PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Ground School

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Apr 2002, 18:09
Guys/Gals,

I just want to clarify a couple of things, if you would be so kind to answer my questions.

London Guildhall Uni - Does any one know the cost of their courses, and do they provide accommodation on campus? I have contacted them and am waiting for the information pack, but am getting impatient :D. Anyone have any comments about LGU please?

Bristol Ground School - Am I correct in thinking that BGS is distance learning only, with brush up courses at the end of each module? The comments mentioned here seem pretty good and I would like to consider them as an option.

Thanks

CAT3C AUTOLAND

FRIDAY
17th Apr 2002, 18:31
Hey CAT3C Autoland

I just received the pack from london guildhall recently, If I can remember the residential course is approximately £2500 and they provide a list of accomodation near buy, the best seems to be the peabody one which provides 6 ensuite rooms per floor with shared kitchen and relaxing rooms. I think it works out approx 60 to 90 quid per week depending where you choose to stay.

Yes Bristol is only distance learning but no the less a brilliant set of notes, but personally I would go for a full time residential course.

You should actually have a look at the residential course provided by the Glasgow college of nautics, there instructors are mainly ex bae prestwick and I would suspect its slightly cheaper to live up there, they will provide a list of accomodation's aswell.
There course is 2500quid approximately aswell but they provide 850hrs of lectures as opposed to the required 650hrs which in my opinion is a great advantage.

Incidently who are you choosing to fly with in the states.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Apr 2002, 18:59
Friday, Thank you for your comments, very much appreciated.

Yes it does seem like BGS notes and CD roms with animated all singing all dancing graphics are very impressive, but I am more tempted by full time ground school, like yourself. Mind you I am in two minds about BGS, as more and more people seem to be posting threads singing their praises and getting first time passes in all subjects!

In answer to your question, I have chosen to go to Naples Air Center. I visited them in February whilst in Florida, and their organisation appeared very good.

Thanks again.

cbkr2000
18th Apr 2002, 19:06
BGS definitely. I've just finished the second set of exams and all 14 passes were first time. Alex knows his stuff and all the guys there are great. I have also had experiences of a full time course at Cabair, Cranfield and did not like it at all-hence why I am at Bristol. In fact there was one unlucky soul from that bedfordshire training college that only got 1 or 2 passes and is now redoing the 12 remeining. He was not impressed to say the least and cabair were less than helpful. This is not to say that LGU will be like that but I thought I'd add my tuppence anyway.

FlyingForFun
19th Apr 2002, 06:52
I'm roughly 1/4 of the way through the BGS course, and I have nothing but praise for it - it's an excellent course.

BUT - if you have the time and money to a full time residential course, I would definitely go for that. I don't - I have to keep working at my current job to pay the bills, and save for the CPL/IR. But distance learning requires a huge amount of dedication and motivation, and it seems to me that you'd immediately be putting yourself at a disadvantage by doing this if you're lucky enough to have the choice.

Just my thoughts.

FFF
-----------