PDA

View Full Version : Working as a flight instructor part time until the right opportunity comes along

gordonquinn
14th Jan 2013, 12:19
Hey guys,

Been on the forum for a while, and got some great advice, so first off, thanks to all for that.

I have been going over the idea of possibly becoming a flight instructor part time, and working it alongside my existing career, with the long term ambition of eventually adding on the required licenses/ratings (I/R, CPL, MEP etc) to go for a career as a pilot.

I would see this as a way to enjoy flying, gain experience, not shell out as much money as I would if I was to say go for a full ATPL course, and risk not being able to find employment.

Does this make sense? Am I possibly missing something? Has anyone else done something similar to this?

RTN11
14th Jan 2013, 13:00
Depends what you want long term.

If you have your heart set on an airline job at any point in the future, you would need to do ATPL groundschool.

Once you have passed all 14 exams, you have 3 years to get both your CPL and an IR, if you don't manage this then the groundschool will expire.

So you can get your CPL/FI rating, and start instructing, but you need to keep an eye on that clock for the IR or you lose the groundschool, and then wouldn't be able to apply to any airlines anyway.

With the IR being the most expensive bit, and only valid for a year, it makes sense to leave it until last, and when you are fairly sure an airline interview will come along.

Dan the weegie
14th Jan 2013, 13:02
Hi Gordo,
It's a good question, undoubtedly you need to consider whether you actually want to be an instructor, the difference between going through the motions because you want to fly jets or turbo props and doing it because you enjoy it is enormous - you probably don't know for sure either way at the moment but the idea is almost certainly attractive. Take it seriously though because just going through the motions is deeply unfair for the students you fly with, so you really do need to want to do it.

Living in East Kilbride puts you a wee bit away from the busier schools so travelling to lessons may be something to consider.

That said, Cumbernauld are often looking for instructors and you may fit the bill. Allan Falconer is the man to speak to, although he does run both the schools at PTH and Cumbernauld and has a vested interest, so he will undoubtedly be positive but generally I've found him to be a straight shooter. Get him to introduce you to a few of his more seasoned instructors, or even the ones who work for an airline and still instruct part time - the worst that will happen is that you drink a lot of tea but the guys are always happy to talk to you.

From the tone of your post, you're either a PPL or you're training towards a PPL.

Certainly becoming an instructor with a PPL and get paid for it is now possible but in reality the amount of time and work you need to put in, you may as well do the ATPL Theory (as the instructor theory is about the same) and CPL course if you have definitely decided to become a professional.

So if you do decide to be an instructor, I think you'd not be doing yourself any favours by just doing the instructor course and the Instructor exams.

Hopefully my babbling makes some sense. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more.

gordonquinn
15th Jan 2013, 11:09
Thanks for your replies guys.

Long term, I would like to follow an airline career, it is my long term ambition.
Yes I am currently working towards my PPL.

I see what you guys are saying about the ATPL exams, and the instructor theory. On one hand in terms of effort it would not make sense to do both as it would be double effort. On the other hand it by the sounds of things, would allow me more flexibility in terms of not being constrained by the time limits of ATPL theory exams expiring.

I suppose on one hand, I do not want to get into a position where I have a lot of hours and an opportunity comes along, and I am spending time doing ATPL theory, CPL and I/R, which I could have done a long time ago.

Thanks for you help guys, I will have a further think and possibly come back on this.