View Full Version : American to unveil new livery

Just a spotter
17th Jan 2013, 14:31
Story by Bloomberg, 17th January 2013

American Airlines, whose livery introduced in 1967 is the oldest among major U.S. carriers, will unveil changes today that may include eliminating its signature polished aluminium finish.

AMR (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-17/amr-s-american-to-unveil-changes-to-45-year-old-livery.html?cmpid=yhoo)

JAS

ARNSpoty
17th Jan 2013, 15:19
If they remove the aluminium livery, then i'll leave this planet...
I was so looking forward seeing this on their first 77W :*

PAXboy
17th Jan 2013, 15:38
It is the 787 that has forced their hand as the composite finish cannot be polished. I dare say that they have experimented with paints that mirror the polish. Pun intended! :p

Hotel Tango
17th Jan 2013, 15:52
A little search revealed this:

Airport Spotting Blog » Blog Archive » American Airlines new livery – first look (http://www.airportspotting.com/american-airlines-livery/)

Smoketrails
17th Jan 2013, 16:26
Just my 2 cents worth..
:yuk:

SpringHeeledJack
17th Jan 2013, 17:13
It looks a bit like LAN Chile used to be. It's different and definitely waving the flag!

SHJ

ARNSpoty
17th Jan 2013, 17:15
Guess we'll just have to leave it for a few months, then we'll get probably used to it, just like the united/continental one:zzz:

ARNSpoty
17th Jan 2013, 17:37
Photos: Boeing 737-823 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/American-Airlines/Boeing-737-823/2214582/L/)

Guess they kept something hidden from us:* my metal is gone

Peter47
17th Jan 2013, 20:17
Didn't AA have trouble with unpainted tailplanes on their A300s and they painted them grey. It might be cheaper to do this with the 787 fleet.

What if they merge with US Airways? (Big if I know.) Is this likely to be the livery of the combined airline?

airsmiles
18th Jan 2013, 08:29
I could just about live with the fuselage, but I personally find it very under-whelming. That tail though is straight out if playschool. Is it meant to be a flag? Too garish for me. Overall the image lacks style but it's a very personal thing.

PAXboy
19th Jan 2013, 12:38
Given that they have to paint a composite a/c all over - that dramatically increases the amount of paint - so they would save paint (money + weight) by removing the horizontal stripes.

The tail is an attempt at branding that might well work. perhaps they are going to change the logo and images across all their press, staionery and so forth. Either way, I doubt it's going to affect the pax.

Smoketrails
19th Jan 2013, 15:37
......it's starting to grow on me! Make me look right plonker regarding my 1st post on this subject..:O

ZOOKER
19th Jan 2013, 16:38
The people who 'design' this garbage, are they the same people who tell us that music by Adele and Coldplay is worth listening to?
In a word, SAD.

arem
19th Jan 2013, 16:48
What's with the 3D glasses as a logo?

ARNSpoty
19th Jan 2013, 19:12
it's starting to grow on me

it's just like for those who complain about the new facebook interfaces, how they'll never get used to it... sooner or later it won't be that bad:rolleyes:

AdamFrisch
19th Jan 2013, 19:28
Long overdue, I think. The old livery was terrible on anything later than a propliner. Most airlines had changed profile 5 times when AA just stuck to the same. It's still one of the worst airlines in the US, but this might help them feel a little bit fresher. Now all they need to do pay some attention to the interior and remove all the seats that still have ash trays.....:ouch:

ARNSpoty
19th Jan 2013, 19:42
Most airlines had changed profile 5 times when AA just stuck to the same.

livery-wise the did they right choice, to stick to the "old one" as long as possible.. despite the interior, they could have picked up the pace slightly better

Desert185
20th Jan 2013, 16:39
I like it...but then I am a proud American. The airline, however, is not my favorite.

It seems airlines in the past who have suffered financial difficulties have tried to reinvent themselves by changing their liveries and crew uniforms. There's more to self-improvement than a bit of "lipstick", though. I hope American survives.