PDA

View Full Version : Which Leg First?

seacue
15th Jan 2013, 20:09
Sorry to hear that Angels may join me in unemployment fairly soon. In my case, I have been retired for 20+ years. It is important to find something to do that you think is productive.

And now the serious part of this message. Which leg first? When putting on pants (brit= trousers), which leg do you insert first? In my case, it is almost invariably the left leg. Am I an odd-ball in this regard? Is it the same in the Southern Hemisphere? What about Equatorial regions?

Temp Spike
15th Jan 2013, 20:14
...and you qualifications are what? Tailor?

I place the first leg that comes up into my pant-trousers depending upon which leg hole bears itself for penetration first.

parabellum
15th Jan 2013, 20:17
Right leg first, (I'm right handed also), living in Oz.

treadigraph
15th Jan 2013, 20:27
Which leaves me wondering how many Jet Blasters have removed their trousers to check. :ok:

I assumed it would be the left - I checked and it's the right.

You'd think after 49 years of I'd know and wouldn't need to check... Luckily I am at home...

And I am left handed, in the temperate northern hemisphere.

C130 Techie
15th Jan 2013, 20:41
Left leg first.

Left handed. Northern Hemisphere.

Airborne Aircrew
15th Jan 2013, 20:43
What about the kilt wearers????

Ok, I know... What about the kilt wearers... Fair comment.. :E

Nervous SLF
15th Jan 2013, 20:44
Right leg first for trousers ( and underpants ) but left foot first for socks :sad: Right handed in Southern Hemisphere.

Loose rivets
Since getting a bad back my ability to stand on one leg has diminished . . . radically.

I try one leg, and if all goes well, stand for a while recovering from the exertion. Then I go for the second foot-hrough-the-hole attempt. I try very hard not to fall on the full length mirror. I do not need any more owies.

I can picture the Rivetess' face now, looking in at me humped over the chest of draws with me trowsies down. She will most lightly frown and close the door quietly behind her. It is after all not the strangest of things she's seen me do while assuming I'm alone.

It's the pirouetting that I'm getting good at. After years of practice, I can now assess where I'm going to land after the third rotation - a wide bed makes the target easier. Often, at this time, the Rivetess comes in again, rolls her eyes, huffs, and this time slams the door. She's passed believing a word I say.

Funny thing about ankles. I used to hop about the judo mat or tennis court with gay abandon. Er, I'll rephrase that, with youthful abandon. 73 year old ankles need practice. Practice bad backs can't allow. Old age is a buggah, and goes to prove Douglass Addams should have said, The Interconnectedness of all body parts.:*

Mike X
Problem is I have three legs. No wonder I have pain in the left or right from time to time. :}

Lonewolf_50
15th Jan 2013, 20:45
Left foot first.
Right-handed.
Northern Hemisphere.

I think this may be related to how I used to mount a bicycle as a kid. Left foot on pedal, get the bike moving forward, swing right leg over seat and commence with pedaling once seated and right foot hits pedal.

The few times I have ridden a horse, I have mounted from the left as well.

Temp Spike
15th Jan 2013, 20:48
Mike-X

You have my sympathies. I, on the other hand, (no pun intended), have pants-trousers with three legs. One much larger than the other two, unfortunately.

Nervous SLF
15th Jan 2013, 20:49
Are you a clone of Slasher then?? :E

Re bicycles and motor cycles I also mounted from the left. Rifles I shoot left handed but darts I throw right handed. One appears to be a tad "different" at times.

G-CPTN
15th Jan 2013, 20:55
how I used to mount a bicycle as a kid. Left foot on pedal, get the bike moving forward, swing right leg over seat and commence with pedaling once seated and right foot hits pedal. Did you grow up in the UK?
That's how any British child would mount a cycle from the kerb.

Temp Spike
15th Jan 2013, 21:01
Nervous SLF

Thatís because the Left side of your brain is superior, but the right side is dominant.

Mike X
15th Jan 2013, 21:03
Temp

Does mini-me know this ?

Temp Spike
15th Jan 2013, 21:04
If you should ask him....maybe.

Nervous SLF
15th Jan 2013, 21:05
Actually all of my brain is a tad dim but my left eye has much better vision than my right eye. As G-CPTN says growing up in the UK mounting from the left would indeed be the way to get on a bicycle

Temp Spike
15th Jan 2013, 21:09
My problem was never getting on, but rather getting off....ahem.

EEngr
15th Jan 2013, 21:11
Middle.
;)

Wholigan
15th Jan 2013, 21:12
For goodness' bleedin' sake, surely you all know the hokey cokey.

"You put your left leg in" is what starts it fer Chrissakes!!!:E

Mike X
15th Jan 2013, 21:13
I alternate.

Takan Inchovit
15th Jan 2013, 21:14
Any traditional Scots reading this? :}

Temp Spike
15th Jan 2013, 21:14
...and that's the best approach.

Temp Spike
15th Jan 2013, 21:15
Clive the lurking mortician.

Lord Spandex Masher
15th Jan 2013, 21:19
Both at the same time. Lie on back, both feet in, lurch forward and up, little hop to get foot all the way through Bob's your mother's brother.

Saves at least 7 seconds a day.

Mike X
15th Jan 2013, 21:24
Both at the same time. Lie on back, both feet in, lurch forward and up, little hop to get foot all the way through Bob's your mother's brother.

Why would I want to go all the way through Bob's, your mother's brother ? :E

toffeez
15th Jan 2013, 21:31
Whichever of the three appears longest goes in first.

Lord Spandex Masher
15th Jan 2013, 21:32
Oi Apple you robbing gits I want my 'and' back.

Lord Spandex Masher
15th Jan 2013, 21:33
And my 'your' for that matter!

Temp Spike
15th Jan 2013, 21:37
Fitting triumph, that.

Mike X
15th Jan 2013, 21:37
Here it is : Why would I want to go all the way through Bob's and your mother's brother ?

More spandex mashing ? :}

seacue
15th Jan 2013, 22:52
As the O.P., I should add that I am right-handed and have always lived in the northern hemisphere. Western hemisphere as well. Being of rather advanced age and having had a bout of vertigo 6 years ago, I sit on the edge of the bed to don trousers - left leg first.

I'll have to check whether I also have a foot-preference in putting on socks ... and shoes.

Cacophonix
15th Jan 2013, 23:55
The best foot surely?

Rolf Harris Show 22nd March 1969 - Jake The Peg BBC - YouTube

Caco

11Fan
16th Jan 2013, 00:00
All I need to remember is pants first, then shoes.

Cacophonix
16th Jan 2013, 00:04
All I need to remember is pants first, then shoes.

Unlike Superman. ;)

Caco

Mostly Harmless
16th Jan 2013, 00:29
I alternate.

But, is it socks then pants or pants then socks?

Loose rivets
16th Jan 2013, 05:34
This age thing is serious. I put a sock on and then me knickers. I spent the next five minutes wondering why me feet were a different colour.:(

FullOppositeRudder
16th Jan 2013, 06:38
Right foot first, and I also puts me pants on before the shirt. I used to do it the other way round until on a "road to Damascus event" I caught sight of this rather odd looking half dressed fool in the mirror. :eek:

Changed me for life; I had to rewrite the manual too.

arcniz
16th Jan 2013, 09:07
Which leg first?

Why... the uphill one, of course. That way there's not so far to fall if the breeze should suddenly pick up, or perhaps the earth moving thing starts unexpectedly.

One finds that habillation and dis-habillation times are the best to prepare long-term for life's little asymmetries-- by deliberately standing on one footie while waving the other one, along with whatever attached baggage is present, around in the immediate environment, trying to persuade the habillements of the mo to separate on centrifugal grounds. This dance goes even better if done in total darkness while surrounded by random combinations of small animals seeking to be social rather than just trod-on, and often failing. Does offer some Darwinian training in survival-style balance skills, possibly, maybe.

Mostly Harmless
16th Jan 2013, 20:49
Then there is the whole issue of; Button then zip, or zip then button?

ExSp33db1rd
17th Jan 2013, 00:07
Right leg, right handed, Southern Hemisphere ( but refugee from the Northern Hemisphere )

"You put your left leg in"

but doesn't it continue .... "take your left leg out" before you shake it all about?

Re bicycles and motor cycles I also mounted from the left.

Still do, but that's because any side stand that I've ever seen leans the bike over to the left, so it's easier to left the aged right leg over the lowest side of the saddle.

Which --- brings me to a slight thread-shift. When I started riding motor bikes again at the grand old age of 48, after a 30 year interval, I noticed that the Jap. bike I bought had the gear and footbrake pedals reversed from my memory of the old Beezer Bantam of my youf. A friend said the modern protocol was to make the bike lean towards the kerb at traffic lights, i.e. away from those evil cars, and so one stopped in neutral gear with a foot on the ( left) gear shift pedal ready for a drag strip get away, whilst holding the handbrake and the clutch, and puts the right foot on the ground. ... but ... Japan drives on the left like the UK, so this has one leaning the 'wrong' way, so it was then suggested that after WW II the Japanese motor cycle market was targetting the USA, so they made this leaning-away-from-the-traffic-idea OK for them.

I now ride again in a left hand side driving country, but whilst writing this I've got myself so confused that I can't remember what I do with regard to which foot is on which pedal now. I'll take note next time !