PDA

View Full Version : False advertising or not???

FRIDAY
17th Apr 2002, 20:52
As spoken about in a previous thread (I want answers now), I wish to put this question on its own thread in the hope someone will know the score.

There is only three FTO's in the states which are approved to offer jaa trainning according to the caa website
However as many of you will have seen in magazines and on the web there are more then three FTO's in the states offering fully jaa approved training with some offering all modules including the CPL module and IR module although portion of the IR is finished in the uk. The FTO's like Britannia, Naples, International flight training, European flight traininig, WMU and no doubt I have forgotten some all offer jaa trainning some offering more then others.
I will take EFT for example with all modules fully jaa approved (advertised), except the atpl groundschool is taken back in uk on your own accord. The ppl/imc/night/mep/ and hrs completed before groundschool, on completion of groundschool back to EFT(florida) for CPL module and IR with latter of IR back in uk.
On speaking with them on the phone all seems to be well with no problems in license recognition with jaa license gained with them on return to uk.Quote "Why would we advertise fully JAA appoved training if we did not offer it".
PLEASE DO NOT take this as a FTO bashing post I am not trying to undermine any of these FTO's, in fact I am considering training with EFT but I do wish to have this clarified.
Am I missing the definitive list of US FTO's with JAA approval somewhere else or what?, this seems to be of confusion for a lot of wannabe's I know, so please help.
Is it false advertising or sneeky use of wording, by this I mean is there a difference between JAA approved and JAR FCL compliant,
If not whats the simple answer????:confused: ????

Grafter
17th Apr 2002, 21:10
Hi Friday

I contacted Britannia Flight Centre about this and this is the reply that i recieved (cut and pasted):

As for the approval our school was visited by CAA inspector in February. Now we are being visited again towards the end of this month. All our paper work has been approved. It is only matter of CAA inspector to visit us once and charge us more money (typical CAA). I am sure we will have our single engine approval by the end of this month. Please keep checking CAA's website and hopefully our name will be there soon.

This is the address for all the approved FTO's, i hope that this helps in some way :)

CAA Approved FTO's (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/SRG_FCL_ApprovedFTOs.pdf)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Apr 2002, 00:25
FRIDAY,

I have seen several posts about schools no longer being JAA Approved.

The CAA is a little behind in updating its website due to all the changes which took place on 01 April 2002. They expect to have the Approved FTOs updated by the end of the week.

Naples Air Center, Inc. is an Approved FTO. Our certificate number is is UK/FTO-211. Our two certificates read:

The Civil Aviation Authority, pursuant to the powers contained in Article 26(7) of Air Navigation Order 2000 confirms that the above named organization (Naples Air Center) complies in all respects with the Joint Aviation Requirements (JAR-FCL) relating to the establishment if a Training Organization and is empowered to operate as an approved Flight Training Organization for the following courses

PRIVATE PILOT LICENCE (AEROPLANES)
SINGLE-PILOT MULTI-ENGINE PISTON (LAND-PLANE) CLASS RATING

The Course shall be conducted at NAPLES AIRPORT, FLORIDA

This Certificate, unless canceled, suspended or revoked shall continue in effect until 31 DECEMBER 2002

Any approved FTO will be able to produce the documents which will read the same as what I quoted above, to prove they are compliant. Every student should check to make sure the school they are going to attend is compliant before start any course.

Best of Luck,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

<<<Edited for Typo Correction>>>>

MikeSamuel
18th Apr 2002, 20:52
Thanks for that NAC, I was about to e-mail you with the question above, but now my question is answered! I may be over later in the year to complete my PPL :)

Regards,

MS

xabi200
19th Apr 2002, 11:44
hey guys,

check out my post in the thread "where can I work now"

Check out the JAA web site as well, none of UK CAA schools are there.

If you do your training outside UK don't expect your licence to be recognised in all JAA countries. You'll basically have a JAR licence for the UK but an old CAP509 for the rest of europe.

If you only expect to work in the UK then fine. But bare in mind that outside training won't give you a 100% JAR FCL licence, it won't be valid in most northern european countries.

cheers.

GoneWest
19th Apr 2002, 20:23
Grafter...turned out to be true, too.

Britannia have their approval certificate in the office.

The only one I do know of that CLAIMS to be approved - but I can find no record of - is the new "Rex Air" at Naples, Florida.

BTW - anybody planning to do a course on the East coast of Florida....DO NOT pay in advance. There may be more "moves" afoot.

FRIDAY
19th Apr 2002, 21:08
Thanx everyone for posting so far, some useful info.
As far as I know Rexair is the FTO where Multiflight send you for you ppl/imc/night and structured hour building and from what I gather If you train with Multiflight and rexair the faa/jaa licensing conversion is included in the course price.

notice
19th Apr 2002, 21:26
Maybe some schools are slack and stupid or new and naive- they might still get approved- but you'd better believe the CAA (they are the regulatory body).
In the office, bureaucrats, waiting for another visit etc. bull**** is no good whatsoever.
Friday is correct -there were only 3 (+ another in Africa) schools approved by the CAA before their deadline, so training elsewhere was worthless.

DesiPilot
20th Apr 2002, 00:12
Dear Friday and Grafter,

I speak on behalf of Britannia Flight Centre. As mentioned by GoneWest, we received our letter of approval today. Our FTO number is 227. I am sure our school's name will be on CAA's website once they update the list.

Cheers,
Jatin Gaur
Head of Training
Britannia Flight Centre

GPS Approach
20th Apr 2002, 00:23
Notice,

Judging by the content and nature of most of your posts, one might be led to believe that you are affiliated to a certain FTO based just north of Daytona. :D

Anyway regardless your information is wrong, as you so succintly put it "Maybe some schools are slack and stupid or new and naive- they might still get approved- but you'd better believe the CAA (they are the regulatory body)." Well if you bothered to click on the link on Grafter's earlier post which takes you straight to the CAA page, I think you'll find there are 5 FTO's listed as approved for training in the USA.;)

Facts Not Fiction Pls
20th Apr 2002, 02:03
Notice

If you know so much then you are also aware that all the schools that were not approved by April 1st could grandfather their students in as long as they started the course of training before April 1st ie it all still counts even if they were not approved for a couple of weeks!

Friday

How can you complete a JAA PPL Night and IMC at a school when they do not have approval? Surely it doesn't matter if a school is sending you students but that the facility itself if approved?

FRIDAY
20th Apr 2002, 15:29
Facts Not Fiction Pls
I don't believe I was suggesting you can complete a jaa ppl/night etc at a school if it was not approved, in relation to rexair and multiflight I never said rexair was appoved BUT I did say there was an issue of license conversion which is included in the price, If you have any doubts have a look at the multiflight website.

My initial post was in relation to whether or not certain FTO's in the states were in fact jaa approved as they advertised because they were not shown on caa website.
Sorry to Richard from NAC and Jatin of Britannia, Both of these FTO's I was pretty sure that there was approval although CAA had to update its webpage. The FTO that mainly puzzled me was EFT but YES they are fully approved for what they advertise and not a bad word have I heard about them yet.

GoneWest would you care to elaborate on what the moves that are a foot may be in east coast Florida ????

DesiPilot
20th Apr 2002, 17:33
Friday,

I will second on EFT. I went there to do my JAA CPL and FI(R) course. Trevor was my FIC instructor and Ben Wood did the CPL instruction. I personally think that it is an excellent organisation. The quality of training is very good and if I were to do it again, I'd most definitely go back to them.

Cheers,
Jatin