PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Assist or Bristol for ATPL distance?

mintfavour
17th Apr 2002, 14:55
Soon I will be starting my ATPL distance learning.
I have researched my options and have pritty much decided to go to BGS as the material looked the most impressive and failed to see a bad comment about them here on PPrune.
However Pilot assist is fairly local to me, I havent seen much feed back about them here on pprune. Is there anyone out there who could advise about pilot assist, and are they worth considering just because they are local to me.

Thanks in advanced for any advice.

cheers

mint

EGDR
17th Apr 2002, 14:56
Bristol - without a doubt , a very good school & top instructors....

FlyingForFun
17th Apr 2002, 15:01
Can't see why the distance from you would be particularly relevant for DL - you'll only be there for a few weeks. Can't comment on Pilot Assist's course, but I'm doing DL with Bristol, and would definitely recommend it.

FFF
--------------

Megaton
17th Apr 2002, 15:04
I have no opinion either way regarding PAC; however, it's false economy to choose a school based purely on its location. Ask those who chose Four Forces! In the long run you're better to pick the school that offers you the best chance of a first time pass.

Bristol offers a no-nonsense approach to the exams but they will not do the work for you. Having just completed Module 2 with them there were evidently a number of people on both modules who had not adequately prepared prior to attending the 2 week brush-up. They are excellent but ultimately the exams test your knowledege, ability and commitment, not the school's!

Gazeem
17th Apr 2002, 16:25
Mint Flavour,

I have just completed by final exams with BGS (awaiting results!).
I passed all the first module first time.

I have had a good time with Bristol, good straight down the line instruction in a friendly environment.

I have seen Pilot Assist notes, they seemed okay.

The Bristol Groundschool notes are extremely good, clear, in colour and logical and that isn't enough you get a CD ROM with the notes animated on it.

I think also if you compare the prices (including all "admin" fees) you will see a considerable interest.

Gaz

Broken Wings
17th Apr 2002, 17:42
I did my exams late last year with BGS and had first time passes in all. Yes its mainly down to your own effort as to how well you do but good notes, support and feedback help and I couldn't fault BGS on all three accounts.

When you're down at Bristol pop into BFC and have a chat with the students/instructors as BFC comes highly recommended for the CPL/IR.

Best of luck Mint

Send Clowns
17th Apr 2002, 23:01
No direct experience with either but for what it's worth :

I know PAC's CGI, and he is certainly competent, had a good pass rate in his (difficult!) subject when he was at SFT. Gave private tuition to a student who had done a brush up at PAC and been fairly impressed. I know their question bank in Nav is good 'cos I wrote it!

I have given private tuition to several BGS students. I like their notes, as good as BCFT I am familiar with and OATS which I have tutored their distance learning students from. BGS admin is also very organised and switched-on, which is important, especially in distance learning. Would definitely recommend. I have met Alex a couple of times, and liked him.

Best of luck!

EGCC4284
17th Apr 2002, 23:22
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4993&highlight=FLIGHT+TRAINING+EXHIBITION

Awyrennwr
18th Apr 2002, 19:06
I don't know much about bristol oher than it's exellent reputation.
Pilot Assist offer alot more than ground school, they can structure the entire of your training, they also offer airline interview training and help get students into the airlines.
Living locally means you can pop in anytime you need help, sometimes personal instruction can be a big help with topics the books alone can't explain.
I don't know which texts Bristol use, PAC use Pooleys. It would probably be worth having a look at the texts and comparing.
Good luck.

GonvilleBromhead
19th Apr 2002, 12:58
Bristol GS, excellent notes and support, 2 week brush up gets you upto speed for the exams without a doubt. Highly recommended.
First time passes in module 1.

Good luck.