PDA

View Full Version : Will this have Steinway quaking in their boots?

Loose rivets
15th Jan 2013, 17:25
Certainly impressive, but the smaller 'pianos' have for some time, simulated case resonance. Still, this seems to be taking it to a new level.

I watched a PBS broadcast here about the making of Steinway pianos. I was spellbound, standing at the kitchen door waiting for a moment in the hour long program I could sneak away. Dinner was late that night.

However, I suspect the quarter-mill price tag and the sheer weight and maintenance burdens will see electronics take over most of the world.

(A Yamaha 9' concert grand is about $175,000.)

At the end of this clip Peter plays a piece for two - having recorded the first part himself.

Another thing for my wish list.

Peter Baartmans and the Avant Grand Hybrid Piano - YouTube

pianydd
15th Jan 2013, 19:05
Definitely on my wish list too. Yamaha make pretty decent pianos, although Steinway has always been my favourite. The price and lack of space for one makes ownership a pipe dream however.

bnt
15th Jan 2013, 19:48
Digital pianos are getting better too - not that they've been bad for many years. Kurzweil had really realistic ones by the late 80s, and now they're hardly remarkable. For example, the new mid-range Korg Krome (http://www.korg.com/krome) workstation many piano sample sets, one of those ("German D") consisting of 8 sample layers per key. They don't give the exact size, but it must be hundreds of megabytes if not a gigabyte in size, for one piano.

Mike X
15th Jan 2013, 21:10
No electronic instrument can compensate for an original one. Having trained classically for seven years in my youth, nothing comes close to a Bösendorfer.

Bless all those artists that keep the real thing alive.

obgraham
15th Jan 2013, 23:32
nothing comes close to a Bösendorfer.
Fazioli.......

pianydd
15th Jan 2013, 23:32
Mike X:

I 100% agree with your first sentence!

I was so fortunate that my piano teacher had a Steinway; and Bösendorfer pianos are just as sublime.

I have had to sometimes play an 'electronic nasty', and on just a few occasions I've been genuinely astounded at the quality and response that the plastic thing gave out.*

Sadly, this could be the way forward, not that I agree with it by any means; hammer on strings, not microchippery for me.

*And no, I didn't just press the 'demo' button!

Cacophonix
15th Jan 2013, 23:40
How bad is this ersatz damned piano...?

Rameau "L'egyptienne" Sandro Bisotti piano - YouTube

No, actually, he is a fine pianist... :-)

Try this....

Rameau, Platée, La Folie ! - YouTube

And no, shit, she is beautiful and, well, talented... ;)

Ok then, try any one of those damned jazz gangsters that have ****** the beauty of Rameau up or down...

Caco

Milo Minderbinder
16th Jan 2013, 00:07
"And no, shit, she is beautiful and, well, talented."

Really? Looks to me like Yootha Joyce following a face lift, coupled with the arms of an East German shot putter

Vercingetorix
16th Jan 2013, 00:17
Milo
You sure know how to compliment a lady. LoL. :ok:

bugg smasher
16th Jan 2013, 00:36
I own a Steinway concert grand, it is my most prized possession on this Earth.

As a graduate of a performance piano program at a well-known uni in North America, I can safely say, those who deserve such an instrument, are always those who can least afford one. Wealth, and talent, are the rarest of mixes.

Ain't life the biggest bitch of all, sad to say.

I consider myself most fortunate, flying big airplanes has allowed me to purchase a really big piano. But, in roads not taken, not really sure it has all worked out.

Clare Prop
16th Jan 2013, 05:42
Peter Sellers Steinway - YouTube

cavortingcheetah
16th Jan 2013, 06:13
The serial number on the Steinway grand which I own allows one to trace, through Steinway's London office, the year of manufacture in Hamburg, the purchaser, my mother, and the address in London to which it was delivered, the family home, in 1947.
It is my greatest regret of a pastime nature, that I never progressed beyond being a tinkler. The ability to play the piano really well and to ski beautifully into older age are surely two attributes that assure constant amusement, fitness, social entertainment, fun, merriment and laughter. Both can be learnt by practice and discipline, physical and mental. Neither talent poses a serious challenge for anyone with the intelligence to foresee the future benefits which flow naturally from pursuing either pasatiempo, regardless of one's sexual persuasion.

FullOppositeRudder
16th Jan 2013, 06:29
It is my greatest regret of a pastime nature, that I never progressed beyond being a tinkler.Sigh ....

Me too. It's a bit late to start taking it seriously now .... :{

FOR

Gordy
16th Jan 2013, 06:50
bug smasher

has allowed me to purchase a really big piano

Sure beats the big sunglasses and big watch....

Sorry----could not resist..... ;)

bugg smasher
16th Jan 2013, 11:54
Hey Gordy, got those too :cool:

RJM
16th Jan 2013, 12:23
Loose Rivets, I think I saw the same doco. The pianos were made in a big warehouse in Brooklyn or somewhere, by a crew of dedicated piano makers some of whom looked a bit like tidy Hell's Angels. I couldn't help watching it, though I'm hardly a pianist. I hope they can keep their factory going.

I think Steinway and Bosendorfer are now owned by the same company. Wiki would know.

...she's always very polite about you, Milo!

Here's Valentina Lisitsa, who built herself a career on the web and has played in Albert Hall, giving a real piano a bit of a bash. No shot-putter's arms here.

And such fingers! One can only speculate...

But then, we are gentlemen discussing the evolution of the piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zucBfXpCA6s

bugg smasher
16th Jan 2013, 12:50
and lack of space for one makes ownership a pipe dream however.

The physical space for such an instrument is not the main issue, it's really not that much larger than a decent king-sized bed. But the acoustic space required to do it justice, quite another thing altogether.

Here is Shan Shan Sun aboard a Steinway Delta giving Kapustin a serious run for his money :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92X-JlUMrxo

RJM
16th Jan 2013, 13:02
Yeah, small pianos are ok, up to a point...

Worlds Largest Piano Built By A Kiwi Teenager - YouTube

BTW, bugg smasher, you only need to paste in the You Tube URL, no need for the PPRuNe-supplied little logo thingy.

Loose rivets
16th Jan 2013, 21:35
He just has to have lived before. The telescope done in a spare moment?

Valentina. I know we've discussed her before, but I'm loth to start hearing her play the 3rd movement, because that's the piece I could never master - and to some extent made me give up. Mind you, she does seem to race ahead when compared to the definitive version - Walter Gieseking. Just listen to her playing the Appassionata to get a real sense of her strength.

There is one young lady that imitates him very well, but her power and accuracy is not as good as Valentina's. ( see last link.)

Talking of Valentinas (plural) The other one I can't really link to today or I'll spend the afternoon in old bloke's fantasy-land. Oh, alright, I will.

I love this piece partly because of the fun emphasizing the dynamic range.

Chopin - Valentina Igoshina - Fantasie Impromptu - YouTube

Parts of this emulate Gieseking rather well, but then it drifts disappointingly away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi5D6u5RI5c&feature=related

bugg smasher
17th Jan 2013, 09:23
BTW, bugg smasher, you only need to paste in the You Tube URL, no need for the PPRuNe-supplied little logo thingy.

Cheers mate, was wondering how that all worked :O