PDA

View Full Version : Listen Only Headsets for Pax

Ixixly
13th Jan 2013, 23:18
Hi All,

Just looking for some opinions and other peoples experiences. Looking at purchasing headsets for Pax usage, just basic inflight commentary. I've had dealings in the past with the DC Listen Only (10S Model) and they seemed fine, the gel seals didn't seem to like the 38degree temps though and needed to be replaced every 3-4months but generally the pax seemed fine with them.

Also having a look at the Pilot PA11-00, has anyone had any experience with these? Obviously they are the preferred choice as they cost half the amount of the DC's but lets face it, if they are going to simply break all the time then there's no point!! Would probably look at replacing the seals with Gel Seals instead of the Foam ones for a bit of extra comfort.

The other thought is to go for something non-aviation specific, like a good pair of Creative or Logitech, the noise in the cabin isn't generally too bad without headsets so the Passive Reduction doesn't have to be too high, would anyone have some suggestions for any decent Headsets they use in day to day life which block out a reasonable amount of background noise? Only going for PNR as ANR would be too much of a pain with batteries!!

I realise there was a thread running similar to this a while back which was closed so i'm really not interested in any debate on the merits of Listen Only vs Normal Headsets as we've already weighed up both and decided Listen Only is the better option for our operation, just looking for peoples experiences on Build Quality and Performance for some Listen Only Headsets!!

Piano Man
14th Jan 2013, 00:34
In all the beavers I have flown we have had listen only DCs. Have stood up well to passenger abuse and some have even had a brush with the water on occasion. For the operations we do they are more than fine.

Bonniciwah
14th Jan 2013, 04:37
I have Pilot Comms headset, I think it's the PA12.8T and the quality seems as good as the the DC H10-13.4. According to the stats the noise reduction is a little better, and they're comfortable to wear - though I'm still doing things in one-hour lots.
DB

Ixixly
14th Jan 2013, 05:03
Bonniciwah, thinking of it from a passengers perspective, would you say that it would stand up to a bit of rougher treatment?

Just thinking that we as Pilots try to look after our headsets so are probably a bit gentler on them, would you suspect that with any rougher treatment they may be more prone to break compared to their DC counterparts?

Bonniciwah
14th Jan 2013, 06:04
Going by the set I I'm sure they'll take some punishment. The cups are robust and you won't have issues with the microphone boom. The gel pads are pretty cheap to replace.

wateroff
14th Jan 2013, 07:55
Just leave out the TX plug and dont tell em anything........:E

Ixixly
14th Jan 2013, 08:00
Well, besides the fact that the Mic ones cost a bit more, there will undoubtedly be someone have a go at the Mic not working... no need to give them something to whinge about :E