PDA

View Full Version : Radiation Meters in High flying aircraft

Haraka
16th Jan 2013, 17:42
With some columnage being recently written in press articles regarding radiation hazards in deep space flight, I seem to recall that such issues were present years ago, closer to Earth, specifically addressed to issues regarding commercial flight at 60k ft., where atmospheric attenuation was minimal.
Was there not a radiation meter installed in Concorde Cockpits with this regard??
If so, does anybody have any information regarding any results obtained from this installation which might perhaps be pertinent to these current concerns.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Jan 2013, 18:11
Concorde is so equipped. I understand radiation on a trans atlantic flight was about the same as in a subsonic airliner as it was in Concorde. Slightly higher dose level in the beautiful white bird, but for a much shorter time.

BEagle
16th Jan 2013, 18:57
Allegedly, Concorde's radiation alerting system used to warn when departing LHR in the vicinity of Aldermaston / Burghfield. "Ah-ha", they thought, "must be something to do with the UK's hydrogen bomb business...."

Whereas actually it was probably down to radioactive matter vented to atmosphere from the products of solid fuel combustion at Didcot power station, a few miles to the west..:rolleyes:

Cornish Jack
17th Jan 2013, 13:48
Seem to recall that just before I left Virgin in early 2000s there was a proposal to install monitors on some (possibly all?)of the fleets.

Desert185
17th Jan 2013, 15:33
UV filtering cockpit windows would be a nice addition. My cruise shirt had a distinctly faded left sleeve after months/years flying the NOPAC westbound in the AM.

Beats dealing with the daily, morning commute on the freeway/motorway, though. :ok:

wrecker
18th Jan 2013, 16:59
I was in Russia in 1994 training some ex Aeroflot pilots onto the B757 it was very difficult to get them to fly above FL280 whereas the optimum for the route/aircraft was FL350+. Their, view universally held, was that the radiation levels were dangerous up there.