PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where the 'Big Scotsman' fom 72 is?

Big Green Arrow
17th Apr 2002, 23:18
Am wondering if the Big Man is back in circulation, and if so where he is.

The English Passenger
18th Apr 2002, 05:21
BGA

I realise that anonymity is key to this site, but I don't think you need to protect his name on your post....tell people who he is and then you may get some response.

I remember more than one big scotsman on 72!:D

teeteringhead
18th Apr 2002, 20:34
Can he possibly mean he who was once (allegedly) the only AFC in Barlinnie??

peabo
18th Apr 2002, 21:28
I'm a big scotsman and i was on 72.....

ShyTorque
18th Apr 2002, 21:49
I take it you mean the one who used to play cricket for Scotland and was last heard of paying his debt to society ;) ?

Axel-Flo
19th Apr 2002, 01:13
Well for those of you asking for more details on who he is you probably don't know him. "There can be only one!" with or without a pony tail and mess kit,

BEagle
19th Apr 2002, 06:25
I wonder whether that's the large Jockistani mate who was sent to hold with us many years ago whilst waiting for a court martial - allegedly he'd 'taken someone around the back' and given them a bit of a slap. Definitely had a 'playful' manner - peeing into a pint pot and then necking the contents somewhat electrified the audience he had in one of the messes in the Islas Malvinas.....

He was a Wessex driver with a 'direct approach' to problems with the 'players' in NI - his war stories are probably still classified but the blokes who worked with him wouldn't have had him any other way!

He'd obviously got a loyal following; we once arrived somewhere and there was a message waiting for him from a previous SH boss of his offering much support....

UPDATE: I now learn that this is indeed the amply proportioned Jockistani I thought it was. If he's reading this - all the best and I wish you'd decked the stupid little $od of an AARC who was such a prat in the Islas Malvinas all those years ago! 'Seagull' (throw rocks at it to make it want to fly), as we called him, would have thoroughly deserved it!!

Big Green Arrow
20th Apr 2002, 20:53
Yes, Beags that's the man...a useful man on your side, but if not a thorn in it!

Does anyone know where he is..I'd like to get in touch.

6nandneutral
21st Apr 2002, 00:04
I flew with this guy many times, what a character, great guy, but it was always a good idea to be on his side. He did not suffer fools gladly. Last I heard was that he was in the states flying for the FBI, but that was at least 6 years ago.

teeteringhead
22nd Apr 2002, 12:33
Axel-Flo
I'm sorry, but I'm in pedantic git mode at the moment. I think you'll find that with mess kit the hair was worn in a french plait, rather than a pony-tail. And it was arranged for him on his retirement d-i-n by the daughter of the OTHER sqn cdr (now a blanket stacker??)

tee-head

Arkroyal
23rd Apr 2002, 08:22
I assume we speak of the guy named after a piece of waterways architecture.

'Southampton rules' and tanks around the Aldergrove snooker table are sweet(?) memories.

Famous quote regarding the wessex torquemeter: 'if you were only supposed to pull three-two, it wouldn't go up to four, would it?'

Ramp Monkey
23rd Apr 2002, 21:10
BGA- Don't know his whereabouts myself but ring up Leconfield ask for the man you'll know as "Gerome the Dome" and he may be able to shed some light on the matter. Another legend now back in the fold. Ah sweet memories of the swift ..... ;)

EESDL
24th Apr 2002, 12:12
Saved a couple of first tourists from going mad by flying us over to his mates house on Loch Lomond. Would have punched the Boss if he hadn' t done that. Great weekend, spent most of it in a drinking den in Glasgow....don't recall much else:-) That was the same Boss who had the scottish person (not the other large one running his own heli business down Exeter way) seated at the end of Top Table on his RAF Dining-Out when some ginger slapper of a holding officer was dead centre. Some FOLA bread rolls later, he moved down to be with those who valued his contribution.

He gave up the FBI job a while ago.

he gave some lippy comment to my missus during our first night on 72. She told him to pi55 off, mates ever since!

Mr Nitrox
25th Apr 2002, 11:40
I recall Scottie comming to a 'street' party in his DJ once, and getting a tad peeved with the boys throwing ale about. Seem to remember him taking one of the Puma lads outside for a word and ending up on his 6! Great days!

Arkroyal
25th Apr 2002, 14:07
EESDL, 'Our' first night.

Very Crab. :D

Big Green Arrow
28th Apr 2002, 08:41
Just putting it back to the top...surely someone knows where he is?

BGA

EESDL
29th Apr 2002, 12:13
Ark Royal
Stand by for Emergency Banter:

"Atleast our ladies are female"

End of Emergency Banter
:-)

Arkroyal
1st May 2002, 16:59
Taking hits........ going down:D :D :D

Mmmmnice
1st May 2002, 19:23
Sorry on several counts: firstly arriving late to the thread, secondly for not understanding why we can't say Scot Weir - is it the thrill of the hunt or simple paranoia? when I was a lad the name was not a dirty word and he was hiding from no-one; least of all a bit of banter. I wouldn't be surprised if he could not be bothered with monitoring this means - unless internet cafes start serving ' heavy'. Add another voice - "Scotty are you out there?" :)

Dunhovrin
2nd May 2002, 10:28
Teeteringheed: Can I asssume from your post that the big man's hairdresser failed nav training?

To All: The thing that impressed me about the man was that he didn't let his abject scorn of the 230 Tiger-rah-rah stop him from coming with us to a Tiger Meet in '93.

I seem to remember sneebling all the way back in ***** wx with him on a stretcher down the back sleeping off the weekend. His sole contribution to the trip was to open the ferry tank cock after an hour - then he rolled over and went back to sleep.

Percycat
3rd May 2002, 18:32
If anyone does get in touch with Scotty can you thank him for the knee-board he left in the baggage room at Aldergrove mess.

I am sure he would like to know it went to a bad home!:cool:

Dunhovrin
5th May 2002, 19:20
And the toys above the false ceiling (including a set of NVGs)

Big Green Arrow
7th May 2002, 18:25
and all the 'spank and slap' contact mags he left behind too...you should have seen some of the howlers that had been 'circled' in biro!...still it made good reading at R850 for a while!

teeteringhead
11th May 2002, 07:26
Dunhovrin:
affirm. The young lady in question was ''reselected'' (pc for chopped) from navigating and now stacks blankets/fluffs duvets (I know not where). Sorry for late response, the detachment machine was giving read only access to pprune for a week (suspicious!) and wouldn't let me reply! Hope this works.

Orange Whip
11th May 2002, 22:55
I've heard the rumour a thousand times - but a while ago I spoke to somebody who actually phoned around the secure accommodation establishments and found no trace. So I wonder, does anybody REALLY know if he spent or is spending time at HM pleasure.

P.S. Anybody remember the night he broke a future Jag pilot's nose in the ante-room?

teeteringhead
12th May 2002, 06:36
IF the Barlinnie/wherever story has/had any truth about it, (and as they say in North Britain: "I hae ma doots") then surely he'd be "on the out" by now. I certainly first heard the rumour about 6 or 7 years ago, which is not a bad stretch. The original question of this thresd has not yet been anwered: surely someone knows the current location of Weir R. S.:confused:

Big Green Arrow
25th May 2002, 10:05
Just thought I'd have one last stab at finding him!

OOps 'stab' was a bad word to use!

Kiting for Boys
25th May 2002, 15:46
Wrong Scot

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Temple/5851/

More Scot

http://www.rampantscotland.com/humour/blhumpipes.htm