PDA

View Full Version : Pilot - MX cooperation

David36
15th Jan 2013, 19:19
I would like to talk a little about how you found the proper way to cooperate with maintenance guys, how to ensure your best as a pilot regarding repairs, works done etc.

It is known by regulations that the pilot is the one who has the ultimate responsibility of integrity and safety of the aircraft he operates, so how do you find from your experience the best way to ensure this together with checking mx logs, have a good preflight after repairs and other tips related? How can a pilot ensure that that work is done as it should, except being itself a mech?

Sorry mech guys, no argue for you, the purpose of the thread is to find out the best way to cooperate, despite that old advice which says to never trust you. :lol: :mrgreen:

P.S. It's on the GA area, but the discussion might extend even to the big beasts.

PLovett
15th Jan 2013, 20:12
Teat them as fellow professionals who have as much interest in the safety of your aircraft as you do. Anything less is disrespectful of people who have undergone as much training as you have.

David36
16th Jan 2013, 08:40
Of course I do that. I would like some advices regarding post-maintenance flight and also, about the ensurance regarding critical structural repairs on airframe or flight controls.

ed1016nw
16th Jan 2013, 11:01
Always take one of them on the apre maintence flight, always worked for me!:ok:

David36
16th Jan 2013, 11:24
And how I'm gonna make the invitation to fly with me?:E Maybe they should know I will take them to fly before they start to repaair, isn't it?:}

hung start
16th Jan 2013, 22:32
Depends on what you are flying but why not look at employing a mechanic and a good one will take ownership of any problem and with pride in his workmanship will make it right

Jetset41
16th Jan 2013, 23:00
How about the "mech" asking what credentials and experience you have before he lets you put his life in your hands, how would you react to that?

Hhmmmm, not nice is it?

But if all else fails, find a reputable company, don't go all cheap and try to cut corners, build a good relationship with your Maintenance team and they will provide you top notch service and will at some stage get your arse out of jail, when your bird is stuck in some god forsaken place with no tools, no equipment and just his damn skill to get you back in the sky.

Oh, not trying to make an argument here !

Regards,

Jetset41:rolleyes:

BizJetJock
17th Jan 2013, 08:17
Why is it not nice? Personally I am proud of my qualifications and experience and more than happy to bore people with them!

I am continually horrified by the number of people/organisations who don't ask - yet who would be damn sure to ask whether the accountancy firm was giving them an experienced person rather than the new graduate, for a far less responsible task.

Maybe I just exude the SkyGod aura..... :ok:

David36
17th Jan 2013, 14:17
How about the "mech" asking what credentials and experience you have before he lets you put his life in your hands, how would you react to that?

I am in the same airplane, my ass is in that airplane. The fact that my life is at stake. That assures the same thing I request from him. If we fly together, our lives both are there.

His dudeness
17th Jan 2013, 14:59
I am in the same airplane, my ass is in that airplane. The fact that my life is at stake. That assures the same thing I request from him. If we fly together, our lives both are there.

I personally know on mechanic who will never again fly because he had a horrible experience on a post mx flight due the fact that this particular pilot was a real i.d.i.o.t.

Any how, to got back to your original question and I can only speak from a EASA land standpoint - a certain amount of trust is required or you need to have a freelancer working for you with the necessary credentials to check and recheck what they do in mx.

I for one think that I can trust in certified stuff and then I check whatever I can. We use a well reputated mx organization, who might not be the cheapest.

theWings
24th Jan 2013, 00:12
Depends on what you are flying but why not look at employing a mechanic and a good one will take ownership of any problem and with pride in his workmanship will make it right

:hmm:... valiant stuff, but it ain't about one guy because to err is human.

Proof of properly audited standards and procedures are what you're after because systems are more reliable than individuals - boring and a bit sad but true. Although a good system will always encourage individual excellence. Which, rightly, will bump up the bill some. And dare I suggest that's where you'll probably find the quality hands who are probably being trained, rested and regulated properly?? Taking cover... :E

Still, I do miss Mack with an oily rag over his shoulder, a knowing scratch of the head and a spare 15min...