PDA

View Full Version : Chathams Pacific no more as of 3/3/13

Dash8capt
17th Jan 2013, 04:24
As per the website Chathams Pacific Home (http://www.chathamspacific.com/) ceasing services on the 3rd of march due to a competitor.

TBM-Legend
17th Jan 2013, 05:39
The joys of third world business.:ugh: When will PNG succumb to a Chinese airline or the like in exchange for fishing or timber or mineral rights?

riseagainst
17th Jan 2013, 05:54
Very sad news for the Tongan community, tourists and employees. Chatham pacific provided stability! Will soon see how the new venture goes.

27/09
17th Jan 2013, 08:08
Who is behind the new venture?

Obviously only room for one operator. It's always a pity to see the incumbent lose out especially if they're doing a good job, which I think Air Chathams were.

Jabawocky
17th Jan 2013, 11:14
At least they are smart enough to pull out and not go broke.

Probably be back when the newbie goes broke:hmm:

Mach E Avelli
17th Jan 2013, 20:47
The newbie won't make any money, but they won't go broke. Another flag carrying airline is being created to stroke the egos of various government ministers. Propped up by foreign aid, in return for a vote in the U.N. From the Chinese angle, it is neat coercion, because every year the Tongans will need another hand-out to keep it going, so the votes will keep on keeping on.
Private enterprise could never compete on those terms in such a small market.

Hopefully, PNG will never go the same way because their market is big enough that any airline that was created with el cheapo subsidised aircraft would probably make enough profit not to need further help.

T28D
17th Jan 2013, 21:48
So who is the "Newbie"

seneca208
17th Jan 2013, 21:55
This article may provide a little more insight.

Chinese plane forces NZ airline out of Tonga | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/8183693/Chinese-plane-forces-NZ-airline-out-of-Tonga)

Flt.Lt Zed
17th Jan 2013, 23:30
All part of the Chinese Govt 'Conquer by Stealth' policy to gain worldwide access to fisheries,agriculture and UN votes.

Jabawocky
17th Jan 2013, 23:52
Tonga has also asked China to give it a 17-seat Harbin Y-12 aircraft to service smaller islands.

The MA60 is described as a short take-off-and-landing aircraft designed for rugged conditions.

The United States Federal Aviation Administration has refused to certify it, and it mainly operates in Third World countries where they are sold heavily subsidised or given away free.

Says it all :ugh::ugh::ugh:

and

Where will the crew come from?

Who like RPT on non FAA certified turbo props?

I feel safer in the retard vehicle :}

Rich-Fine-Green
17th Jan 2013, 23:56
The Chinese don't do anything for free.

They get their pound of flesh.

Not only will they get Tonga's UN votes, I'm sure substantial fishing rights were agreed too as well...:rolleyes:

I guess the big risk in the Pacific is that if AU and NZ isolate Fiji too long, it will allow China to get a strong(er) foothold there too.

Why fight a future war when all China needs to do is spend huge amounts of money to achieve their long term strategic goals.

Look at Aviation, China has a growing list of Aviation interests bought for a song in the USA (TCM engines, Cirrus, Lake etc etc).

I guess India is slowly following China's lead with ownership of Airvan and an interest in Piaggio Aero...

mostlytossas
18th Jan 2013, 03:41
Who will crew it?
Don't worry about that, I bet there is already a long list of interested pilots from the region that have made themselves known. I have yet to ever see a REAL pilot shortage.

Mach E Avelli
18th Jan 2013, 04:37
The deal probably includes a crew and engineer training package - for Tongan Nationals. If the Tongan Government did not negotiate that, they would be the first customer not to.

LeadSled
18th Jan 2013, 05:47
Folks,
A quick google of the MA 60 seems to suggest that quite a few have come to grief, compared to the total number operating.
Whether this is a function of the aircraft, or where they are operating, or a bit of both, needs some study.
Tootle pip!!

prospector
18th Jan 2013, 07:27
or where they are operating, or a bit of both, needs some study.

or the hurried training of locals?

Mach E Avelli
18th Jan 2013, 09:06
Prospector - spot-on. I have a mate who sometimes ferries these things and while they are not particularly sophisticated, he has no complaints about them. But he is too smart to get involved in any of their training programs. Or has a conscience.

Jabawocky
18th Jan 2013, 10:27
Leadie,

Good crew and operators can fly sh!t boxes and not crash them, even your old mob;)

But given to a bunch of ....you know, a 777 is not immune or safe.:uhoh:

I have wanted to go to Tonga one day. Not so sure now.

bowing
18th Jan 2013, 11:39
Be good for the Tongan brothers in aviation:ok::ok:

WOOLLY
19th Jan 2013, 02:29
The Tongan Government will never learn, they cannot run an airline.

Their graveyard is full of failed airlines. Too many people wanting a piece of the pie, lining their own pockets and with little experience.

27/09
19th Jan 2013, 07:22
I wonder how the gap will be filled, from when Air Chats pulling out at the start of March and the new operation starts in June.

It would seem that the new operation is timed to start at the beginning of the busy season and at this time of the year Air Chats don't make any money so they've decided to pull the pin sooner rather than later to minimise losses.

Could be interesting. I suspect large amounts of humble pie to be eaten by the Tongan Govt as they ask Air Chats to fill the gap on a charter basis.

bling69
26th Jan 2013, 00:39
The new airline will be called REAL TONGA... what a name lol, and run by Palu Aviation a Tongan aircraft engineering firm.