PDA

View Full Version : Scanner Question re Windows 8 64 bit

Tableview
13th Jan 2013, 18:01
I know I normally post about scammers,but this time it's about a scanner!

I bought a new Lenovo laptop with Windows 8 (which I'll just have to get used to) and my trusty, simple and reliable Canoscan Lide 30 which worked on my W7 machine doesn't work and there don't seem to be any drivers available for it on the Canon website and I am reluctant to start downloading fixes and so on, whether free or not, from other websites as I believe it's a route to disaster.

The decision I've made is to buy a new scanner and as the Canon has been so good, I've decided to get another one, this time the Canoscan Lide 210. I don't need anything sophisticated.

The problem is that according to the specs on Canon's website, Amazon, and other retailers, it is not supported by Windows 8,

OS Compatibility : Windows® 7, Windows Vista®, Windows XP and Mac OS® X v.10.4.1 - 10.63

but if I go the Canon download website, I can apparently download a driver and software for W8 (64 bit which is what mine is).

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : CanoScan LiDE210 (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/scanners/photo_scanners/canoscan_lide210#DriversAndSoftware)

It says that there is a driver and software, but no utilities or firmware for W8. I don't know what the latter implies or if it is important.

That would seem to be fine but I have a niggling doubt purely because I would have thought that the manufacturer and retailers would have updated their specs to say that it was supported by W8.

Am I correct in assuming that if I get the scanner and download the driver for W8 all will be well?

Thank you to anyone who can answer.

mixture
13th Jan 2013, 18:16
It says that there is a driver and software, but no utilities or firmware for W8. I don't know what the latter implies or if it is important.

Drivers and software is what you need to run a device day to day.

Utilities and firmware is what you need to troubleshoot or keep the internal gubbins up to date (former and latter respectively).

Milo Minderbinder
13th Jan 2013, 21:31
the downloads there give you all you need to get the scanner working

Tableview
13th Jan 2013, 21:49
Thank you both for your help!

Ancient Observer
15th Jan 2013, 10:44
Does 8 have Windows fax and scan? (A quick google says it does)

When my antique HP all-in-one refused to scan, (no software update for Win 7) either Milo or Mixture pointed out that the Windows fax and scan works just as well as the HP software.
Which it does.
I have to remember to "pull" the scan in, rather than send it from the HP, but as long as I do that it meets my needs.
I have not tried it with good quality photos yet.