PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean Aviation Training Center (CATC)

liverbird
17th Jan 2013, 21:59
Hi folks, I was looking at doing some flying in Jamaica at the Caribbean Aviation Training Center (CATC) in Kingston, but when they told me the price I was in shock,:eek: am still lying on the floor as I write this. Basically they are charging nearly twice the amount I would pay here in the United Kingdom, and 3 times on what they charge in the United States, considering the US is only a short hop away.:ooh:
As this school is now the only one in Jamaica, there is no competition as Wings Jamaica is no more. Could some body tell me who has experience with CATC Jamaica, what I really should be paying for an hours flying with or without an instructor on C172.

Many thanks :ok:

BlueSkyLife
18th Jan 2013, 12:51
When I was first interested in flying also, my heart skipped a beat when I was told the price and school leaving requirements back in 2003. This is how I proved my case to the US embassy and convinced them that at this cost I could get my PPL and IR in the States for what CATC charges. Last I spoke with them (2011), AVGAS was at 8USD/gallon, so thats why the high price.

Your better off in the states paying (depending and who you fly with) 110-130 solo and (130-145 dual) for a C172. The east coast flight institutes have the highest prices, while midwest places are bit lower.

Good Luck.

HEMS driver
18th Jan 2013, 13:24
It's Jamaica. Their scams are only second to Nigeria. I used to live there.

Check Airman
20th Jan 2013, 07:33
Have a friend who does some flying there occasionally. From my understanding, you do not want to go there. Much better off in the US.

liverbird
21st Jan 2013, 20:36
Why not! is it the prices, or was it something else? can somebody explain why the Avgas prices are so expensive. The government need to sort that out and get the prices down, and promote aviation to more people on the island. Am sure i only paid $120 an hour at wings Jamaica back in 2005 with an instructor. But $330 an hour is a joke, seriously!!!!!! i can fly to the states for that, but dont have the time as i am visiting Family in Kingston.
Is there a local flying rate at CATC??????