PDA

View Full Version : Feminists vs Transexuals

ORAC
13th Jan 2013, 19:56
Handbags at dawn. :}:}:}:}

Feminists versus transsexuals: Julie Burchill, Suzanne Moore and The Observer spark civil war on the Left (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100197903/feminists-versus-transexuals-julie-burchill-suzanne-moore-and-the-observer-spark-civil-war-on-the-left/)

Milo Minderbinder
13th Jan 2013, 20:37
I can't believe I actually wasted three minutes of my life reading and and attempting to understand that meaningless irrelevant posturing drivel

11Fan
13th Jan 2013, 20:47
Thanks for saving me the time Milo. :ok:

ShyTorque
13th Jan 2013, 20:49
Tag wrestling, that's the only way to sort it out.

G-CPTN
13th Jan 2013, 21:04
Dildos at dawn?

racedo
13th Jan 2013, 21:10
Tag wrestling, that's the only way to sort it out.

In mud, with crocodiles :)

RJM
13th Jan 2013, 21:15
Erm, hard one to call. We need a bit more information.

I'm assuming it's a ball sport. Is it footy, cricket or rugby?

Lon More
13th Jan 2013, 22:31
Go on Milo, you just wanted to see if you were mentioned by name :E

Milo Minderbinder
13th Jan 2013, 22:51
Sorry Lon, but unlike yourself I am neither a narcissist nor an onanist

Fox3WheresMyBanana
13th Jan 2013, 23:18
In the next 10 years, all Guardian columnists will be looking for real jobs, and I doubt they have the self-discipline to sweep the car park at McD's for more than a couple of hours.

Worrals in the wilds
13th Jan 2013, 23:36
But the big takeaway from the Moore/Burchill controversy is just how illiberal liberals can be when they get in to a fight. When not done insulting foes, they try to censor each other – and they're not above using the moral authority of a nominally Right-wing government to do it.
He's got a point...

chuks
14th Jan 2013, 09:39
I have to live with a lot of these people at college. There's one who just graduated, when she was chosen by her class as the keynote speaker; now she keeps creeping back to drop her screeds about how she's ever so happy/made completely miserable, by straight society as a "fat lesbian," albeit one with a boyfriend. Keeping all the bases covered, that one.

The BMI (Body Mass Index), she wants us to believe, is a conspiracy on the part of the "medical establishment," so that there is no such thing as "morbid obesity." No, eat as much as you like when you are 20, and if you need a new set of hips, knees or ankles when you are 60, well.... You have to read this stuff to believe it, the quality of disjointed thought it holds, just one little booklet. It outdoes Mein Kampf!

Then there's another recent top graduate who has taken a job in a cold store. I asked him how it was going, when he shrugged and said that they wanted to fire him. Turns out, they give him a list of stuff, a pallet and a forklift, and a certain amount of time to load the stuff on the pallet, just not enough time for him! At least he's not chafed about that, otherwise he would be fulminating about "timeism," I guess, the way that other one is on about "fatism."

Lon More
14th Jan 2013, 12:38
Sorry Lon, but unlike yourself I am neither a narcissist nor an onanist
Don't get your frilly little pink knickers in a twist. I'm sorry to disappoint you Milo, but I rarely look in a mirror, mainly because they do not reflect me and even if they should I'd be ugly enough to crack them. Never have any problems with the second either, there's usually a willing female around when needed; all I have to do is lick my nose.

Slasher
14th Jan 2013, 12:45
C'mon Lon - I thought you licked your eyebrows! ;)

OFSO
14th Jan 2013, 13:07
Typed the thread heading into my EPG.

It came up with "Challenge TV, Thursday night 22:30"

Were all JB threads as useful.

CATIII-NDB
14th Jan 2013, 13:18
J Burchill, feminist (what ever that actually means) has written a piece for the Observer, it's part of the Guardian Group of newspapers in the UK. I have not read the article but judging by the reaction of Lynn Featherstone MP and others, the article may be classed as potentially homophobic.

I suspect that the article was commissioned to "Stir up" controversy to increase sales of a "Newspaper" that seems to be in decline [Edit: In numbers of readers].

List of newspapers in the United Kingdom by circulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_circulation#Circ ulation_since_2000)

The figures are for the Guardian and below: The Observer:

Its fairly obvious that the Observer's readership is in decline since 2000 : Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audit_Bureau_of_Circulations_(UK)

The deliberate targeting of a social group like this; for financial gain albeit indirectly, is obscene.

For those reading this post from outside the UK, please be warned: that on entry to the UK, you will routinely encounter people who are by any estimation, a few pencils short of a full box, I'm afraid.

Some years ago a TV columnist with the Daily Mail pulled a similar trick regarding the premature death of a gay pop star. I cannot remember her name but the same underlying reason of stirring it for income comes to mind.

CATIII-NDB
14th Jan 2013, 13:33
Was that you in the Pink Flamingo in Portsmouth.. Remember the bloke with the fat hairy legs & green To-to, with thost holey fish nets. That gussett was torture too much old peculiar

They are not comfortable unless you shave your legs.

CAT III

bluecode
14th Jan 2013, 16:51
There's a transexual lobby group? Quite powerful and bitchy by the sound of it. Clearly I'm massively out of touch. They should be easy to spot after all. :confused:

Either that or Burchill has finally lost the plot completely. I suspect the latter.

Can't imagine how it got published though.

Lon More
14th Jan 2013, 17:07
C'mon Lon - I thought you licked your eyebrows!
Old age and arthritis. I'm not quite as gymnastic as I used to be
There's a transexual lobby group?
The government's side of the division lobby in the House of Commons perhaps.

glad rag
14th Jan 2013, 17:17
Wow, milo's catty tonight........

CATIII-NDB
14th Jan 2013, 20:30
PPRuNe is I imagine the last place in Cyberspace to approach the gender issues: but The Observer withdraws Julie Burchill column as editor publishes apology | Media | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/14/observer-withdraws-julie-burchill-column) says a lot about about the desperation of the printed media.

Decay & decrepitude in full swing. We are all poorer for it ?

CAT III

ShyTorque
14th Jan 2013, 20:48
Np6gyUb0E7o

ORAC
17th Jan 2013, 12:41
Spectator - Rod Liddle: How Moore, Burchill and Featherstone all had a lovely bitch fight (http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/8823901/how-moore-burchill-and-featherstone-all-had-a-lovely-bitch-fight/) :p

‘Women … are angry with ourselves for not being happier, not being loved properly and not having the ideal body shape — that of a Brazilian transsexual.’
— Suzanne Moore

One of these days, not too far away, the entire bourgeois bien-pensant left will self-immolate entirely leaving behind nothing but a thin skein of smoke smelling slightly of goji berries. Please let that day come quickly. In the meantime let us simply enjoy ourselves watching them tear each other to pieces, mired in their competing victimhoods, seething with acquired sensitivity, with inchoate rage and fury, inventing more and more hate crimes with which they might punish people who are not themselves.

That quote above comes from the very talented feminist writer Suzanne Moore. It is a sentence from a piece she wrote for the New Statesman. You would not believe the trouble it has caused. The Twittersphere immediately started roaring like a pre-menstrual velociraptor, there were demands for an apology and a rebuttal, there was a somewhat robust defence of the original sentence and then, as a consequence, a government minister called for the editor of an august — well, not quite august, more like late June — national newspaper to resign. The debate is still howling around. It may be — in terms of national importance — nothing more than 5,000 bald women and bald quasi-women arguing over a comb. But it gives you an insight into the metro left’s bizarre psychosis. Oh, and it’s fun, it’s fun. It’s certainly that................

bluecode
17th Jan 2013, 13:45
I'm still puzzled by this apparently powerful but shadowy transexual lobby? So apparently some took offence to a silly but off the cuff comment by Moore. Which incidentally was made in the midst of one of those tired old diatribes about how tough it is to be a woman and how it's all the fault of men. In fact maybe us men should be twittering her angrily because immediately following her offending comment was this:We are angry that men do not do enough.

The rest of it's here. Seeing red: the power of female anger (http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/01/seeing-red-power-female-anger)

It's so 1970s.

Never mind the transexuals. We all should telling her to apolgise. She's a bigot as is her friend Burchill who didn't bother to cloak it in her article. I suspect the biggest problem both of them have with transexuals is that they are or were originally male. Surely the worst offence in their eyes.

I'm delighted they got themselves into trouble. It exposed them nicely.

As for the freedom of speech, what a red herring. So a government minister called for their sacking. Big deal. She can also ask for world peace and free bread on Wednesdays. It's just a suggestion. Don't mean a thing.

Here's hoping they both moderate their attitudes from now on. Don't hold your breath.

Meanwhile this transexual lobby. Must google it!

Mac the Knife
17th Jan 2013, 16:36
"I suspect the biggest problem both of them have with transexuals is that they are or were originally male."

I beg your pardon?

Shome mishtake I think!

Mac

:ouch:

stuckgear
17th Jan 2013, 16:40
I suspect the biggest problem both of them have with transexuals is that they

dont aim to be frumpy and wear comfortable shoes.

FlyerFoto
17th Jan 2013, 16:44
I think most people would be very disappointed if they were to find a 'transexual lobby.'

Transexuals are not the 'ladyboys' so loved by many internet p0rn sites and are people who would be quite happy to be left to quietly get on with their lives.

As for Burchill, she has been a gobsh1te ever since her days on the music weeklies and why anyone should take her distorted ramblings as anything resembling the truth, is beyond me!

As for the other journo, I'm completely in the dark, not being a person who considers these people to have an important part in my life and my opinion forming...

stuckgear
17th Jan 2013, 16:46
I think most people would be very disappointed if they were to find a 'transexual lobby.'

is that like a waiting room ?

bugg smasher
17th Jan 2013, 16:56
Accessible only via the tradesmen entrance?

bluecode
17th Jan 2013, 17:01
"I suspect the biggest problem both of them have with transexuals is that they are or were originally male."

I beg your pardon?

Shome mishtake I think!

Mac

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/shiner.gif
Ah I see, there may be a certain ambiguity there. Blame my English teacher. Of course Moore wasn't previously male. As for Burchill, hmm?

What I meant of course as if you didn't know is that they have a problem with all males even the female ones. :E

As for the transexual lobby. Still no sign of it. I guess it's a media invention. I'm sure most of would wish that some of their more strident 'sisters' weren't so thin skinned about a throwaway comment and causing this whole kerfuffle.

As if they hadn't enough to be dealing with.

Tankertrashnav
17th Jan 2013, 17:13
As for the transexual lobby. Still no sign of it. I guess it's a media invention. I'm sure most of would wish that some of their more strident 'sisters' weren't so thin skinned about a throwaway comment and causing this whole kerfuffle.

I have a transexual niece. Used to be my nephew, now she's not. As far as I'm aware she's not in any lobby, real or imagined, although she's got one just inside her front door. Same as my gay friends, none of whom ever shout about their sexual orientation and wouldnt be seen dead at a "gay pride" rally. Like most transexuals and gay and lesbian people they just get on with their lives in the same way as the rest of us.

Knowing my niece I doubt if she has ever read The Observer in her life, and she's possibly never even heard of Julie Burchill or Suzanne Moore(lucky her!)

bluecode
17th Jan 2013, 17:44
Like most transexuals and gay and lesbian people they just get on with their lives in the same way as the rest of us.

Knowing my niece I doubt if she has ever read The Observer in her life, and she's possibly never even heard of Julie Burchill or Suzanne Moore(lucky her!) Exactly, which just make Burchill's outburst all the more odious.

Mac the Knife
17th Jan 2013, 17:47

Urrr.. I figured out that they didn't mean Burchhill or Moore.

I was thinking about female-to-male trans folks as well.

For some reason I seem to have a lot more of them.

Maybe it's just me....

Mac

:ok: