PDA

View Full Version : Help me! (calls disillusioned PPL student)

Token Bird
18th Jul 2001, 13:44
OK, here's the deal.

I took this week off in the hope of doing some long navs including, hopefully, the QXC. However, the weather is ****ty and it seems I have wasted a weeks leave for bugger all.

I have had it with trying to learn to fly in Britain. I was planning on going abroad to hour-build later in the year, but now it looks as if I'll have to finish the PPL abroad too.

Does anybody know of any schools where I can both complete a JAA PPL and build about 50 hours relatively cheaply?

Ta,
TB

Manflex55
18th Jul 2001, 15:12
GPS Approach,

Maybe 345 days of sunshine (didn't count) but certainly not 345 days of warm Temps. I remember freezing in L.A. early April. Personnally, I prefer FL & its pretty standard weather.

TB,

Did U have a look in the "Flyer" magazine ? Lots of JAA-approved flight schools based in the US advertise in there. Otherwise check the previous threads (try the search engine), this topic is a regular wannabe issue & U can get an idea of what to expect (moneywise) for the kinda deal U're looking for.

MF

GPS Approach
18th Jul 2001, 15:13
TB,

Try Anglo American in California, www.flyaaa.com (http://www.flyaaa.com) they do JAA PPL's and are fairly cheap for hour building. Plus 345 days a year sunshine! Hardly any rain or thunderstorms in California.

Regards,

GPS. :cool:

Eno
18th Jul 2001, 17:07
TB

Are you looking to go professional sometime in the future?

If so I would look at a school like PanAm in Fort Pierce. I visited them briefly in 2000 and they did'nt look half bad. Alternatively you could fly in somewhere like New Zealand or South Africa where time is really cheap and I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) will issue you with an ICAO PPL which, when added to 150hrs total time is enough for entry to the ATPL theory course. Even with the flights included, it should work out cheapish with the current exchange rate.

There are alot of places in the US that don't deserve your money so if you do decide on The US make sure you choose carefully.

I've got some experience of flying in the US so mail me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help

Cheers
Eno

Token Bird
19th Jul 2001, 16:26
Aah, the search facility is back. I did not realise.

I thought about AAA, but have heard they have had a few 'incidents' recently.

Does anyone know if there is anywhere in SA which do JAA PPLs?

TB

JetPac
19th Jul 2001, 22:05
I managed to do my QXC on Monday. However, the forecast looked better than it actually turned out to be so it was a case of dodging a few showers on the way. It was good experience though. I'm in a similar position as you Token Bird in that I was planning to hour build this summer in the States but due to the weather it looks as though I'll have to complete my PPL out there also. I'm visiting relatives in San Francisco and the nearest CAA approved FTO is in Los Angeles - UKFT. I've just put a post up asking for info about it.

avrodamo
20th Jul 2001, 04:53
Get youself out to Britannia Flight Centre in Florida. They do JAR PPL and hour building