheet included being dropped by the RAF into a muddy estuary instead of the LZ 1 mile away (OK, ha ha, great joke), and seeing from the door of an RN Wessex my Landrover being dropped into the sea at Lulworth Cove from another Wessex in formation while on route from a boat called Albion, with all my gear and booze to say nothing of the CP equipment and radios. The Navy pilot just could not get used to the Wessex having the hook button where the PTT was on a Whirlwind. Or so the story went.

Another one decided to practice bombing Salisbury Plain with a 105mm howitzer which went in like a dart and was almost undamaged (which puzzled some very senior orficers until the layer, a clone of Baldrick, told them "it's ******* designed for a bloody great shock, innit.") . 666 was not the Devil's number, it was 845.

Opportunities to get our own back were rare, and not to be missed. And a Vampire would have been an easy target.

Krystal n chips
26th Jan 2013, 05:08
"
We in the Army suffered a lot at the hands of the other Services "

Ah, we understand now,,,a rather unfortunate choice of Careers office, or possibly enticed by the pomp and ceremony displays ( so beloved as time fillers by the Army ) clearly led to your traumatic career choice then,,,,:E

ex_matelot
26th Jan 2013, 06:41
"you are in your own time now"

The Old Fogducker
26th Jan 2013, 11:36
What a wonderful thread that brings back memories of the funny side of my military service time. I've been reminded of a couple not previously mentioned ....

The Officer Of The Day was called the "SLJO" ..... standing for "Shi**y Little Jobs Officer."

The person responsible for any venture or activity large or small was referred to as "The Miffwick." The spoken version of the letters "MFWIC." That was a contraction of the term "Mother Fuc*er Whats In Charge."

I still often automatically refer to a status update as a"SITREP," and almost nobody has a clue what I'm talking about.

It's Not Working
26th Jan 2013, 13:17
My HR Manager was being particularly nice to me following a period of hospitalisation which made me feel uncomfortable. She got the message when told, 'I do warfare not welfare'.

ElectroVlasic
26th Jan 2013, 17:37
tits up

I was told that the term arose from civilian use when a 'frame' in a 'mainframe' style computer went bad. These were usually on raised floors with cables running under them, and to get at the cables one had to tilt over the 'frame', so it's bottom casters, or 'tits' were 'up'.

Another source gives:

Total Unconsciousness. a term used in the military to describe the final stages of several medical conditions (heat exhaustion, heat stroke, chemical exposure, etc.) Also called tango uniform using the military radio phonetics. "Tits up" is the slang version.

Regardless, one does hear 'tits up' in the computer field, and 'tango uniform' if one needs to be more guarded with their speech, which is broadly applied to anything that's in a bad way.

AFU is probably used as much as SNAFU in my experience.

For some reason, FUBAR has morphed into 'foobar' and is quite often used as the name of a computer storage location in training materials.

As for military things, I've heard squid mentioned as slang for Marine here, but not jarhead. I learned that one early in life from someone ex-Navy, and was told to prepared to be beat on if you used it in the presence of a Marine.

ricardian
26th Jan 2013, 18:21
If you are VERY brave you can quote the Royal Marine's motto "Per mare, per terram" as "By horse and by tram".
Similar to the French Navy motto "To the water, it is the hour" which in its original language is "A l'eau, c'est l'heure"

AlpineSkier
26th Jan 2013, 19:34
@ElectroVlasic

How old are you with your expanation ?

Davaar
26th Jan 2013, 22:06
my personal grudge sheet included being dropped

Ah! Capot. This 'ere dropping.

I was once with a manufacturer that produced, Shall we call it? "The Product Movie". This was a marketing tool.

Naturally, THINGs went WRONG in the filming from time to time, and some wits in the camera crews carefully saved the more beguiling vignettes. Wits produced a sequel, "The Product and a Half Movie", for screening to a select audience.

Among these, one touted our armoured tracked vehicle. Said vehicle was shown knocking down tiny saplings and such evidences of raw power, and then came the crowning moment, the drop in suppoirt of Our Lads on the Ground.

Vehicle driven up into very large transport aircraft by the rear ramp, and duly secured. Yup! Attachments made to parachute rope links. Propellers spin, voice-over of controller and pilot gives and receives take-off clearances. Take-off and climb away. At 10,000' or so, Der Tag has come, and rear dropping doors swing open, reveal view of desert far below.

Chaps carefully attached to interior of airframe scurry, prepare armoured tracked vehicle for THE DROP. Vehicle manoeuvred to drop-off station. Background music reaches crescendo.

Vehicle is pushed over the edge. Vehicle falls, as gravity demands it must.

Parachute links tauten. Deployment of parachutes expected. And expected. And expected. And expected. Size of armoured tracked vehicle diminishes into perspective. And diminishes. Disappears into tiny speck.

Puff in the sands of the desert.

ExSp33db1rd
26th Jan 2013, 23:29
RAF guy - before my time - reckoned a Warrant Officer was put on a charge for using obscene language to a WAAF radio technician, who then reported him.

Apparentlythe scene developed thus ... WAAF brought an aircraft radio into the workshop for repair, WO asked "what's wrong with it" and WAAF replied " it's f****d" Well, said the WO, "put the bugger over there"

and HE used obscene language ?

OFSO
27th Jan 2013, 09:21
My inability to stop using "Wait one"

Capot, you are not alone.

in the 1970's I worked with network and spacecraft controllers who had formerly been stationed at Wheelus AFB and would say the phrase "Stand By One" in Arabic, which sounded something like "Stanish Waha Wahid" and I still use it today !

(I'm sure there are speakers of the desert language who can confirm this...)

OFSO
27th Jan 2013, 09:28
Wife tells long and interminable story and as is usual wth the fair sex most nouns are left out and references made to people I have never heard of because I was not concentrating last time such names were mentioned or in a day-dream about more important matters.

When story has come to an end, I assume bored expression and pronounce "say again all after....."

Davaar
27th Jan 2013, 19:17
most nouns are left out and references made to people I have never heard of because I was not concentrating last time such names were mentioned or in a day-dream about more important matters.

Happens to you too? Standard reply to me is; You're so slow in the uptake!"

OFSO
5th Feb 2013, 12:01
Casting my mind back into the void of the past, I remember an ex-naval colleague saying someone was "piso" i.e. fiscally mean.

Is this an expression used today by staff of the Old Grey Funnel Line ?

Alloa Akbar
5th Feb 2013, 12:24
Capot - a boat called Albion,

Correction to detail old son, a boat is I think you'll find, a submarine. Albion was a "Skimmer". :ok:

PS - OFSO - "PISO" was still in use in the 90's although a rather derogatory Jewish term usurped it..

Flypro
5th Feb 2013, 12:57

Flypro
5th Feb 2013, 13:02

Pontius
5th Feb 2013, 14:09
My wife was never acquainted with the military until she met me but she has picked up, and uses, some expressions that I come out with,e.g "U/S, tits up", etc. she also understands my usage of "say again and wait one".
Anyone else seen the same result from a partner?

Rather than a bunch of silly old farts trying to remember military expressions, this is meant to be a thread about family members' use of the same. Can we please get back to how the Mrs (such as mine) uses such phrases as 'put your clothes in the dhobi bin', rather than another f*%king discussion on the origins of crabfat.

Octopussy2
5th Feb 2013, 15:00
But...but Pontius, isn't that the charm of Jetblast, the endless segues from one subject to another?

Personally I'm charmed by NAAFI mentioned a couple of pages back and will be using it liberally from now on, which will confuse the locals (whilst being remarkably apt in a few cases).

Alloa Akbar
5th Feb 2013, 15:20
Back on thread..

Long since divorced ex wife still uses "Dipped in" and "Dipped out" in lieu of (un)lucky.. :ok:

OFSO
5th Feb 2013, 15:28
I was told that the expression SOL (as in "you're SOL there requesting 5000' ") was more acceptable on the R/T than the words......

Oh and to comply with a previous poster, I use it to family members. Well, one family member. The one who asks for an advance on the H/K.

Limeygal
5th Feb 2013, 18:08
While in WRNS my mother heard me talking about someone "Going outside" Naval slang for leaving the service. I found out later, that when asked what I was doing these days, my Mother was telling everyone that I "was inside." Explained a lot of sideways looks I got later.

rgbrock1
5th Feb 2013, 18:14
In the Army we also had the "privilege" of eating SOS. "Hey cook? Got any SOS?"

Which has nothing to do with a cry of help.

And all to do with eating "Shit On a Shingle."

http://midwestrocklobster.com/100107/shitonashingle2.jpg

Yum, yum.

radeng
6th Feb 2013, 08:42
In Swindon, 'going inside' meant going to work into the railway works.

MagnusP
6th Feb 2013, 10:48
RGB, your SOS must rank alongside poutine as the two vilest-looking concoctions I've had the misfortune to clap eyes on. :ok:

Octopussy2
6th Feb 2013, 11:07
What's in it, RG? I don't know about sh!t, it looks more like vomit to me.

rgbrock1
6th Feb 2013, 15:04
What's in SOS? It's one of life's many mysteries. No one really knows. Or cares to admit to.

Having said that, it's chipped beef (mystery meat), bacon and a cream-type sauce served over white bread. Keep in mind this is a breakfast meal though! Well, part of breakfast anyway.

MagnusP:

You have the audacity to comment about SOS when YOU PEOPLE eat that crap called Haggis? Many moons ago I did a tour of Scotland with my then German girlfriend. (Or Girl Fiend after the Haggis incident.) We stopped at some bar/pub
around the Firth of Forth area (lovely area that is) and my girl "suggested" that I order Haggis. Trusting her, then, I did so.
When it arrived my first comment/question was: What the f**k is it? Only after eating eat did she tell me the ingredients.

YOU PEOPLE ARE SICK. :}:}:}

fitliker
6th Feb 2013, 15:37
Haggis without neeps and tatties should be considered blashemy .
If you think Haggis the great chieftain o the puddin race is bad ,try a deep fried white pudding from Gino's chipper.Trust me you do not want to know what is in a white pudding, that only that most people who eat them on a regular basis, do not live past 40.It has ten percent less fat than a bowl of fat.Inspite of the amazing lubrication qualities of some fats a white pudding(not rancid fairly fresh this months and only re-fried twice)will " bung you up " and should be an approved cure for dysentry.

G-CPTN
6th Feb 2013, 15:51
p8oy2BYdaiQ

Krystal n chips
6th Feb 2013, 17:18
Just for you RGB, the eloquently named "shit on a raft ", albeit not served with quite the same ambience by HM Gov't I have to say....bon appetite !

DEVILLED LAMB (http://www.farmersguardian.com/devilled-lamb%E2%80%99s-kidneys-on-toast/14890.article)

rgbrock1
6th Feb 2013, 17:31
Krystal n chips:

Thank you so very kindly for providing that link. Yum, yum. Devilled lamb kidneys. On what looks like a small ocean-seeking craft. Must taste real good too.

I also appreciate your having caused me to lose my lunch. (I know the sun is over the yardarm over yonder but it isn't quite there yet over here.)

Deviled lamb kidneys. Who thinks up of these things? Sick if you ask me.

"My dear. Would you like to come over for dinner tonight? I'm serving up cockroach encrusted pig's balls with a side of snail shit."

My word. CAN'T WE ALL JUST EAT NORMAL THINGS?

:ok::}

OFSO
6th Feb 2013, 18:35
cockroach encrusted pig's balls with a side of snail shit.

Ah ! Happy memories of eating in a service station on the M-1 at 5 a.m. on the way back from a gig down Lunnon way. Oh and with chips of course.

Is the food still like that ?

vulcanised
6th Feb 2013, 19:52
Is the food still like that ?

Not only that, it's probably the same food out of the freezer.

Hydromet
6th Feb 2013, 20:00
Compare RGB's SOS with the Australian Army's sausages on toast - AKA turd on a tile.

Limeygal
6th Feb 2013, 20:09
And who can forget "babies heads" or steak & kidney pudding served up by Her Majesty's Royal Navy

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Feb 2013, 20:25
Haggis is lush, as are devilled kidneys. Slice of fried haggis on toast sets you up for the day, along with a steak and a pound of bacon and sausage. Breakfast of champions!:ok:

tony draper
6th Feb 2013, 20:26
"I was in Baghdad when you were in dad bag"
"I was in uniform when you were in liquid form"
:rolleyes:

rgbrock1
7th Feb 2013, 12:19
Think the photo of SOS looks bad? Here's something from MREs (Meals, Ready to Eat). Served proudly twice a day, three times a day if you're really lucky, by Uncle Sam's Army.

The picture below is an cheese omelet. Yum, yum.

http://www.theimpulsivebuy.com/images/mre02.jpg

Tastes Real Good cold too.

MagnusP
7th Feb 2013, 14:07
Aarrggh, rgb! I feel for you.

However, I will leap to the defence of the great chieftain o' the pudden race. Sheep's heart, lungs and liver are low fat, full of iron and very tasty. We usually eat them in the traditional manner with tatties and neeps, but I have been known to make haggis lasagne, haggis quesadillas and use them as a stuffing for chicken breasts. There's an indian restaurant 500 yards from here that makes delicious haggis pakora and samosas.

:ok:

rgbrock1
7th Feb 2013, 14:10
MagnusP, you savage! :}:}:}

MadsDad
7th Feb 2013, 14:38
Magnus, those Haggis recipes got anything to do with Tony Singh? Heard about his take on local produce in Glasgow.

And years ago I acted as driver for a mate on a pick-up run. We set off from Somerset at midnight, drove to Inverness, loaded a motorbike he had bought into the car, drove to the nearest town, bought some Haggis and then drove back to Somerset (total journey time about 19 hours. Bit of a strange day it was).

MagnusP
7th Feb 2013, 14:56
MadsDad, it's not one of his places, but I suspect he may have had some influence. It's called Suruchi, I think.

OFSO
7th Feb 2013, 15:23
Balls, Brass Monkey, navy origin.

Describes well the weather here today, force nine blowing and 5ºc. Just been out to cut wood, had to stop, can't feel fingers.

AlpineSkier
7th Feb 2013, 16:40
force nine blowing and 5ºc. Just been out to cut wood, had to stop,

OFSO, I'm disappointed. You've laboured in Stafford, toiled in Darmstadt and now a little sawing under the Black Mountain is demasiado. Tsk,tsk

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th Feb 2013, 16:50
Force 7 and -21 here. Staying in looking at Caribbean webcams.

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Feb 2013, 17:07
Calm and 'kin hot here, off to Samui in the morning :-)

Forgot to add Haggis is a joy to enjoy and if you have never tried it best you sort that out :ok:

OFSO
7th Feb 2013, 18:38
OFSO, I'm disappointed

This is material for a New Thread, however it's interesting how often a colleague or friend who has lived and worked in places where I have not been but have always considered to have mild and temperate weather has disallusioned me.

For example:

"I've never been so cold as the winters we spent at Wheelus AFB, Libya" - a colleague from the N of England.

"I've never been so cold as the nights we spent in Singapore" - English colleague, ex Grey Funnel Line

"If you think this is cold" (in Germany in winter) "you should visit my homeland and go in the desert at night in winter" - Saudi Arabian visiting colleague.

Today it was so cold here that on the building site at the end of our road, the foreman's spoken instructions to his crew froze as they came out of his mouth and blew away up the road before the lads could catch them and throw them into the fire where they would melt and allow them to hear what he said. Honest.

Spain, well N. Eastern Spain, is b---- cold tonight and b---- windy. Forecast tomorrow is more of the same with snow down to 300 metres.

G&T ice n slice
7th Feb 2013, 21:40
Temperature & Perception

many many eons past one was brought up in a nice hot s.american country.
Then aroundabout 1955 we got a Sears superstore.

It had many huge airco machines for forced ventillation. We went along one evening and it was FREEZING in there. The staff were shivering, the customers were shivering, I mean it was really, really cold.

Since the Sears big boss was (a) American and (b) a friend of dad's we tracked him down and made the comment "it's a bit chilly in here"

to which the answer, in a sort of despairing semi-wail was "I know - and I've set the thermostats to 80 degrees and they don't go any higher"

as an appropos...

we moved later to another slightly less warm S.American country just south of the Equator, and put the big outdoor spring-coil thermometer up.

It read 98 degrees

we put it in the oven for 20 minutes at gas mark 5

it read 98 degrees

we put it in the deep freeze over night

it read 98 degrees

It had spent 13 years in the outside under cover & in the shade and finally the 'spring' didn't spring anymore...

gosh, I am just soooo boring

thing
7th Feb 2013, 23:09
A couple that spring to mind that haven't been mentioned are

Grips my shit-annoys me

Life's a bitch and then you die-beloved of discip WO's,

Mrs thing is used to me still using military slang 17 years after I left. I can't think that she uses any herself but she fully understands all of the stuff I still use. I still fly so using terms like 'standby' or 'say again' on the phone are in common usage here. I also say 'Clear taxi Sandwell Drive hold' when my 7 year old grandson is in the car to which he replies 'Call when ready to depart.'

Another one that seemed to be used only by the Harrier force was BONA.

Anyone who has spent time at Mt Pleasant may remember the mothership which was the female enclave....

Arm out the window
8th Feb 2013, 00:21
A few Aussie ones that spring to mind (may well be in common use elsewhere but haven't seen them in this thread yet):

Toilet humour:
I'm off to give birth to a loadmaster (or pilot, or FLTENG as the case might be),
I'm off to Cat 5 the dunny (or U/S the crapper);

Trades:
Black handers - engines/airframes/gun plumbers;
Gay trades - avionics/radios/instruments

Formation brief:
Kick the tyres, light the fires, first one airborne leads, brief on guard.

Service police:
Elephant trackers (as in, couldn't track a wounded elephant through the snow);