PDA

View Full Version : Graphene

glad rag
15th Jan 2013, 16:14
OK have searched and don't remember this being on the forum and as we don't have a science forum it's in here!

BBC News - Graphene: Patent surge reveals global race (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20975580)

A surge in research into the novel material graphene (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20975580#) reveals an intensifying global contest to lead a potential industrial revolution.
Latest figures show a sharp rise in patents filed to claim rights over different aspects of graphene since 2007, with a further spike last year.
China leads the field as the country with the most patents.
The South Korean electronics giant Samsung stands out as the company with most to its name.
The figures, compiled by a UK-based patent (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20975580#) consultancy, CambridgeIP, highlight how Britain, which pioneered research into graphene, may be falling behind its rivals"There is a huge gap between academia and industry and this gap has broadened during the last few decades after the end of Cold War, so I try as much as I can to reach to the industry. Is this another case of Great British invention but abject failure to monopolise on the fruits of their work?

Loose rivets
15th Jan 2013, 17:37
Yes it is, and to let the other countries benefit from this science is bewildering - but what was the alternative . . . non-publication?

It is perhaps one of the most significant discoveries in recent years.

The whole point about global communication is to stop the frustration of doing work someone has already done. Ask Einstein, if you've got a hotline to him, he spent two years on something already published.

Such a shame we can't be open without losing it.

glad rag
15th Jan 2013, 18:52
It is perhaps one of the most significant discoveries in recent years.

Is it ever!

Sunnyjohn
15th Jan 2013, 18:56
There's a company in Bilbao, Spain, currently making a commercially useable membrane from Graphene. When the world knocks Spain they sometimes forget some of its successes and innovations.

Sir George Cayley
15th Jan 2013, 19:35
I might be missing something but what applications will it be used in?

Will it be better than Flubber?

SGC

barry lloyd
15th Jan 2013, 21:30
The generally accepted name of this product is graphene, as shown in the attachment. For the sake of accuracy and better understanding can the title of the thread be amended please?

Sunnyjohn
16th Jan 2013, 08:28
Unless you live in Spain, in which case it's Graphena.

ORAC
16th Jan 2013, 09:30
So Britain's lost it's lead in Graphene research?

Sounds like a carbon copy of many other inventions.....

Pelikal
21st Jan 2013, 00:00
I missed this posting, maybe because of the somewhat vague title. Just seen an article on the Beeb and it does look an extraordinary material. A film just one atom thick. Worth doing a Google.

er340790
21st Jan 2013, 02:09
Sounds almost as useful as duct tape...

Loose rivets
21st Jan 2013, 03:53
Sounds like a carbon copy of many other inventions.....

Oh, very droll.

ORAC
21st Jan 2013, 04:05
Oh, very droll. thank you. Maybe they"ll make a film out of it.....

Loose rivets
21st Jan 2013, 04:11
Owee! That made my brane hurt.