PDA

View Full Version : Flying and Leadership Experience

HARERJJ
17th Apr 2002, 18:44
Hi all

Just wondering around the forum reading messages and seeing that a lot of you guys/gals have flying experience. I am looking to re-apply to the RAF(for pilot) next March after I was rejected in February due to my lack of leadership credentials (not potential)

I have and will over the coming year address that particular problem by doing the following

1. Have joined Air Training Corps as Civilian Instructor
2. I am midway through First Aid course with a view to joining The Andrew's Ambulance Association
3. Undertaking the Classic Outward Bound Course (three weeks) in July
4. Starting the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award (I'm involved in sufficient activities for this to be easy)
5. Upon completion of the First Aid course, seek entry to the Special Police
If anyone knows of any other activities I should be doing to enhance my leadership skills please tell me. Especially those which the military like to see on someones app' form.

The main point of this post however is this, I have no flying experience whatsoever. Unfortunately, at university I had no idea what I wanted to do for a career. If I'd known when I finished uni that I would want to be a RAF or Navy pilot, I would have joined a University Air Squadron and went to the ATC whilst at school.

Now, having just 9 months to go before I re-apply to the RAF (I'll be seeing a Lieutenant Commander from the Royal Navy within two months for a filter interview for the RN) I would like to know if I should be getting off my butt and seeking(not Sea King, haha) to gain flying experience prior to my arrival at the AFCO next year??? If yes, what should I do?, who should I see?, where should I go?

Any comments regarding the questions posed in this message or indeed any helpful advice, will be received most graciously.

Thank you very much!!:) :):)

sincerely
Paul

p.s - I'm 22y/o with an Honours Degree in Physics. I live in Scotland, near two RN Bases - Faslane and Coulport (just thought I'd add that info just in case it influenced some of you good folks' responses)

Spiceman
17th Apr 2002, 20:23
Hi Paul,

Although the RAF is obviously your first choice, I thought that you might appreciate my perspective should you apply to the RN. I have been recently accepted to go into the pilot stream.

With regards flying experience: at my Navy selection, there was a whole range of flying experience amongst those applying for pilot. Some had been in the ATC, one was a civilian flying instructor, whereas I had minimal flying experience. All of my group got through the selection, which demonstrates that flying experience is not a sole deciding factor at selection.

However, I was told by a RN friend who had sat on some AIB's that it was important to get at least *some* flying experience. Obviously not everybody can join the ATC at university, but anyone can get themselves down to a local airfield and have a go. Sitting in front of an interviewer and saying "I want to fly planes but I've never been in one" is going to make things a lot harder for you. Most air schools do trial flights - it might be worth thinking about. Also look into 'orientation' visits or even flights (!)with the RAF/RN/AAC or anyone else who'll let you near an aircraft.

Good luck!

WE Branch Fanatic
17th Apr 2002, 23:19
Can't help you with the flying bit, but it sounds as if you are doing the right sort of things to develop leadership abilities.

On a "slight" tangent, go to the new SHAR thread, there are some suggestions there that might be of interest to you.

MilOps
18th Apr 2002, 05:54
mate, another area you might consider is applying to an ATC Gliding School as an adult staff member. I'm regular RAF and devote as much of my weekend time, wife and aunty betty permitting, to my VGS. There are two in scotland, one at Arbroath and the other is near Edinburgh (if memory serves my correctly). As you are already in the ATC system the nause of having to get the clearancies will not be an issue. Most gliding schools are screaming out for volunteers and although the instruction is geared up for the cadets, adult members still need training. If you give HQAir Cadets a ring they will give you all the relevent details.

bad livin'
18th Apr 2002, 21:04
Spiceman - the suggestion that previous flying is seen to be desirable to pass a board is not accurate. It will, if you are fortunate enough to scab a ride, give you the sensations of being airborne and of being around mil aircrew...but many people that apply (and suceed) have no previous experience in the air. Remember that at any board it is your desire and suitability to hold a commission that is really being tested.

The activities described above certainly look pretty impressive and in conjunction with the right attitude, knowledge, a confident speaking manner and leadership potential should be good ALONGSIDE aptitude pass marks. It's worth remembering that people have passed EFT on their UAS and failed to pass aptitude or get a commission....

Best of luck!!

BL

MAD Boom
19th Apr 2002, 14:18
Hello Paul,

The previous reply is absolutely correct.
It is the commissioning aspect which is important to the board at OASC. Flying experience will only add a little weight compared to the desire for the post, and your leadership potential, and by the list you have given, you are well suited in my opinion.
As long as you pass that part, the only things that could prevent you of a pilot slot are if you fail the aptitude, or if it is not your number one choice, but obviously that is not the case.
The main thing they will look at this year is what you have done to improve on your last performance.
I too am in the same situation, although I am RAF rearcrew at present- was a little too laid back last year, but hoping to make more of an impact this time.
Good luck with the application, will maybe see you there

HARERJJ
23rd Apr 2002, 13:43
Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. The advice has been very helpful and your words have been kind and encouraging.

cheers!

Paul