PDA

View Full Version : Flying Instructor Route?

Trainee pilot
17th Apr 2001, 19:54
I am about to start training for the CPL/IR/MCC and will come out the other end with only 300 hours. I am sure many of you might be in the same position. So what about the instructor route? Is it still a valid option to build hours into the 1000+ category or will the Airlines start taking on people now with only 300 hours average? At a cost of over £5000 for the rating is it worth the gamble? I see two choices, do the CPL then the FIR, whilst an instructor do the IR/MCC and apply......or rattle off the CPL/IR/MCC, apply for 3-4 months then if no luck do the FIR after having wasted a few months......which is the option?!? arrrgghhhh!!!
PLEASE ALL WRITE YOUR OPINION AS THE MORE OF YOU WHO DO, THE BETTER WE CAN ALL SEE WHICH ROAD THE TREND MIGHT FOLLOW BEFORE WASTING TIME OR MONEY...........

BLUEBARON
17th Apr 2001, 22:05
I would think seriously about doing the FI first.

I finished my CAP 509 course in March 98 and after 2 1/2 years job hunting i did the FI course. I wish i had done it sooner. Don't forget most people will search for about 2 years before employment so the more experience you get the better, also to reval an IR will cost you approx 1000 pounds. So just keeping current will cost a fortune.

I spent 4500 on my FI course but which included 30 hours training. but i now have 250 hours instruction and building at a rate of 100 hours a month so it's a good way to build hours and inprove your skills.

hope this helps

Nick Mahon
18th Apr 2001, 16:08
TP, I suggest you go on the flight instructors forum, theres sure to be a wealth of information there.

Good luck

Luke SkyToddler
18th Apr 2001, 20:45
FI course wins every time. There are a 'select' few companies that will hire 250 hour pilots, and they get absolutely hammered with 509er's CVs every day. The majority of employers want to see some sort of reasonable flying experience, about 1000 hours seems to be the magic number at the moment. Whether those requirements will go up, down or sideways over the next year or so, is the big question that no one can really answer ... but the FI course is guaranteed insurance, at least you'll be getting paid to build your experience. And, there IS an instructor shortage starting to make itself felt around the country. Working conditions for instructors are going to become a lot better in the next year or so as this JAR thing kicks in properly, because no one will have any money left to do FI courses any more.

Brest Bonjour
18th Apr 2001, 23:44
Would appreciate if anyone could recommend where to do a FI course, particularly in the south east region.

Happy Landings.

BLUEBARON
19th Apr 2001, 16:12
I did mine at european Flyers with a chapo called Martin Evans. Most enjoyable and i would recommend him highly.

He does get very booked up though so don't delay.

DeltaT
20th Apr 2001, 21:15
Most places will employ someone they have trained, so look more closely at whether they have a need you can fill when you have got the FI rating.

Trainee pilot
23rd Apr 2001, 12:25
Excellent replys, thanks all for your time!