PDA

View Full Version : Captain MAP Miller

Rocket Polish
17th Apr 2002, 19:01
Earlier today I was informed that Mappy has been fatally injured in a motor racing accident in the Philippines.
His memorial service will be held in Hong Kong on Friday week (26th April).
There must be many Ppruners, who know him and would also wish to pay their condolencies.
Mappy was my first Commercial pilot student at CSE Oxford and later on we moved together to Dan-Air on the HS748 at Aberdeen.
I am going to miss him, like so many others.

Hogwash
17th Apr 2002, 20:37
Rocket Polish, Thanks for your post.

I wonder if you have any more details of what happened. MAP was one of my wifes cousins and is devastated by this news.

It seems that the larger part of the family in Scotland and NZ had not heared about his death.

Our thoughts go to his wife and little ones.

Tartan Giant
17th Apr 2002, 21:13
This is tragic news, and I am so sorry to hear of it.

He was a lovely guy; once again we have "lost" a great pilot and friend.

May he RIP and his family find strength in the love that must surround them.

In deep saddness.

TG

goathead
18th Apr 2002, 07:25
he is not dead yet !
presently he is being flown back from the Phillipines on life support, so how can they announce a memorial service when he aint dead !

Hogwash
18th Apr 2002, 12:16
The latest that I have heared(and I stress this is not FACT) is that he has been flown to HK and that only life support is keeping his body functioning. I believe that the plan is to turn off this equipment once in HK. It cannot be done in the Phillipines due to the RC church. This is why a service has already been planned.

If any one knows more of what happened or news that is current please post it here as my wife is obviously interested

Hugh Jorgen
19th Apr 2002, 11:54
Mappy's cervical bone in his skull was damaged, as I understand this protects the brain stem. Technically still alive, however initial brain scans were negative. He is now in HK and life support has been removed. A truly sad day and thoughts must go to SP and the girls.
Mappy had a huge circle of friends, and I don't know anybody that had a bad word about him. A real man amongst men who did more in his years than most of us could manage in ten lifetimes.
On a brighter note, he left instructions that on his death take out £5000, find a New Orleans Jazz Band a very large bottle of scotch and everybody was to have a knees up - typical Mappy!!

Thanks for everything Mappy

Rest In Peace my friend

jagman
19th Apr 2002, 13:00
A truly sad day. We'll all miss Mike - a true gent that everyone thought would go on to even greater things than he already achieved. Thoughts with SP and all family.

skua
19th Apr 2002, 13:58
Is this the same Mike Miller who was a Cathay training capt, and whom I met last year on the Lon-Sydney?

Whether or not, condolences to the family.

Kubota
19th Apr 2002, 18:02
skua...sadly, one and the same.

Daxon
19th Apr 2002, 18:38
Mike was declared dead at 0820z today (19th April)

We all will miss him much.

PRB44
20th Apr 2002, 02:37
Knew MAP through my school years at Clifton and we were best
freinds.That was when we first came up with his nickname.
Both of us yearned to be pilots,and leaving school we both
wondered where we would next meet.I failed,due to being colour blind,but knew he would make it.I did meet him again when I
worked for Monarch as a dispatcher and he leapt down the stairs of a Dan 1-11 as an F/O.After one or twenty beers in the Luton
flying club,it was obvious he would go far.
A wonderful chap,and a great freind.It now feels like my schooldays were only yesterday.
My deep condolences to all his near and dear.His spirit will live on.

Sick Squid
20th Apr 2002, 12:46
Very sad to see this thread... Mike was well liked and respected by those who knew him. I can without reservation speak for all my ex-"BA" SO friends and pass on all our condolences to his family and close friends.

One of the best. Respect.

paddy_22002
23rd Apr 2002, 09:46
Sick Squid,

Can't agree more! I truly enjoyed flying with MAPPY during the time with CX. A great man with a great outlook and approach to life and flying!

Condolances to his family.

:(

HotDog
23rd Apr 2002, 12:24
The Funeral Service for Mike Miller will take place at St John’s Cathedral, Hong Kong at 1:00pm this Friday 26th April 2002.

jamiecurry
24th Apr 2002, 23:44
I was a close friend of the family (Sarahs side) and new of Mike well during the short time I knew of him (only about the last 5 years really), a terrific guy and one who had similar interests as me (flying and cars). I would like to say that his family will miss him dearly as the world out there is one big family and it's not really that bigger world.

Small world out there - make it what you will, be happy enjoy life to its fullest.

James Curry CSA BAW British Airways T4

EMB Bras
25th Apr 2002, 08:32
Very sad to hear.
I followed the London to Sydney Air Race last year on the web with great interest and particularly "The Spirit of Kaitak" flown by Mike and his crew.
RIP

For those interested, I found a couple of links to the Air Race and have attached a Picture and a breif story of the Spirit Of Kaitak.

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/parchive/2001/Z2001-Apr-10/www.airrace.com.au/skt4.htm

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/nph-arch/2001/Z2001-Feb-5/http://www.airrace.com.au/home.html

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/parchive/2001/Z2001-Apr-10/www.airrace.com.au/image/pic_paint.jpg

luna landing
26th Apr 2002, 23:05
I was very sad to hear the dreadful news about Mike. I followed the London - Sydney closely as a friend of mine was also in it. I have passed on the sad news to her, and she did ask what happened. A car accident I believe - does anyone really know?

HotDog
27th Apr 2002, 02:22
I am told Mike was struck on the head by a detached wheel of a preceeding car involved in a collision. Mike sustained fatal brain injuries.

Tartan Giant
18th May 2002, 18:25
Dear Friends,

Be advised, that there will be a Memorial Service for "Mappy"

Saturday 15th June, 2002
11:00 am
Clifton College Chapel, Clifton, Bristol

Best wishes,

TG

sailor
20th May 2002, 13:29
Very sad news. Flew with him @ ABZ on the 748. Great guy. My condolences to his family.