PDA

View Full Version : Tree Murder?

tony draper
10th Jan 2013, 17:27
Weird item just been on the local news,a Golf Course has had a entire copse of trees in the middle of their greens deliberately killed by having holes drilled into their bases and super strength weed killer pumped into them,the item featured the slain trees being cut down and hauled away leaving the land bare
Hmmm,seems a bit over the top for a run of the mill vandal,who benefits from having a untidy copse of trees removed from a Golf Course??:E
I assume the trees were under some kind of protection order.

west lakes
10th Jan 2013, 17:35
Though i did notice they appeared to block the view across open fields from some houses, or am I being a bit too suspicious? I suppose it makes those houses susceptible to impact from badly aimed golf balls as well!

tony draper
10th Jan 2013, 17:47
Reminds me of when property developers bought up a lot of old warehouses on the riverside west of the bridges, warehouse with various protected status on em for historical reasons, surprising how many of these accidentally caught fire and burned down,sometimes twice if the first burn down didn't do the job.:uhoh:

ShyTorque
10th Jan 2013, 18:20
This was a possible treeorist attack and someone should bough down and accept that Special Branch need to investigate to its very roots.

lomapaseo
10th Jan 2013, 18:24
I vaguely recall an incident with a view of Sydney harbour being blocked by a tree that took suddenly ill. The locals managed to have it replaced with an ugly green screen to preserve the blocked view even with the tree now dead..

No doubt somebody will have a clearer story on this

tony draper
10th Jan 2013, 18:35
Wonder how one goes about hiring a Vegetation Hitman.
"You get the other five grand when the job is done"
"Hold out on me and you can kiss goodbye to your lawn"
:uhoh:

Lord Spandex Masher
10th Jan 2013, 18:42
ST, leaf it out.

OFSO
10th Jan 2013, 18:42
I apologise for introducing aviation content to J.B., but in the 1990's my local light aviation airport in Germany was the subject of a vicious attack on a group of fine old trees slightly to one side of the runway end. They were all cut down during night hours, thus freeing users of the airport of the possible but remote risk of crashing into them.

It was reported by outraged locals to the police who subsequently said they "had no idea who might have committed the dastardly deed or for what reason" which proves there are total idiots in the German police force as everywhere else.

sled dog
10th Jan 2013, 19:05
I am a golfer, but have never seen trees on a green :confused:

tony draper
10th Jan 2013, 19:17
Well perhaps not on a green,but one suspects their ghost will be ere long.:rolleyes:

Worrals in the wilds
10th Jan 2013, 19:19
Reminds me of when property developers bought up a lot of old warehouses on the riverside west of the bridges, warehouse with various protected status on em for historical reasons, surprising how many of these accidentally caught fire and burned down,sometimes twice if the first burn down didn't do the job.

There was a well known heritage listed pub in Brisbane that was torched about five times without success. It became known as the Pub That Wouldn't Die. Eventually the owners gave up and renovated it:\.

Lompaseo, those signs are common in Australia, particularly in beachside towns where water views can add a lot to property value, which led to a spate of tree poisonings in the 1990s property boom. IIRC Noosa Council were the first to do it and the idea caught on.

11Fan
10th Jan 2013, 19:31
I may be going out on a limb here, but wouldn't that tree removal be par for the course?

lomapaseo
10th Jan 2013, 20:52
I may be going out on a limb here, but wouldn't that tree removal be par for the course?

it wouldn't help me. My balls aim for trees

Blacksheep
10th Jan 2013, 21:15
I once teed off, the ball hit a tree 50 yards away and bounced back, ending up 20 yards behind the tee.

I eventually gave golf up as a bad job. The trees, knee deep grass and water features had a strange attraction for my balls and I would get through half a dozen every round. :(

11Fan
10th Jan 2013, 21:40
Seems appropriate for this. Warning: Language.

pcnFbCCgTo4

ShyTorque
10th Jan 2013, 21:51
ST, leaf it out.

Damn, I've been twigged. :O

birrddog
10th Jan 2013, 22:00
ST, you're going to need to branch out

AlpineSkier
10th Jan 2013, 22:02
Surprised not already mentioned, but the linked story shows a wealthy house-owner being fined 140,000 for having protected trees cut down.

Wealthy homeowner fined 125,000 after felling neighbour's tree that blocked sea views from his hot tub | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2238252/Wealthy-homeowner-fined-125-000-felling-neighbours-tree-blocked-sea-views-hot-tub.html)

I think that's a lot for trees ( although I approve of the principle) when physical violence of severe levels can be sanctioned with as little as 500 AND NO JAIL SENTENCE.

Please do no not allow my comment to draw you off thread.

G-CPTN
10th Jan 2013, 22:21
I think that's a lot for trees The amount of the fine was calculated to include the increase in value of the property due to the exposed view, so the miscreant couldn't benefit from his actions.

Lord Spandex Masher
10th Jan 2013, 22:36
Fir cods sake these tree joaks seem to be way too poplar and they are pretty ferny but yew know what, I really pine for those fish puns as I've run out of tree joaks and now I'm stumped.

david1300
10th Jan 2013, 23:01
@birddog - woof woof, or should that be bark bark

Takan Inchovit
10th Jan 2013, 23:31
I've seen many a golfer retire because they couldn't get over their first root of the day.

tony draper
10th Jan 2013, 23:35
Looking at that Flight radar map of my area it is surprising how many golf courses there are within a few square miles,seems to be more golfers about than one could shake a stick at to need all them.
:uhoh:

sisemen
10th Jan 2013, 23:37
Here in the wild west such destruction is not uncommon.

Trees are regularly put to death to achieve views over the Swan river and when certain ex Federal pollies are charged over the offence they manage to get off :mad:

Pubs out in the wheatbelt towns also catch fire with regular monotony. It's a dead giveaway when a town of about 500 people with a massive Federation style pub which was built when the town was 5,000 gets sold for millions of dollars. You just know it's going to have some faulty wiring somewhere very soon.